Trail mapping GPS?

kantspel

Guest
I'm in the market for a cheap gps unit that I only need for one
application, making trail maps. Can anyone help me out with this?
Googling got me so far, but I'm having a tough time wading through all
the different brands/models/features.

I want to make a map of my favorite local trail which is very compact
(lots of trail on not a lot of land) so the unit will need to take
frequent map points and be reasonably accurate. My budget is under $200
and that will need to cover the GPS, software, and hopefully a bar mount.

The part I'm most worried about is the ability to take very frequent map
points. The first trail that I want to map is extremely dense and so I
figure there will need to be map points every few yards. If the unit
can't take points that often then I guess I'll have to re ride it over
and over to get the density of points needed, basicly a running average.
In the latter case it will need to be accurate enough that each ride
will line up and not be too far offset from previouse trips.

1. Any recommendations or anti reccomendations for the GPS unit?
2. Is there a particular feature(s) that I should be keeping an eye on?
3. Will I need to get additional software to make my life easier or
will the GPS come bundled with what I need (the end goal is to print a map)?

Garmin has come out with new models so the Legend should be fairly cheap.
Bought it new for $150 about a year ago. I like national geographic map
software to make maps and Garmin Mapsource Topo to load into unit.

http://gpsinformation.net/

http://www.gps-practice-and-fun.com/index.html

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/

news:[email protected]...

Garmin Geko 201
--
Pete Rissler
http://web1.greatbasin.net/~rissler/

kantspel <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I want to make a map of my favorite local trail which is very compact

> (lots of trail on not a lot of land) so the unit will need to take
> frequent map points and be reasonably accurate. My budget is under $200
> and that will need to cover the GPS, software, and hopefully a bar mount.
>
> The part I'm most worried about is the ability to take very frequent map
> points. The first trail that I want to map is extremely dense and so I
> figure there will need to be map points every few yards. If the unit
> can't take points that often then I guess I'll have to re ride it over
> and over to get the density of points needed, basicly a running average.
> In the latter case it will need to be accurate enough that each ride
> will line up and not be too far offset from previouse trips.

I have a basic yellow eTrex ($100) with a handlebar mount ($15),
homemade serial-GPS connection cable (free), and I plan to buy the
Topofusion software ($40 www.topofusion.com). So far I'm just using
the Demo which is functional, but overlays "DEMO" on the maps and
aerial photos. I use it for exactly what you planned to- plotting the
trail and making a map/picture of the route. The eTrex takes a
reading every second, so there are plenty of points along the way
unless you are going really fast. If you don't get enough points to
give a good map, you can re-ride the trail or walk it to get more
points. The Topofusion software can merge multiple routes into one
and can also create a trail network if you want to connect
intersecting routes in one file.
GPS is a neat gadget- I tell people that the max speed on mine (560
mph) is from the downhill section under the powerlines.

Patrick C. wrote:
> kantspel <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>>I want to make a map of my favorite local trail which is very compact

>>(lots of trail on not a lot of land) so the unit will need to take
>>frequent map points and be reasonably accurate. My budget is under $200
>>and that will need to cover the GPS, software, and hopefully a bar mount.
>>
>>The part I'm most worried about is the ability to take very frequent map
>>points. The first trail that I want to map is extremely dense and so I
>>figure there will need to be map points every few yards. If the unit
>>can't take points that often then I guess I'll have to re ride it over
>>and over to get the density of points needed, basicly a running average.
>>In the latter case it will need to be accurate enough that each ride
>>will line up and not be too far offset from previouse trips.
>>

> I have a basic yellow eTrex ($100) with a handlebar mount ($15),
> homemade serial-GPS connection cable (free), and I plan to buy the
> Topofusion software ($40 www.topofusion.com). So far I'm just using
> the Demo which is functional, but overlays "DEMO" on the maps and
> aerial photos. I use it for exactly what you planned to- plotting the
> trail and making a map/picture of the route. The eTrex takes a
> reading every second, so there are plenty of points along the way
> unless you are going really fast. If you don't get enough points to
> give a good map, you can re-ride the trail or walk it to get more
> points. The Topofusion software can merge multiple routes into one
> and can also create a trail network if you want to connect
> intersecting routes in one file.
> GPS is a neat gadget- I tell people that the max speed on mine (560
> mph) is from the downhill section under the powerlines.

Thanks a bunch. Once per second would be ideal, and the software sounds
like it can do what I need.

kantspel wrote:
> Patrick C. wrote:

>>>(lots of trail on not a lot of land) so the unit will need to take
>>>frequent map points and be reasonably accurate. My budget is under $200
>>>and that will need to cover the GPS, software, and hopefully a bar mount.
>>>
>>>The part I'm most worried about is the ability to take very frequent map
>>>points. The first trail that I want to map is extremely dense and so I
>>>figure there will need to be map points every few yards. If the unit
>>>can't take points that often then I guess I'll have to re ride it over
>>>and over to get the density of points needed, basicly a running average.
>>>In the latter case it will need to be accurate enough that each ride
>>>will line up and not be too far offset from previouse trips.
>>>

>> I have a basic yellow eTrex ($100) with a handlebar mount ($15),
>> homemade serial-GPS connection cable (free), and I plan to buy the
>> Topofusion software ($40 www.topofusion.com). So far I'm just using
>> the Demo which is functional, but overlays "DEMO" on the maps and
>> aerial photos. I use it for exactly what you planned to- plotting the
>> trail and making a map/picture of the route. The eTrex takes a
>> reading every second, so there are plenty of points along the way
>> unless you are going really fast. If you don't get enough points to
>> give a good map, you can re-ride the trail or walk it to get more
>> points. The Topofusion software can merge multiple routes into one
>> and can also create a trail network if you want to connect
>> intersecting routes in one file.
>> GPS is a neat gadget- I tell people that the max speed on mine (560
>> mph) is from the downhill section under the powerlines.

> Thanks a bunch. Once per second would be ideal, and the software sounds
> like it can do what I need.

Once per second will give you too many points for a trail. Some units
have a capacity of 1000 points which will last for only 20 minutes.
If you set the track log to automatic the gps will detect itself if the
trail has many windings and will record more points per minute. But when
you ride a longer straight part the gps will only record a few points.

For a better accuracy put the gps in your back pack or in your back
pocket of your shirt. The gps needs a unobstructed view of the sky
(satellites).

I'm talking from experiences with a Garmin Geko 301. A cheaper Geko will
do it as well.

Greetings, Urs

--
+-------------------------
| Urs Weder
| N 47°23'23" E 9°39'47"
+-------------------------
( modify address for return email )

kantspel wrote:
> I'm in the market for a cheap gps unit that I only need for one
> application, making trail maps. Can anyone help me out with this?
> Googling got me so far, but I'm having a tough time wading through all
> the different brands/models/features.
>
> I want to make a map of my favorite local trail which is very compact
> (lots of trail on not a lot of land) so the unit will need to take
> frequent map points and be reasonably accurate. My budget is under $200
> and that will need to cover the GPS, software, and hopefully a bar mount.
>
> The part I'm most worried about is the ability to take very frequent map
> points. The first trail that I want to map is extremely dense and so I
> figure there will need to be map points every few yards. If the unit
> can't take points that often then I guess I'll have to re ride it over
> and over to get the density of points needed, basicly a running average.
> In the latter case it will need to be accurate enough that each ride
> will line up and not be too far offset from previouse trips.
>
> 1. Any recommendations or anti reccomendations for the GPS unit?
> 2. Is there a particular feature(s) that I should be keeping an eye on?
> 3. Will I need to get additional software to make my life easier or
> will the GPS come bundled with what I need (the end goal is to print a
> map)?

I gonna start messing with this on my ride today
http://www.cru.fr/perso/cc/GPilotS/
runs through Palm OS.
Buy a cheap GPS on ebay.

Shawn

There is a $30 rebate now on the Legend & Vista. It will do a 1,000
waypoints, saves up to 10 tracklogs of up to 750 points each with
10,000 pts available.
It runs $200 typical street price.
We sell factory refurbished units for $159.
Being a "Mapping unit" it comes with computer cable.
Should be mounted close to horizontal for best reception.

For a program to print/display, DeLorme TOPO 5 works great ($100)!
Available on CDs or DVD and also regional editions for $50.
Comes with free $50 download of Satellite/Aerial imgaery downloads.
You can download,modify,upload Routes,Waypoints,Tracks unlike
National Geographic.
My dislike is that it does handle waypoint icons and comments.

The Garmin MapSource products do not allow you to transfer single routes
or tracklogs.

For backup, screen prints etc I love GPStrackmaker www.gpstm.com
it is free and another version is available as shareware.

I personally use a Garmin GPS76 (same price as Legend).
It's saved tracklogs are reduced to 250 points. If possible
download to PC from active tracklog to have up to 3,000 points.
It does not allow you to turn off the tracklog so you have
to clear at start of track and turn off at end. (If you forget
you need to edit the tracklog to remove the extra points.)

You can see some samples on my website at
http://home.earthlink.net/~gps_dr

Enjoy

Urs Weder <UrsWeder__a_t__hotmail__d_o_t__com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> kantspel wrote:
>
> > Thanks a bunch. Once per second would be ideal, and the software sounds
> > like it can do what I need.

> Once per second will give you too many points for a trail. Some units
> have a capacity of 1000 points which will last for only 20 minutes.
> If you set the track log to automatic the gps will detect itself if the
> trail has many windings and will record more points per minute. But when
> you ride a longer straight part the gps will only record a few points.
>
> For a better accuracy put the gps in your back pack or in your back
> pocket of your shirt. The gps needs a unobstructed view of the sky
> (satellites).
>
> I'm talking from experiences with a Garmin Geko 301. A cheaper Geko will
> do it as well.
>
> Greetings, Urs

I haven't had a problem with the track log on my basic eTrex getting
full, even in 6+ hours of use. It only adds a point to the tracklog
if you've moved more than 25 m so it doesn't add a point every second.
Like you say, it sort of knows if you're moving straight or making a
lot of turns which really maximizes the tracklog storage. I like the
handle bar mount because it's always in view when you want it. Just
don't try to look at your speed when you're on a technical section.

kantspel wrote:
> I'm in the market for a cheap gps unit that I only need for one
> application, making trail maps. Can anyone help me out with this?
> Googling got me so far, but I'm having a tough time wading through all
> the different brands/models/features.
>
> I want to make a map of my favorite local trail which is very compact
> (lots of trail on not a lot of land) so the unit will need to take
> frequent map points and be reasonably accurate. My budget is under $200
> and that will need to cover the GPS, software, and hopefully a bar mount.
>
> The part I'm most worried about is the ability to take very frequent map
> points. The first trail that I want to map is extremely dense and so I
> figure there will need to be map points every few yards. If the unit
> can't take points that often then I guess I'll have to re ride it over
> and over to get the density of points needed, basicly a running average.
> In the latter case it will need to be accurate enough that each ride
> will line up and not be too far offset from previouse trips.
>
> 1. Any recommendations or anti reccomendations for the GPS unit?
> 2. Is there a particular feature(s) that I should be keeping an eye on?
> 3. Will I need to get additional software to make my life easier or
> will the GPS come bundled with what I need (the end goal is to print a
> map)?

Thanks for all the advice. Monday night I went to REI with my rebate
and a gift return in hand and blew it all on a Garmin Foretrex 201; only
cost me $5 out of pocket! It was a little bit more ($170 vs $140) than a
seemingly equivelent Geko, but it's tiny, has a rechargable battery, and
comes with the PC cable.

I've been goofing off with it and so far am quite pleased with it's
features. I havn't gotten to ride on the trail yet, but have had it on
for all of my outdoor trips, i even wore it as I mowed the lawn:) My
impression so far is that it will do it's intended job quite well.