Trail Safety

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by U-Turn, Dec 6, 2004.

  1. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    Found this on a hiker thread, of all places.

    Please take heed of the "penalty for failure", and take your risks
    intelligently...

    'Unacceptable outcomes' (http://tinyurl.com/5vg7j)

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton

  2. Tassilo

    Tassilo Guest

  3. mikepenton

    mikepenton Guest

  4. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Tassilo wrote:
    > *Do you know anything about the guy? Is he still alive? If yes, what
    > injures did he have? *

    Phil was nice enough to share that crash over in Just Conversation last
    month. See this thread: 'Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow!'
    (http://tinyurl.com/3wnaa).

    The web page with the video and a description of what happened is here:
    'The Miles Todd Crash Video'
    (http://www.mountainbikebill.com/MilesCrash.htm). The good news is that
    he was OK. A broken pinky, sprains, bruises, a few stitches, but no
    major injury. The web page describes all.

    Be careful around exposure.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  5. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > *Be careful around exposure. *

    Especially if you're on a bike! It's a lot easier for that type of fall
    to happen due to not being able to easily step off. On a unicycle that
    particular crash would have been much less likely.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "It's good to find something that makes boys into men and men into boys,
    my opinion is that unicycling fits the bill." -- Lloyd Johnson

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  6. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    Ah thanks, missed Phil's thread.

    I can't agree that a unicycle would have been "safer" or less risky.
    Anyone who has ridden off-road knows that you come off in many different
    directions with many different velocities and orientations. Heck, just
    watch the blooper section of any uni video. Most of the time you can
    simply step off, but sometimes you take a header or get tangled in the
    uni.

    If you are riding that kind of stuff on a unicycle, take a step back and
    ask yourself is it worth the risk. Think about it before you have peer
    pressure involved. And don't delude yourself that just because you are
    not on a bicycle, that the risk goes away.

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton

  7. uni will

    uni will Guest

  8. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    U-Turn wrote:
    > *I can't agree that a unicycle would have been "safer" or less risky.
    > *

    I don't think we differ much for the most part. Certainly that trail
    contains plenty of danger, even if you're just hiking! Any rider is well
    advised to really think about it before attempting such a section. We
    have a couple of similar trails in my area, which I hope to someday work
    into a MUni Weekend (that's the Stevens Trail and South Yuba Trails:
    http://www.unicycling.com/brett/steven.shtml
    http://www.unicycling.com/brett/southyuba.shtml).

    However, I will maintain that the unicycle is clearly safer in terms of
    the type of dismount that rider did. His bike went off balance to the
    exposre side, and he had nowhere to put his foot. Down he goes! If the
    same thing happened on a unicycle, the rider could just take the other
    foot off the pedal, and drop straight to the ground.

    Where Phil had to stop and put a foot down, a unicyclist would either
    stop and hop, or dismount to the front, putting his feet squarely on the
    ground. He would not be "strung up" by the frame, which is the
    difference here.

    This is why I would ride a unicycle in many places I'd be too chicken to
    ride a bike!

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "It's good to find something that makes boys into men and men into boys,
    my opinion is that unicycling fits the bill." -- Lloyd Johnson

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  9. mgrant

    mgrant Guest

    I took a friend riding on on mtn bikes some years ago and she suffered a
    similar (although not as dramatic) fall.

    All she did wrong was stop and try to put her feet down. Since the
    trail was sloped, her downside foot had nowhere to land and she took a
    tumble. It was only about 20 feet but it was really steep and rocky.

    She was pretty lucky (even though she cracked a rib) that she wasn't
    more seriously injured.

    What really sucked though was that she could not ride and we ended up
    walking out in almost total darkness on a really narrow single-track
    trail. I felt sorta responsible so I kept trying to lighten the mood by
    joking around. Everytime she'd laugh pain would shoot through her ribs
    so then I just tried to be quiet. By the time we reached the hospital
    almost four hours had passed since her fall.

    I think that was the last time she went biking off-road.

    I've never riden that trail on a unicycle but I plan to this summer.
    It's a fairly short trail at about 5 miles. You are rewarded by a hot
    spring and a beautiful waterfall near the end of the trail.

    -mg

    --
    mgrant - Ever hoping for the best!

    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
    breath, and one day closer to death.
    michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
    mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440

  10. Dave Lowell

    Dave Lowell Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > *Where Phil had to stop and put a foot down, a unicyclist would either
    > stop and hop, or dismount to the front, putting his feet squarely on
    > the ground. He would not be "strung up" by the frame, which is the
    > difference here.*

    Phil???

    Did you say Phil? :)

    Surely you had a momentary brain-misfire when you typed that. It wasn't
    our beloved Phil who tumbled off a cliff! Phil merely posted the
    original thread -- from the relative safety of his computer.

    --
    Dave Lowell - _

    Member of the

    (i used to be uni57)

    -"People who quote themselves are lame"- - Dave Lowell
    Dave Lowell's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7706

  11. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    My bad. Please replace any instances of "Phil" with "Mr. Owie dude."

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "It's good to find something that makes boys into men and men into boys,
    my opinion is that unicycling fits the bill." -- Lloyd Johnson

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  12. uni will

    uni will Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > *My bad. Please replace any instances of "Phil" with "Mr. Owie dude."
    > *

    lol his name is miles.
    but i like your description

    --
    uni will - Level 1 unicyclist

    if everybody is different, then whats normal?
    aim:wallaceisshort
    uni will's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8564

  13. I think another important difference is that unicyclists often ride in
    armor. In that fall armor would've saved Miles from many injuries to his
    knees and arms. Also, it would've given him more options for the initial
    fall. I wear armor so that I am limited in where I can fall or what body
    parts I can use. I don't think that that man would've fallen off that
    clif if he had been on a unicycle. Maybe his unicycle, but not him.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by
    understanding."-Albert Einstein

  14. phil

    phil Guest

    Dave Lowell wrote:
    > *Did you say Phil? :)*

    <falls out of chair; falls off cliff>

    ::Aaaa::aaaaarrghh!!!

    Phil

    --
    phil - ex-studenty type

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915