Trailer that can hold a car seat?

Adam Lipscombe

Guest
Folks,

I looking to buy a trailer tol carry my 3 month old son in his car seat. I have never had a trailer
before so would appreciate some suggestions on a good make.

Also, we are hoping to do some totally off-road routes - nothing hairy, just cycle-paths and
bridleways etc. The thought of taking him on a road is too scary :-(

Can anyone recommend any routes in the south-west - we are in Cornwal ?

TIA - Adam

"Adam Lipscombe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Folks,
>

> I looking to buy a trailer tol carry my 3 month old son in his car seat. I have never had a
> trailer before so would appreciate some suggestions on
> good make.
>
> Also, we are hoping to do some totally off-road routes - nothing hairy,
just
> cycle-paths and bridleways etc. The thought of taking him on a road is too scary :-(
>
> Can anyone recommend any routes in the south-west - we are in Cornwal ?

There is a company called the UK Trailer Company in Cornwall who may be worth speaking to.

I've seen car seats attached in burley trailers. Normally requires some bodging (there was a recent
message on this in urc wasn't there?) but once attached is safe.

cheers, clive

Adam Lipscombe wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I looking to buy a trailer tol carry my 3 month old son in his car seat. I have never had a
> trailer before so would appreciate some suggestions on a good make.
>
> Also, we are hoping to do some totally off-road routes - nothing hairy, just cycle-paths and
> bridleways etc. The thought of taking him on a road is too scary :-(
>
> Can anyone recommend any routes in the south-west - we are in Cornwal ?
>
> TIA - Adam

We used a Burley d'lite for several years, including much continental ccle camping, using a
lightweight car-seat strapped in to the alloy frame of the trailer. It worked well and with q/r
straps could easily be removed.

You could try Bridge Bike Hire on the Camel Trail at Wadebridge - I think they may have been the
original uk dealers and they certainly use Burleys, and supply them Why not hire one and see
what you think

http://www.cornwall-online.co.uk/bridgebikehire/Welcome.html

Unfortunately the web address I have for them doesn't work, but use Google for 'Burley cycle
trailers'and you will find many stockists/dealers.

I would think most child trailers should be able to take a car seat, but the Burley, whilst a bit
pricey are about the best I've seen.

Enjoy, its the best way to take littl'uns until tandem time.

John B

Many thanks - I'll hire one and go from there.

Cheers - Adam

"John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Adam Lipscombe wrote:
>
> > Folks,
> >
> > I looking to buy a trailer tol carry my 3 month old son in his car seat. I have never had a
> > trailer before so would appreciate some suggestions
on a
> > good make.
> >
> > Also, we are hoping to do some totally off-road routes - nothing hairy,
just
> > cycle-paths and bridleways etc. The thought of taking him on a road is
too
> > scary :-(
> >
> > Can anyone recommend any routes in the south-west - we are in Cornwal ?
> >
> > TIA - Adam
>
> We used a Burley d'lite for several years, including much continental ccle camping, using a
> lightweight car-seat strapped in to the alloy frame of
the
> trailer. It worked well and with q/r straps could easily be removed.
>
> You could try Bridge Bike Hire on the Camel Trail at Wadebridge - I think
they
> may have been the original uk dealers and they certainly use Burleys, and supply them Why not hire
> one and see what you think
>
> http://www.cornwall-online.co.uk/bridgebikehire/Welcome.html
>
> Unfortunately the web address I have for them doesn't work, but use Google
for
> 'Burley cycle trailers'and you will find many stockists/dealers.
>
> I would think most child trailers should be able to take a car seat, but
the
> Burley, whilst a bit pricey are about the best I've seen.
>
> Enjoy, its the best way to take littl'uns until tandem time.
>
> John B

In message <[email protected]>, Adam Lipscombe <[email protected]> writes
>Folks,
>

>I looking to buy a trailer tol carry my 3 month old son in his car seat. I have never had a trailer
>before so would appreciate some suggestions on a good make.

There have been a couple of small additions to the urc, so there was a fair bit of discussion about
trailers in general and fitting car seats as well. Myra certainly has been carrying a car seat in
her trailer for awhile, and Becka was asking about it recently - so I guess she is sorted by now.
With a bit of luck they might be along to tell you how they've got on.

Either using the straps they trailer already has, and/or some extra webbing straps plus maybe a bit
of foam/rubber padding it should be possible to fit the seat into most of the trailers.

There are plenty of good makes I have a Chariot Chauffuer bought from Two plus Two in Lewes which
I'm very pleased with. They also have some other makes. a quick web search will turn up others

A Google Grousp search on urc for 'trailer' etc. will turn up the recent discussions (plus others)
with lots of useful comments.

>Also, we are hoping to do some totally off-road routes - nothing hairy, just cycle-paths and
>bridleways etc. The thought of taking him on a road is too scary :-(

Don't be scared by this it's a real shame to miss out. - though I'm sure we all share the same
feelings to an extent. IME, and others, car drivers give you lots more space and lots more
consideration when pulling a trailer.

Elino risn't too impressed with too bumpy tracks at the moment (2y3mo) - I get the shout from behind
of 'Big roughlies Daddy' !!

Anyway, it's a sunny day - time for a ride
--
Chris French, Leeds