Trailer that can hold a car seat?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Adam Lipscombe, Jun 6, 2003.

  1. Folks,

    I looking to buy a trailer tol carry my 3 month old son in his car seat. I have never had a trailer
    before so would appreciate some suggestions on a good make.

    Also, we are hoping to do some totally off-road routes - nothing hairy, just cycle-paths and
    bridleways etc. The thought of taking him on a road is too scary :-(

    Can anyone recommend any routes in the south-west - we are in Cornwal ?

    TIA - Adam

    Tags:

  2. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Adam Lipscombe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Folks,
    >

    > I looking to buy a trailer tol carry my 3 month old son in his car seat. I have never had a
    > trailer before so would appreciate some suggestions on
    > good make.
    >
    > Also, we are hoping to do some totally off-road routes - nothing hairy,
    just
    > cycle-paths and bridleways etc. The thought of taking him on a road is too scary :-(
    >
    > Can anyone recommend any routes in the south-west - we are in Cornwal ?

    There is a company called the UK Trailer Company in Cornwall who may be worth speaking to.

    I've seen car seats attached in burley trailers. Normally requires some bodging (there was a recent
    message on this in urc wasn't there?) but once attached is safe.

    cheers, clive

  3. John B

    John B Guest

    Adam Lipscombe wrote:

    > Folks,
    >
    > I looking to buy a trailer tol carry my 3 month old son in his car seat. I have never had a
    > trailer before so would appreciate some suggestions on a good make.
    >
    > Also, we are hoping to do some totally off-road routes - nothing hairy, just cycle-paths and
    > bridleways etc. The thought of taking him on a road is too scary :-(
    >
    > Can anyone recommend any routes in the south-west - we are in Cornwal ?
    >
    > TIA - Adam

    We used a Burley d'lite for several years, including much continental ccle camping, using a
    lightweight car-seat strapped in to the alloy frame of the trailer. It worked well and with q/r
    straps could easily be removed.

    You could try Bridge Bike Hire on the Camel Trail at Wadebridge - I think they may have been the
    original uk dealers and they certainly use Burleys, and supply them Why not hire one and see
    what you think

    http://www.cornwall-online.co.uk/bridgebikehire/Welcome.html

    Unfortunately the web address I have for them doesn't work, but use Google for 'Burley cycle
    trailers'and you will find many stockists/dealers.

    I would think most child trailers should be able to take a car seat, but the Burley, whilst a bit
    pricey are about the best I've seen.

    Enjoy, its the best way to take littl'uns until tandem time.

    John B

  4. Many thanks - I'll hire one and go from there.

    Cheers - Adam

    "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Adam Lipscombe wrote:
    >
    > > Folks,
    > >
    > > I looking to buy a trailer tol carry my 3 month old son in his car seat. I have never had a
    > > trailer before so would appreciate some suggestions
    on a
    > > good make.
    > >
    > > Also, we are hoping to do some totally off-road routes - nothing hairy,
    just
    > > cycle-paths and bridleways etc. The thought of taking him on a road is
    too
    > > scary :-(
    > >
    > > Can anyone recommend any routes in the south-west - we are in Cornwal ?
    > >
    > > TIA - Adam
    >
    > We used a Burley d'lite for several years, including much continental ccle camping, using a
    > lightweight car-seat strapped in to the alloy frame of
    the
    > trailer. It worked well and with q/r straps could easily be removed.
    >
    > You could try Bridge Bike Hire on the Camel Trail at Wadebridge - I think
    they
    > may have been the original uk dealers and they certainly use Burleys, and supply them Why not hire
    > one and see what you think
    >
    > http://www.cornwall-online.co.uk/bridgebikehire/Welcome.html
    >
    > Unfortunately the web address I have for them doesn't work, but use Google
    for
    > 'Burley cycle trailers'and you will find many stockists/dealers.
    >
    > I would think most child trailers should be able to take a car seat, but
    the
    > Burley, whilst a bit pricey are about the best I've seen.
    >
    > Enjoy, its the best way to take littl'uns until tandem time.
    >
    > John B

  5. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Adam Lipscombe <[email protected]> writes
    >Folks,
    >

    >I looking to buy a trailer tol carry my 3 month old son in his car seat. I have never had a trailer
    >before so would appreciate some suggestions on a good make.

    There have been a couple of small additions to the urc, so there was a fair bit of discussion about
    trailers in general and fitting car seats as well. Myra certainly has been carrying a car seat in
    her trailer for awhile, and Becka was asking about it recently - so I guess she is sorted by now.
    With a bit of luck they might be along to tell you how they've got on.

    Either using the straps they trailer already has, and/or some extra webbing straps plus maybe a bit
    of foam/rubber padding it should be possible to fit the seat into most of the trailers.

    There are plenty of good makes I have a Chariot Chauffuer bought from Two plus Two in Lewes which
    I'm very pleased with. They also have some other makes. a quick web search will turn up others

    A Google Grousp search on urc for 'trailer' etc. will turn up the recent discussions (plus others)
    with lots of useful comments.

    >Also, we are hoping to do some totally off-road routes - nothing hairy, just cycle-paths and
    >bridleways etc. The thought of taking him on a road is too scary :-(

    Don't be scared by this it's a real shame to miss out. - though I'm sure we all share the same
    feelings to an extent. IME, and others, car drivers give you lots more space and lots more
    consideration when pulling a trailer.

    Elino risn't too impressed with too bumpy tracks at the moment (2y3mo) - I get the shout from behind
    of 'Big roughlies Daddy' !!

    Anyway, it's a sunny day - time for a ride
    --
    Chris French, Leeds