Trail Tech HID Light?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Gurrie, Jan 22, 2005.

  1. Gurrie

    Gurrie Guest

    Tags:

  2. AJS

    AJS Guest

  3. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    AJS wrote:

    > I had a quick look and couldn't see any details specs. I would
    > want to know who makes the HID "bulb" before buying them.

    It's a Welch Allyn 10W, with the Welch Allyn ballast (I can't remember
    which one). TTBOMK, no one other than Welch Allyn make low power HID
    lamps, and I now every 10W (often specced as 13, to include ballast
    draw) bike HID light uses a WA lamp.

    Dave - who has a trail tech HID, but hasn't had a chance to use it
    offroad yet.

  4. AJS

    AJS Guest

    "Random Data" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Dave - who has a trail tech HID, but hasn't had a chance to use it
    > offroad yet.

    So what's it like? Nice? Got photos? Even beam? Sharp focus?

    AJS

  5. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    AJS wrote:

    > So what's it like? Nice? Got photos? Even beam? Sharp focus?

    Like I said, I haven't really had a chance to ride it yet (stupid early
    shifts and damn daylight savings. Though riding during the day is
    nice...).

    I got the broader beam (12 degree?) and can light from one end of the
    house to the other (say 12m). It's disturbingly bright. When I get
    around to it, I'll update the beam photos at
    http://hired-goons.net/lights/beams.php.
    Dave - who needs to finish the 3W replacement for the blown 1W Luxeon.

  6. Gurrie

    Gurrie Guest

    Looking forward to seeing the updated beam pics.....

    What is the mounting system like? Can it be handle bar mounted? It looks
    like it might be just a 'velcro' job when fastening to a helmet?

    Where did you get yours from?

    Thanks in advance,

    Craig

    "Random Data" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > AJS wrote:
    >
    >> So what's it like? Nice? Got photos? Even beam? Sharp focus?

    > Like I said, I haven't really had a chance to ride it yet (stupid early
    > shifts and damn daylight savings. Though riding during the day is
    > nice...).
    >
    > I got the broader beam (12 degree?) and can light from one end of the
    > house to the other (say 12m). It's disturbingly bright. When I get
    > around to it, I'll update the beam photos at
    > http://hired-goons.net/lights/beams.php.
    > Dave - who needs to finish the 3W replacement for the blown 1W Luxeon.

  7. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    Gurrie wrote:

    > Looking forward to seeing the updated beam pics.....

    I'm not sure when I'll get a chance, but I'll post it here when I do.
    I've worked out I do have a digital camera that I can lock
    aperture/shutter/white balance better than "turn fixed light on, half
    press shutter, turn fixed light off, turn test light on, take shot". I
    also want to take offroad shots so you can see what they're like in the
    real world, where you don't tend to have Lords of the Sith jumping out
    at you.

    Anyway, I actually got out for a spin on Saturday night, and was rather
    impressed. You don't seem to be able to see that much further down the
    track than a decent 20W light, but what you do see is so much clearer
    (I suspect the light is going further, but the close in reflection
    means your pupil is more constricted than with the 20W, so no extra
    distance). I normally run a 10W bar light with around a 5W helmet
    light, because a more powerful helmet light would wash out the shadows
    that let you see the bump. I had the HID on my helmet with no bar light
    and it's bright enough you don't need shadows, because you can actually
    see well enough to determine distance as you do in the day (ie, depth
    perception is better). Oh, and even when it's aimed down at the road
    oncoming cars don't like it much. Mwuahahahahaha!

    > What is the mounting system like? Can it be handle bar
    > mounted? It looks like it might be just a 'velcro' job when
    > fastening to a helmet?

    It mounts using fiendishly strong velcro on an adhesive pad. You get a
    couple of the pads, so it'd be easy enough to have one on a helmet and
    bodge up a zip ties and plastic handlebar mount (hose clamp might work
    better than zip ties).

    > Where did you get yours from?

    Direct from Trailtech. They're not bad to deal with, but only do UPS
    for shipping, so the cost is a bit high (especially if you order 2, and
    get stung for customs). http://www.batteryspace.com will ship USPS, so
    you'll save around $30.

    Dave - who is still using the 10W for commuting, since I'm not sure
    blinding oncoming traffic is a particularly smart thing to do (and a
    $20 home made jobbie is a lot less painful to have nicked).

  8. geoffs

    geoffs New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2003
    So the big question is, where do Cateye get their 21w HID globe from
    or tis that 21w including discharge?
    A great local supplier for batteries is www.masterinstuments.com.au They have a massive range of lithium-ion batteries and will assemble battery packs if required. I am fairly sure that they will deal with the public. I had a look at
    batteryspace.com and they had the one thing that is beyond my skills to make and I was going to ask a friend to make it for me and that is the overcharge/discharge protection.

    I deliberately aim my cateye stadium at mirror level just to make damn sure that the morons take notice and see us on the tandem. We have had zero problems (where's that bit of wood) of cars pulling out infront of us from side streets since we've been using it.
    YXMV

    geoff

  9. Gurrie

    Gurrie Guest

    Dave,

    Couple more questions:

    * How much was the Customs Duties etc??

    * Did you get the battery from them as well? If not, what are you using to
    power it?

    Thanks,

    Craig

    "Random Data" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Gurrie wrote:
    >
    >> Looking forward to seeing the updated beam pics.....

    > I'm not sure when I'll get a chance, but I'll post it here when I do.
    > I've worked out I do have a digital camera that I can lock
    > aperture/shutter/white balance better than "turn fixed light on, half
    > press shutter, turn fixed light off, turn test light on, take shot". I
    > also want to take offroad shots so you can see what they're like in the
    > real world, where you don't tend to have Lords of the Sith jumping out
    > at you.
    >
    > Anyway, I actually got out for a spin on Saturday night, and was rather
    > impressed. You don't seem to be able to see that much further down the
    > track than a decent 20W light, but what you do see is so much clearer
    > (I suspect the light is going further, but the close in reflection
    > means your pupil is more constricted than with the 20W, so no extra
    > distance). I normally run a 10W bar light with around a 5W helmet
    > light, because a more powerful helmet light would wash out the shadows
    > that let you see the bump. I had the HID on my helmet with no bar light
    > and it's bright enough you don't need shadows, because you can actually
    > see well enough to determine distance as you do in the day (ie, depth
    > perception is better). Oh, and even when it's aimed down at the road
    > oncoming cars don't like it much. Mwuahahahahaha!
    >
    >> What is the mounting system like? Can it be handle bar
    >> mounted? It looks like it might be just a 'velcro' job when
    >> fastening to a helmet?

    > It mounts using fiendishly strong velcro on an adhesive pad. You get a
    > couple of the pads, so it'd be easy enough to have one on a helmet and
    > bodge up a zip ties and plastic handlebar mount (hose clamp might work
    > better than zip ties).
    >
    >> Where did you get yours from?

    > Direct from Trailtech. They're not bad to deal with, but only do UPS
    > for shipping, so the cost is a bit high (especially if you order 2, and
    > get stung for customs). http://www.batteryspace.com will ship USPS, so
    > you'll save around $30.
    >
    > Dave - who is still using the 10W for commuting, since I'm not sure
    > blinding oncoming traffic is a particularly smart thing to do (and a
    > $20 home made jobbie is a lot less painful to have nicked).

  10. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    Gurrie wrote:

    > * How much was the Customs Duties etc??

    If it's over A$400, you get slugged with 10% + a broker's fee. It came
    out to roughly $100 for a pair of HID helmet lights + controllers.

    > * Did you get the battery from them as well? If not, what are you

    using to
    > power it?

    I'm running mine from a 10 cell NiMH pack I already had. I'm looking at
    the battery space Li-Ion pack, but keep spending toy money on other
    bike bits (like a new front rim due to excessive sidewaysness).

    Dave