Trailer recommendations wanted

Roger Burton West

Guest
I'm thinking about getting a trailer for hauling computers round town
(one or two at a time). The Burley Flatbed looks good so far.

However, my current bike has Shimano Nexus hub gears and brakes (it's a
Carrera Subway 8). As I understand it, not all trailers are compatible
with this sort of back wheel arrangement.

So I have two questions:

(1) What's a good trailer for shifting large rigid loads around the
place?

(2) Will it work with this fairly busy back wheel?

Roger

Roger Burton West wrote:
> I'm thinking about getting a trailer for hauling computers round town
> (one or two at a time). The Burley Flatbed looks good so far.
>
> However, my current bike has Shimano Nexus hub gears and brakes (it's a
> Carrera Subway 8). As I understand it, not all trailers are compatible
> with this sort of back wheel arrangement.
>
> So I have two questions:
>
> (1) What's a good trailer for shifting large rigid loads around the
> place?
>
> (2) Will it work with this fairly busy back wheel?

Don't see why not. Burley do hitches for QR axles and also for nutted
axles, what goes on inside of the frame dropouts isn't really an issue
for the trailer AFAICT.

What I would do, if at all possible, is try out a few before parting
with pennies. That way you can see how everything will fit your
particular requirements, and in particular if it fits your bike okay.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Roger Burton West <[email protected]> writes:

> I'm thinking about getting a trailer for hauling computers round town
> (one or two at a time). The Burley Flatbed looks good so far.
>
> However, my current bike has Shimano Nexus hub gears and brakes (it's a
> Carrera Subway 8). As I understand it, not all trailers are compatible
> with this sort of back wheel arrangement.
>
> So I have two questions:
>
> (1) What's a good trailer for shifting large rigid loads around the
> place?
>
> (2) Will it work with this fairly busy back wheel?

I don't know about that specific trailer, but look carefully at the
way it joins onto the bike, some mechanisms are much more adjstable
than others.

The other thing I'd say is get one with proper wheels - not those
cheap molded plastic things that seem to be quite popular for trailer
wheels.

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 15:58:42 +0000 (UTC), Roger Burton West
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm thinking about getting a trailer for hauling computers round town
>(one or two at a time). The Burley Flatbed looks good so far.
>
>However, my current bike has Shimano Nexus hub gears and brakes (it's a
>Carrera Subway 8). As I understand it, not all trailers are compatible
>with this sort of back wheel arrangement.
>
>So I have two questions:
>
>(1) What's a good trailer for shifting large rigid loads around the
>place?

BoB do a suspendsion version of the Yak. <googles> Ibex.

>(2) Will it work with this fairly busy back wheel?

How busy? My Yak works with hub gears. (Special BoBNutz are needed)

Tim

In article <[email protected]>, Roger
Burton West <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm thinking about getting a trailer for hauling computers round
> town (one or two at a time). The Burley Flatbed looks good so far.

> However, my current bike has Shimano Nexus hub gears and brakes
> (it's a Carrera Subway 8). As I understand it, not all trailers are
> compatible with this sort of back wheel arrangement.

> So I have two questions:

> (1) What's a good trailer for shifting large rigid loads around the
> place?

Although designed for kids and not cargo the Burley Cub has a very
good suspension system which would be kinder on the contents.

> (2) Will it work with this fairly busy back wheel?

I have had a few Burleys on a few bikes and have never had a problem.

--
T h e - e x t e n d e r ! ! ! !

Tim Hall wrote:

>BoB do a suspendsion version of the Yak. <googles> Ibex.

Thanks, but these are _heavy_ loads, and I fear that single-wheel isn't
likely to get the job done.

Peter Clinch wrote:

>What I would do, if at all possible, is try out a few before parting
>with pennies. That way you can see how everything will fit your
>particular requirements, and in particular if it fits your bike okay.

This certainly makes a lot of sense.

I'm in London, and I don't know anyone near me who has a bike trailer...

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Roger Burton West <> wrote:

> I'm thinking about getting a trailer for hauling computers round
> town (one or two at a time). The Burley Flatbed looks good so far.
>
> (2) Will it work with this fairly busy back wheel?

My cheap lidl trailer, which clamps to seat-stay and chain-stay does
not work on a Subway 8. I think there's a good chance you'll need to
avoid this type connection and go for one that connects to axle
extensions. Certainly, check the specific connection before parting
with cash (or get a cast-iron exchange guarantee if it turns out not
to fit).

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>> I'm thinking about getting a trailer for hauling computers round
>> town (one or two at a time). The Burley Flatbed looks good so far.
>>
>> (2) Will it work with this fairly busy back wheel?

> My cheap lidl trailer, which clamps to seat-stay and chain-stay does
> not work on a Subway 8. I think there's a good chance you'll need to
> avoid this type connection and go for one that connects to axle
> extensions. Certainly, check the specific connection before parting
> with cash (or get a cast-iron exchange guarantee if it turns out not
> to fit).

For info, Burley do two types of hitch: one that clamps to the angle
between chainstay and seatstay, and one that replaces the skewer. If that
won't work, it's often feasible to retrofit an alternative hitch -
Burley, Chariot, Weber, Montare, Carry Freedom all provide their hitches
as aftermarket items or spares. If that doesn't appeal, there are lots of
flatbed/cargo trailers available.

Personally, I'd be worried about transporting computers on an unsprung
trailer and would want to build in some way of absorbing "pothole shock"
etc. (even that's only some expanded polystyrene).

If money isn't too much of an object, Carry Freedom can custom build to
your requirements - and their trailers have generally higher load ratings
than Burley's.

Some URLs that might help:
http://www.burleygear.com/
http://www.bikesandtrailers.com/bike-trailers/index.html
http://www.carryfreedom.com/
http://www.spoke.co.uk/cycle_trailers.htm
http://www.weber-products.de/

HTH

in message <[email protected]>, Tim Hall
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 15:58:42 +0000 (UTC), Roger Burton West
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I'm thinking about getting a trailer for hauling computers round town
>>(one or two at a time). The Burley Flatbed looks good so far.
>>
>>However, my current bike has Shimano Nexus hub gears and brakes (it's a
>>Carrera Subway 8). As I understand it, not all trailers are compatible
>>with this sort of back wheel arrangement.
>>
>>So I have two questions:
>>
>>(1) What's a good trailer for shifting large rigid loads around the
>>place?

> BoB do a suspendsion version of the Yak. <googles> Ibex.

The Weber Monoporter also has suspension, and seems the best engineered of
the one-wheel trailers currently available. The problem with one-wheelers,
however, is stability when loading/unloading, and I think for this
application (delivering computers over short distances in urban traffic) a
two wheel trailer would probably be better.

... a mild, inoffensive sadist...

Will Cove wrote:

>Personally, I'd be worried about transporting computers on an unsprung
>trailer and would want to build in some way of absorbing "pothole shock"
>etc. (even that's only some expanded polystyrene).

Good point, and I suspect that putting a couple of foam mats into the
load bed will be better than spending lots more on getting a built-in
suspension system. (If they even exist...)

>If money isn't too much of an object, Carry Freedom can custom build to
>your requirements - and their trailers have generally higher load ratings
>than Burley's.

Money is always an object, but a large CF Y-frame is certainly a
plausible alternative to the Burley Flatbed for the sorts of load I need
to shift.

>Some URLs that might help:

Thanks!

Definitely sounds as though I need to find someone in London who's got
some trailers I can try... any pointers/volunteers?

Roger

Den 2007-03-13 20:25:12 skrev Will Cove <[email protected]>:

> Personally, I'd be worried about transporting computers on an unsprung
> trailer and would want to build in some way of absorbing "pothole shock"
> etc. (even that's only some expanded polystyrene).
>
> If money isn't too much of an object, Carry Freedom can custom build to
> your requirements - and their trailers have generally higher load ratings
> than Burley's.

CarryFreedom did a y-frame with two loadbeds and an inner tube between
them, for simple suspension.

Another idea might be to put the computer in a box with some pillows
around it, and strap the box down on the load bed. CF recommends drilling
four holes in the box and corresponding holes in the load bed. Put feet on
the box, and it sits firmly in place through the holes on the trailer.
Then a side-to-side strap over the box, and it will stay firmly put
without tipping. Might be obvious, but I thought it clever.

Erik Sandblom

--
Oil is for sissies

Roger Burton West wrote:

> I'm in London, and I don't know anyone near me who has a bike trailer...

Bikefix, in Lamb's Conduit Street, have several on their website, call
to see if they've got physical examples you can try (they'll let you try
an 8 Freight cargo bike, so not too far fetched).

http://www.bikefix.co.uk

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On 13 Mar, 15:58, Roger Burton West <roger
[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm thinking about getting a trailer for hauling computers round town

This sounds charmingly retro. Do you work for a museum, or could you
consider sticking a couple of laptops in your panniers instead?

POHB wrote:
>On 13 Mar, 15:58, Roger Burton West <roger
>[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm thinking about getting a trailer for hauling computers round town

>This sounds charmingly retro. Do you work for a museum, or could you
>consider sticking a couple of laptops in your panniers instead?

Thank you for knowing my life better than I do. If laptops would do the
job that's needed, and I could afford them, and my customers could
afford them, I'm sure this would be a splendid solution.

Roger

Quoting Roger Burton West <[email protected]>:
>I'm in London, and I don't know anyone near me who has a bike trailer...

I'd show you mine, but it's a strange Frankenstein creation from a new
trailer and an old hitch I liked.
--
OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corridor,standout,time,showexp,hilit
e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruit:eek:konomiyaki,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores:

In message <[email protected]>
Roger Burton West <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm thinking about getting a trailer for hauling computers round town
> (one or two at a time). The Burley Flatbed looks good so far.
>

> So I have two questions:
>
> (1) What's a good trailer for shifting large rigid loads around the
> place?
>
> (2) Will it work with this fairly busy back wheel?
>
> Roger

Got a Vitelli trailer from BIkefix many years ago and have carried
televisions, paving slabs, garden compost and cats. A very reilable piece
of kit.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames

Paul Luton wrote:

> In message <[email protected]>
> Roger Burton West <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking about getting a trailer for hauling computers round town
> > (one or two at a time).

> Got a Vitelli trailer from BIkefix many years ago and have carried
> televisions, paving slabs, garden compost and cats. A very reilable piece
> of kit.

They are excellent trailers.
Here's my Vitelli behind the Trice - and its on computer delivery duty too.

http://www.velotree.co.uk/deliveryduty.html

John B