Trailers on the Isle of Wight

David Martin

Guest
A colleague of my father's is looking for info on bike trailers. She
has two children, the oldest is about 3 and the youngest a few months
old. They are planning to go to the Isle of Wight in May and
considering taking bikes or hiring them there.

They are looking for advice on trailers and will need on ecapableof
taking both children, probably with the younger in a baby seat.

So, two questions.

Can anyone reccommend a suitable shop in the Woking area (basically
anywhere between London and the south coast would do) that has such
items for sale/hire?

Likewise for cycle hire on/near the IoW.

many thanks in advance.

...d

David Martin wrote:
> A colleague of my father's is looking for info on bike trailers. She
> has two children, the oldest is about 3 and the youngest a few months
> old. They are planning to go to the Isle of Wight in May and
> considering taking bikes or hiring them there.
>
> They are looking for advice on trailers and will need on ecapableof
> taking both children, probably with the younger in a baby seat.
>
> So, two questions.
>
> Can anyone reccommend a suitable shop in the Woking area (basically
> anywhere between London and the south coast would do) that has such
> items for sale/hire?
>
> Likewise for cycle hire on/near the IoW.
>
> many thanks in advance.
>
> ..d

Try Jeff Smith at The Bike Shed, Merstone tel 01983 867687 AFAIK he
doesn't hire, however he is very knowledgeable and I'm sure can point you in
the right direction

Jan

David Martin wrote:
> A colleague of my father's is looking for info on bike trailers. She
> has two children, the oldest is about 3 and the youngest a few months
> old. They are planning to go to the Isle of Wight in May and
> considering taking bikes or hiring them there.
>
> They are looking for advice on trailers and will need on ecapableof
> taking both children, probably with the younger in a baby seat.
>
> So, two questions.
>
> Can anyone reccommend a suitable shop in the Woking area (basically
> anywhere between London and the south coast would do) that has such
> items for sale/hire?
>
> Likewise for cycle hire on/near the IoW.
>
> many thanks in advance.

Woking? Evans is two minutes away from the train station. Their
online store suggests that they sell a good range of trailers, but
can't vouch for what they'll have in store.

http://www.evanscycles.com/stores.jsp

Cheers,
Martin

David Martin wrote:

> A colleague of my father's is looking for info on bike trailers. She
> has two children, the oldest is about 3 and the youngest a few months
> old. They are planning to go to the Isle of Wight in May and
> considering taking bikes or hiring them there.
>
> They are looking for advice on trailers and will need on ecapableof
> taking both children, probably with the younger in a baby seat.
>
> So, two questions.
>
> Can anyone reccommend a suitable shop in the Woking area (basically
> anywhere between London and the south coast would do) that has such
> items for sale/hire?
>
> Likewise for cycle hire on/near the IoW.

There are two companies in Brockenhurst that hire trailers. It is then
only a short ride down to Lymington for the ferry over to Yarmouth bikes
free on ferry).
They could also use the short train trip on the SW trains 'Heritage
line' - which IAIUI now has increased cycle space.
IMO this is the best ferry route over to the Island as it lands you in
the best and quietest parts. Yarmouth is on the Round the Island route
and there is a good cycle way down to Freshwater Bay.
When ours were younger we regularly took our Burley trailer (and the
tandems) over to the Island for cycle camping trips.
Try:
http://www.cyclex.co.uk/index.php/hire.html
http://www.countrylanes.co.uk

John B

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 12:31:44 GMT someone who may be John B
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>There are two companies in Brockenhurst that hire trailers. It is then
>only a short ride down to Lymington for the ferry over to Yarmouth bikes
>free on ferry).
>They could also use the short train trip on the SW trains 'Heritage
>line' - which IAIUI now has increased cycle space.

The "heritage" trains should all have a proper guards van, taking up
something like 1/3 if the length of one coach. Ideal for putting
bikes and trailers in.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh