Trailer Bikes / Tag-a-long Bikes

Neil And Chris

Guest
We are wanting to get a trailer bike (sometimes known as tag-a-long bike) for our 5 year old to use.
We've done a pretty thorough search of the Internet (including newsgroup archives etc), and come up
with the following possibilities. We are interested in hearing any comments on these, especially
from people who have bought one. It seems like having gears is the way to go so that the child can
pedal at varying speeds.

1. Pacific 6 Speed (
http://www.mbcbikes.com.au/enter.html?target=ACCESSORIESChild_CarriersTag_a_Longs.html )
. These seem to be widely available but we haven't seen any reviews or comments on them.

2. Norco / Adams 5 Speed ( http://www.norco.com/adams/tab.htm ). There seem to be mixed opinions
about this one, with some people strongly recommending them and others who complained of problems
with the hitch (e.g. the hitch gradually becomming more sloppy over time). They are available in
Australia.

3. Burley Piccolo 6 Speed (
http://www.burley.com/products/childrens-products/default.aspx?p=Piccolo&i=0 ). This sounds like
the pick of the bunch from what we have read from various sources. The main argument in its
favour seems to be that it attaches over the axle of the towing bike which makes it follow the
towing bike more closely. They also seem like they may be heaps more expensive (we have seen them
for US$350, which would be approaching double the price of the others). We have not seen any
indication that they are available in Australia.

It also appears that it is not possible to have a trailer bike and a baby seat on a bike at the same
time. Does anyone know of any way you can have both?

Also, is there such a thing as a tandem trailer bike (i.e. two kids on the trailer bike), and if so
who makes them?

Thanks, Neil and Chris

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:17:50 +1000, Neil and Chris wrote:

> It also appears that it is not possible to have a trailer bike and a baby seat on a bike at the
> same time. Does anyone know of any way you can have both?

I'm sure I've seen a photo of one that connects to the rear of the rear rack. It would depend on how
your hitch too though.

> Also, is there such a thing as a tandem trailer bike (i.e. two kids on the trailer bike), and if
> so who makes them?

Absolutely,

IIRC 'Adams' make one - actually a guy was selling one on ebay a few weeks ago, tandem trailer bike
+ bike for ~$700, seemed a bit pricey to me, but then what do I know.

I have read an unflattering review of the adams trailer bikes though... *shrug*.

In the current issue of Velovision there is a photo of a tandem trailer-bike with a two-wheel
rear-end (like a kids trailer). Importing one from Britain/Europe could be expensive though.

cheers, -kt