Trail etiquette???

Status
Not open for further replies.
> Mike Vandeman wrote:
> > In my experience, yes, 100% of mountain bikers lie. CONSTANTLY.
>
All generalizations are untrue, probably including this one.

Frank

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Mike Vandeman wrote:
> >> In my experience, yes, 100% of mountain bikers lie. CONSTANTLY.
> >
> > Sorry mikey boy. You are the lier and the above statement proves that beyond any doubt. I
> > believe most sane people would agree with me that it is not realistically possible for 100% of a
> > group of people to constantly lie even if they tried to.
>
> Everything I say is a lie.
>

That trick only works on Star Trek. ;^)

Mike

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > Mike Vandeman wrote:
> >> In my experience, yes, 100% of mountain bikers lie. CONSTANTLY.
> >
> > Sorry mikey boy. You are the lier and the above statement proves that beyond any doubt. I
> > believe most sane people would agree with me that it is not realistically possible for 100% of a
> > group of people to constantly lie even if they tried to.
>
> Everything I say is a lie.

"Everything Harry tells you is a lie. Remember that. Everything Harry tells you is a lie!"

"Now listen to this carefully, Norman. I am lying."

C.Q.C.

"Logic is a little tweeting bird, chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which
smell bad."

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 22:15:39 -0500, "Frank Looper" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Mike Vandeman wrote:
>> > In my experience, yes, 100% of mountain bikers lie. CONSTANTLY.
>>
>All generalizations are untrue, probably including this one.
>
>Frank
>
Mikey is the source of all truth, so disagreeing with him means you are lying or wrong.

Even when presented with reality, he persists in his beliefs. No new information can enter
his world.

The more opposition and attention, the happier he is, because he can be a martyr and the center of
attention. Accomplishing anything is irrelevant.

Many psychoses have similar symptoms.

Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)
------------------------------------------------
at the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA Please reply to: garyDOTschwartzATpoboxDOTcom

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:9MSyb.29352$yM6.13764@lakeread06...
> >
> > "Mikey spewed:
> > > You expect MOUNTAIN BIKERS to obey the law?????????????? ROTFL
> > >
> > .
> > >
> > Wow! An honest-to-goodness unsolicited Mikey V response to one of my original posts. I've only
> > been posting here for a few months, so it
> feels
> > almost like a right of passage. Its one thing to feed the troll, but
its
> > another to actually draw him out of his delusional cave and have him
> comment
> > on a real conversational thread. I'm so proud!
> >
> > BTW Mikey -- I am a mountain biker and I do obey the law (okay....there
> have
> > been a few speeding tickets over the years.) Are you now going to call
me
> a
> > liar? Please!!! Then I'll really feel like I'm part of the club! I
> figure
> > I can't really call myself a true citizen of AM-B until my character has been denigrated by the
> > resident whack-job.
> >
> > Tom
> >
> >
>
> Hehehe...wait until you've been made "An example of...".
>
> http://tinyurl.com/xch4
>
> or a "Death Threat" like this one...hehehehe...it still cracks me up!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/xchm

<takes bow> ',;~}~

Heheheheh, that still tickles me too MD - thanks for the reminder!

Shaun aRe

No kidding. I ride in Plano Texas where everybody is somebody, somebody special. My last three rides
went like this: high speed climb with a tight loop and I encountered a two year old on the track.
Off to the trees and a nice slick knee. Two days later, a family stops me on the same climb to ask
directions, I clip out like a retard and down on an already bruised hip. Next day, dog sans leash
and a full force deltoid bruise which will keep me road only for at least two weeks. Wonder what
part of off road biking these walkers are into? Mike.

--
If we see the divine stream, the unique flow, flowing from Genesis to revelation, we will be
preserved, protected, strengthened, brought into the Lord's aspiration for oneness, and perfected
into one for the fulfillment of His heart's desire. "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:m0wyb.26059$yM6.1163@lakeread06...
> The local city park has about 7 miles of dedicated mountain bike trail. Nothing spectacular, but
> fun to ride and only ten minutes from my house. The trails consists of three loops of singletrack
> linked by a fire road. All three loops are marked with entrances from the fire road, and the
exits
> back onto the road are posted with good-sized "Do Not Enter" signs. The intent is obviously to
> have one way traffic on the singletrack portions of the trail.
>
> Over the past few weeks, I've passed over a dozen riders coming at me from the wrong
> direction. The first few surprised the hell out of me, then I started commenting on the way
> by, something like, "Hey, this is a one-way loop," or "wrong direction," or "travel goes this
> way." Usually I just
got
> a blank stare in return. On today's ride, I just rode by without
commenting
> as it seems I'm fighting a losing battle.
>
> I must say that most have has politely pulled off to the side to let me pass, a sort of tacit
> acknowledgement that I had the right of way. None
the
> less, it still irks me a bit. My biggest beef is that I'm not expecting someone to be coming at me
> with a closure rate of 20+mph on a skinny
forest
> track. My assumption on a one way trail is that there wont't be any
riders
> coming at me. Everytime it happens it gives me a bit of a start, and several times I've been
> forced to brake to make sure there would be clearance to pass. Not that big a deal, its just that
> I'm not expecting other riders when coming around corners or pointing downhill.
>
> Personally I could care less if the trails are uni- or bidirectional, I'm sure any safety benefits
> are marginal as long as everyone knows what to expect. That said, as long as they are marked one
> way I assume people should adhere to them or else constitue a hazard for those who expect the
> trail to be clear of oncoming riders. Is riding backwards on a one way trail an etiquitte breach,
> a safety issue, an annoynace, or all three? Or am I just too uptight? Intersted to hear other's
> opinions and related experiences.
>
> Tom

That is a lie. I know because I originally told that very lie before. Before it was a popular lie.

--
If we see the divine stream, the unique flow, flowing from Genesis to revelation, we will be
preserved, protected, strengthened, brought into the Lord's aspiration for oneness, and perfected
into one for the fulfillment of His heart's desire. "Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:eek:[email protected]...
> "Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > > Mike Vandeman wrote:
> > >> In my experience, yes, 100% of mountain bikers lie. CONSTANTLY.
> > >
> > > Sorry mikey boy. You are the lier and the above statement proves that beyond any doubt. I
> > > believe most sane people would agree with me that it is not realistically possible for 100% of
> > > a group of people to constantly lie even if they tried to.
> >
> > Everything I say is a lie.
>
> "Everything Harry tells you is a lie. Remember that. Everything Harry
tells
> you is a lie!"
>
> "Now listen to this carefully, Norman. I am lying."
>
> C.Q.C.
>
> "Logic is a little tweeting bird, chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which
> smell bad."

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 02:33:54 GMT, "Michael Cowart MD" <[email protected]> wrote:

.No kidding. I ride in Plano Texas where everybody is somebody, somebody .special. My last three
rides went like this: high speed climb with a tight .loop and I encountered a two year old on the
track. Off to the trees and a .nice slick knee. Two days later, a family stops me on the same climb
to ask .directions, I clip out like a retard and down on an already bruised hip. .Next day, dog sans
leash and a full force deltoid bruise which will keep me .road only for at least two weeks. Wonder
what part of off road biking these .walkers are into? Mike.

By now you should have gotten the message: mountain biking sucks. Big time.
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandi****, you are ****ing asshole. No one here gives a rats ass what you have to say. Shut the **** up.

There, I feel better now.
Have a wondrful day!
Now I think I'll go enjoy some some mountain biking where I can enjoy the wonderful West Virginia wildlife.

On 7 Dec 2003 09:33:41 +1050, DaveWV <[email protected]> wrote:

.Mike Vandi****, you are ****ing asshole. No one here gives a rats ass .what you have to say. Shut
the **** up. . .There, I feel better now. Have a wondrful day! Now I think I'll go .enjoy some some
mountain biking where I can enjoy the wonderful West .Virginia wildlife.

Did you say something?
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

"tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<m0wyb.26059$yM6.1163@lakeread06>...
> The local city park has about 7 miles of dedicated mountain bike trail. Nothing spectacular, but
> fun to ride and only ten minutes from my house. The trails consists of three loops of singletrack
> linked by a fire road. All three loops are marked with entrances from the fire road, and the exits
> back onto the road are posted with good-sized "Do Not Enter" signs. The intent is obviously to
> have one way traffic on the singletrack portions of the trail.
>
> Over the past few weeks, I've passed over a dozen riders coming at me from the wrong direction.
> The first few surprised the hell out of me, then I started commenting on the way by, something
> like, "Hey, this is a one-way loop," or "wrong direction," or "travel goes this way." Usually I
> just got a blank stare in return. On today's ride, I just rode by without commenting as it seems
> I'm fighting a losing battle.
>
> I must say that most have has politely pulled off to the side to let me pass, a sort of tacit
> acknowledgement that I had the right of way. None the less, it still irks me a bit. My biggest
> beef is that I'm not expecting someone to be coming at me with a closure rate of 20+mph on a
> skinny forest track. My assumption on a one way trail is that there wont't be any riders coming at
> me. Everytime it happens it gives me a bit of a start, and several times I've been forced to brake
> to make sure there would be clearance to pass. Not that big a deal, its just that I'm not
> expecting other riders when coming around corners or pointing downhill.
>
> Personally I could care less if the trails are uni- or bidirectional, I'm sure any safety benefits
> are marginal as long as everyone knows what to expect. That said, as long as they are marked one
> way I assume people should adhere to them or else constitue a hazard for those who expect the
> trail to be clear of oncoming riders. Is riding backwards on a one way trail an etiquitte breach,
> a safety issue, an annoynace, or all three? Or am I just too uptight? Intersted to hear other's
> opinions and related experiences.
>
> Tom

Trying to teach a mountain biker "etiquette" is like trying to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of
time and it only annoys the pig.

Terri Alvillar

"Terri Alvillar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Trying to teach a mountain biker "etiquette" is like trying to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste
> of time and it only annoys the pig.

Therefore I propose we all pitch in and buy Terri a karaoke machine for Fatmas.

Bill "the Beatles' 'I'm A Loser' apt first choice" S.

> Trying to teach a mountain biker "etiquette" is like trying to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste
> of time and it only annoys the pig.
>
> Terri Alvillar
>

Learned to sing yet mikey?
--

On 8 Dec 2003 08:09:24 -0800, [email protected] (Terri Alvillar) wrote:

."tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<m0wyb.26059$yM6.1163@lakeread06>...
.> The local city park has about 7 miles of dedicated mountain bike trail. .> Nothing spectacular,
but fun to ride and only ten minutes from my house. .> The trails consists of three loops of
singletrack linked by a fire road. .> All three loops are marked with entrances from the fire road,
and the exits .> back onto the road are posted with good-sized "Do Not Enter" signs. The .> intent
is obviously to have one way traffic on the singletrack portions of .> the trail. .> .> Over the
past few weeks, I've passed over a dozen riders coming at me from .> the wrong direction. The first
few surprised the hell out of me, then I .> started commenting on the way by, something like, "Hey,
this is a one-way .> loop," or "wrong direction," or "travel goes this way." Usually I just got .> a
blank stare in return. On today's ride, I just rode by without commenting .> as it seems I'm
fighting a losing battle. .> .> I must say that most have has politely pulled off to the side to let
me .> pass, a sort of tacit acknowledgement that I had the right of way. None the .> less, it still
irks me a bit. My biggest beef is that I'm not expecting .> someone to be coming at me with a
closure rate of 20+mph on a skinny forest .> track. My assumption on a one way trail is that there
wont't be any riders .> coming at me. Everytime it happens it gives me a bit of a start, and .>
several times I've been forced to brake to make sure there would be .> clearance to pass. Not that
big a deal, its just that I'm not expecting .> other riders when coming around corners or pointing
downhill. .> .> Personally I could care less if the trails are uni- or bidirectional, I'm .> sure
any safety benefits are marginal as long as everyone knows what to .> expect. That said, as long as
they are marked one way I assume people .> should adhere to them or else constitue a hazard for
those who expect the .> trail to be clear of oncoming riders. Is riding backwards on a one way .>
trail an etiquitte breach, a safety issue, an annoynace, or all three? Or .> am I just too uptight?
Intersted to hear other's opinions and related .> experiences. .> .> Tom . . .Trying to teach a
mountain biker "etiquette" is like trying to teach a .pig to sing. It's a waste of time and it only
annoys the pig. . .Terri Alvillar

I think you just went over their heads.
===

Status
Not open for further replies.