Trail Etiquette - Single Track Up/down Hill

biobrandedarmorzet

Jun 13, 2015
Hey all, I'm a total newbie in the dirt. About 18 months ago I inherited a Trek Fuel EX8-26 full floater, nice bike. About a year ago I started riding 10 - 15 miles a day, 5 days a week. After 2400 miles on paved trails my friend bought a new Trek EX7-29 and talked me into some trail riding. It's a lot more fun than I ever thought.

We've dome some good rides on 'green' trails. Most are wider dual track or fire trails but now we're finding some more technical and harder trails to ride.

What is the trail guideline for a single track? Who has the right of way up hill or down hill?

I am assuming on wider 'boulevards' you follow the customary rules of the road just as you do when driving a car in your respective country. Stay right as necessary, pass on the left when at all possible, give a little warning before passing. Hikers and horses have the right of way.

Generally, the rider going UPHILL, has the right of way. The logic is, it's a lot easier to restart going downhill than it is going uphill. On a very steep hill, this may not apply, but for most rides and general rolling hill type action, that's the rule of thumb.
I've yielded right of way going uphill when a group of five or six bikes is descending and I'm alone, but that was my election, they usually are ready to yield.

Some don't follow the common sense Etiquette that makes our trails safer and more fun for all...
Always be prepared to stop and don't ride at race speeds on two way trails,,
Always be able to stop In the distance you can see,,slow down for blind corners,,, BUT most Importantly remember,, when your line of sight falls short
call out, "Rider Up" and call it out LOUD !,, even if there is no one there,,but what if there was ???

If you see ear phones watch out ! they are not paying attention..

If you want to run the fast two ways fast,, be the first In the park and If there Is only one entrance,, well the Odds are in your favor for one time through,,,maybe

I think hikers yield to bikes, bikes and hikers yield to horses. You don't want to spook a horse. Trust me.

Other than that, it's the uphill person who generally has right of way. However, if I'm going uphill on a relatively easy part and I see some people flying down a fast part I'll often dismount and let them through. After all, it's the fast downhill that makes much of mountain biking fun!

Bikes yield to hikers and horses and hikers yield to horses is the correct order but generally hikers will yield to bikes and horses

Yes bikers are supposed to yield to hikers. I yield to hikers whenever possible, and always make sure I am willing and able to do so. However, it is much easier/quicker for hikers to step aside than for a cyclist to slow to a stop and dismount. So, often by the time I get slowed down to a dismount speed they are already standing out of the way and it doesn't make a lot of sense for all parties to clear the trail. So I just ride by slowly, and smile as I thank them.

Totalarmordestine said:
Generally, the rider going UPHILL, has the right of way. The logic is, it's a lot easier to restart going downhill than it is going uphill. On a very steep hill, this may not apply, but for most rides and general rolling hill type action, that's the rule of thumb.
I've yielded right of way going uphill when a group of five or six bikes is descending and I'm alone, but that was my election, they usually are ready to yield.
I agree with that - the uphill rider has the right of way. Even in motor vehicles, it's always the one climbing who is given preference. But over here, some drivers are so rude that they don't observe that unwritten rule. They just go as they wish. There are narrow roads here that used to be a one way direction but for economical purposes, they made it 2 way. That priority or preference is sometimes being trampled upon. Now you know that biking here is a risk.