Trail discovery

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., Mar 15, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    I am so stoked. I finally got the packet I requested from the Fernan Ranger district for "trails". I
    specifically called and asked for trail info as the website is completely lame, there are no hiking
    guides for the area, and the best part of the single track I DID find last year were awesomely sweet
    and I want some more!!

    I got the Idaho Topo-CD software a few weeks ago, and I've been trying to cross reference these
    absolutely lame hand drawn maps that are part of the packet with the topo maps... keeping in mind
    that while the software is excellent, some of the info on the maps is really outdated: roads aren't
    on there and so on...

    I have no idea how well used or (un)maintained some of these trails are, but I'm thinking what the
    heck... just take the bike and go for an explore. The practical side of me thinks I should hike them
    first, take some trail tools and scope it out, but then *what if* it was perfectly rideable and I
    didn't bring the bike??!!!

    I have heard rumors that an acquaintance of mine has been working on the N Fork Coeur d'Alene River
    trail but I haven't been able to get in touch with her yet.

    You can be assured this may generate some interesting RR's this summer.

    penny

    --
    me and my bike: www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm

    Tags:

  2. Spider

    Spider Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am so stoked. I finally got the packet I requested from the Fernan Ranger district for "trails".
    > I specifically called and asked for trail info as the website is completely lame, there are no
    > hiking guides for the area, and the best part of the single track I DID find last year were
    > awesomely sweet and I want some more!!
    >
    > I got the Idaho Topo-CD software a few weeks ago, and I've been trying to cross reference these
    > absolutely lame hand drawn maps that are part of the packet with the topo maps... keeping in mind
    > that while the software is excellent, some of the info on the maps is really outdated: roads
    > aren't on there and so on...
    >
    > I have no idea how well used or (un)maintained some of these trails are, but I'm thinking what the
    > heck... just take the bike and go for an explore. The practical side of me thinks I should hike
    > them first, take some trail tools and scope it out, but then *what if* it was perfectly rideable
    > and I didn't bring the bike??!!!
    >
    > I have heard rumors that an acquaintance of mine has been working on the N Fork Coeur d'Alene
    > River trail but I haven't been able to get in touch with her yet.
    >
    > You can be assured this may generate some interesting RR's this summer.

    Instead of going alone, you could get the Barney Patrol to give a hand (and to be there in case
    trouble develops.)

    E-mail me if you are interested. I can certainly make some weekends available.

    Spider

  3. Darsh

    Darsh Guest

    > I am so stoked. I finally got the packet I requested from the Fernan
    Ranger
    > district for "trails". I specifically called and asked for trail info as the website is completely
    > lame, there are no hiking guides for the area,
    and
    > the best part of the single track I DID find last year were awesomely
    sweet
    > and I want some more!!
    >
    > I got the Idaho Topo-CD software a few weeks ago, and I've been trying to cross reference these
    > absolutely lame hand drawn maps that are part of
    the
    > packet with the topo maps... keeping in mind that while the software is excellent, some of the
    > info on the maps is really outdated: roads aren't
    on
    > there and so on...
    >
    > I have no idea how well used or (un)maintained some of these trails are, but I'm thinking what the
    > heck... just take the bike and go for an
    explore.
    > The practical side of me thinks I should hike them first, take some trail tools and scope it out,
    > but then *what if* it was perfectly rideable and I didn't bring the bike??!!!
    >
    > I have heard rumors that an acquaintance of mine has been working on the
    > Fork Coeur d'Alene River trail but I haven't been able to get in touch
    with
    > her yet.
    >
    > You can be assured this may generate some interesting RR's this summer.
    >
    > penny

    Thanks for the info, we will be sure to shut all trials down in that area.

    hehe

    darsh

    > --
    > me and my bike: www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm

  4. Penny S.

    Spider wrote:
    > Instead of going alone, you could get the Barney Patrol to give a hand (and to be there in case
    > trouble develops.)

    Hey, - screw you guys..(just kidding). I figured you guys would be **interested** to hear what kind
    of cool trails are hiding out in the Coeur d'Alene, St. Joe and Selkerk mountains. Anyway the worst
    case scenario I've come up with is downed logs every 15 feet or some serious hike-a-bike.

    > E-mail me if you are interested. I can certainly make some weekends available.
    >
    > Spider

    I'll post.

    Here's some on my "need to explore" check off list: If anyone has any info pass it on. Also... does
    anyone know if you can take a bike into a Wild and Scenic River corridor? This is NOT the same
    designation as a wilderness area. Two of the trails on my list are in them.

    Chilco Mt: 10 miles of ridge top 6000' above Lake Pend Orelle. NF CDA river...20 miles one way along
    the river St Joe River trail 13 miles one way (wild and scenic)

    there's not much elevation gain on these two rivers but I figure fast and fun riding, and they are
    high alpine corridors.

    Independence Creek area ... network supposed has about 35 miles of trail up around the cream and
    surrounding mountains.

    Spider do you know anything about the coldwater ridge ride in the Selway/Clearwater area? Also, I'm,
    looking at the Lochsa Canyon trail, another one in a wild and scenic corridor. Other rides in that
    area would be appreciated.... but Dang that country is really steep. We spend weekends up on the
    Lochsa and SF clearwater rafting but I'd prefer to ride, frankly.

    Penny

  5. Spider

    Spider Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> I am so stoked. I finally got the packet I requested from the Fernan Ranger district for
    > >> "trails". I specifically called and asked for trail info as the website is completely lame,
    > >> there are no hiking guides for the area, and the best part of the single track I DID find last
    > >> year were awesomely sweet and I want some more!!
    >
    > Darsh wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the info, we will be sure to shut all trials down in that area. darsh
    > >
    > Spider wrote:
    > > Instead of going alone, you could get the Barney Patrol to give a hand (and to be there in case
    > > trouble develops.)
    > >

    > Hey, - screw you guys..(just kidding). I figured you guys would be **interested** to hear what
    > kind of cool trails are hiding out in the Coeur d'Alene, St. Joe and Selkerk mountains. Anyway the
    > worst case scenario I've come up with is downed logs every 15 feet or some serious hike-a-bike.

    Aww, I was just volunteering to be a second pair of hands in case of real trouble - fall-n-break
    something - you know. When it comes to riding I'm sure you could drop me easy.

    > > E-mail me if you are interested. I can certainly make some weekends available.
    > >
    > > Spider
    >
    > I'll post.
    >
    > Here's some on my "need to explore" check off list: If anyone has any info pass it on. Also...
    > does anyone know if you can take a bike into a Wild and Scenic River corridor? This is NOT the
    > same designation as a wilderness area. Two of the trails on my list are in them.
    >
    > Chilco Mt: 10 miles of ridge top 6000' above Lake Pend Orelle. NF CDA river...20 miles one way
    > along the river St Joe River trail 13 miles one way (wild and scenic)
    >
    > there's not much elevation gain on these two rivers but I figure fast and fun riding, and they are
    > high alpine corridors.
    >
    > Independence Creek area ... network supposed has about 35 miles of trail up around the cream and
    > surrounding mountains.
    >
    > Spider do you know anything about the coldwater ridge ride in the Selway/Clearwater area? Also,
    > I'm, looking at the Lochsa Canyon trail, another one in a wild and scenic corridor. Other rides in
    > that area would be appreciated.... but Dang that country is really steep. We spend weekends up on
    > the Lochsa and SF clearwater rafting but I'd prefer to ride, frankly.

    I don't get up/East that often. I stick close to home because I ride alone too much, and need to be
    close to civilization in case I hurt myself. I want to check those areas out (especially the river
    rides,) but don't have the balls to get out in the back country without a back-up. Like I said -
    Barney Patrol, LOL!

    Let me know - and sorry about not being clear.

    Spider

  6. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Spider wrote:
    >> Spider wrote:
    >>> Instead of going alone, you could get the Barney Patrol to give a hand (and to be there in case
    >>> trouble develops.)
    >>>

    >> Hey, - screw you guys..(just kidding). I figured you guys would be **interested** to hear what
    >> kind of cool trails are hiding out in the Coeur d'Alene, St. Joe and Selkerk mountains. Anyway
    >> the worst case scenario I've come up with is downed logs every 15 feet or some serious
    >> hike-a-bike.
    > > I don't get up/East that often. I stick close to home because I ride
    > alone too much, and need to be close to civilization in case I hurt myself. I want to check those
    > areas out (especially the river rides,) but don't have the balls to get out in the back country
    > without a back-up. Like I said - Barney Patrol, LOL!
    >
    > Let me know - and sorry about not being clear.
    >
    > Spider

    I get it -d'oh!- YOU are the barney. Gawd I am slow sometimes.

    keep ya posted.

    penny

  7. I know that the idea of using a GPS while 'discovering' trails has been mentioned before - I suspect
    that it depends on your circle of friends - and as time passes the advances in computer aided
    trekking (include in that whatever activity you wish) is becoming more and more viable - the group I
    hang out with is into a trading of sorts - we each do our own thing but we share some of the
    pathways to get there - via exchanging gps tracks - which with one more step can be added to topo
    maps - the software most of us use is Topo 4 by Delorme - the maps at least for Michigan are
    reasonably up to date - the ones from the goverment as you pointed out are a bit 'lame' - and may
    not show the expressway that was built some 15 years ago - let alone the logging trail that got
    created last year - Anyway just sharing - I do hope you enjoy the upcoming adventures

  8. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am so stoked. I finally got the packet I requested from the Fernan Ranger district for "trails".
    > I specifically called and asked for trail info as the website is completely lame, there are no
    > hiking guides for the area, and the best part of the single track I DID find last year were
    > awesomely sweet and I want some more!!
    >
    > I got the Idaho Topo-CD software a few weeks ago, and I've been trying to cross reference these
    > absolutely lame hand drawn maps that are part of the packet with the topo maps... keeping in mind
    > that while the software is excellent, some of the info on the maps is really outdated: roads
    > aren't on there and so on...
    >
    > I have no idea how well used or (un)maintained some of these trails are, but I'm thinking what the
    > heck... just take the bike and go for an explore. The practical side of me thinks I should hike
    > them first, take some trail tools and scope it out, but then *what if* it was perfectly rideable
    > and I didn't bring the bike??!!!
    >
    > I have heard rumors that an acquaintance of mine has been working on the N Fork Coeur d'Alene
    > River trail but I haven't been able to get in touch with her yet.
    >
    > You can be assured this may generate some interesting RR's this summer.
    >
    > penny

    That's awesome Penny. You'll boldly go where no one has gone before!

    Paladin

  9. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am so stoked. I finally got the packet I requested from the Fernan Ranger district for "trails".
    > I specifically called and asked for trail info as the website is completely lame, there are no
    > hiking guides for the area, and the best part of the single track I DID find last year were
    > awesomely sweet and I want some more!!
    >
    > I got the Idaho Topo-CD software a few weeks ago, and I've been trying to cross reference these
    > absolutely lame hand drawn maps that are part of the packet with the topo maps... keeping in mind
    > that while the software is excellent, some of the info on the maps is really outdated: roads
    > aren't on there and so on...
    >
    > I have no idea how well used or (un)maintained some of these trails are, but I'm thinking what the
    > heck... just take the bike and go for an explore. The practical side of me thinks I should hike
    > them first, take some trail tools and scope it out, but then *what if* it was perfectly rideable
    > and I didn't bring the bike??!!!
    >
    > I have heard rumors that an acquaintance of mine has been working on the N Fork Coeur d'Alene
    > River trail but I haven't been able to get in touch with her yet.
    >
    > You can be assured this may generate some interesting RR's this summer.
    >
    > penny

    I love exploring and finding new trails or routes. Recently I tried the topo map software idea which
    you mentioned, and didn't have much luck. Mostly I found lot's of barbed wire fences and cattle. I
    did find a few backroads that don't exactally qualify as singletrack but are fun to ride because
    they are close to home.

    I've actually had better luck just searching MTBR and talking to folks at various bike shops or at
    trail heads.

    Hope you do better than I did... Good luck

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com