Trailers

Sam Ford

Guest
Does anyone here use a shopping trailer? Any comments about them?

The trailer I use for shopping (Bike Burro) is, I believe, no longer in business. It has been
usurped by the more popular B.O.B. single wheel design, and the baby trailers, like Burley.

It connected to the seat stay, like most two wheel trailers, but it had a sling that you was
designed to hold a camping cooler. I made a larger box out of thin (3/16") plywood for shopping. In
it I could carry a month's worth of groceries, or even two 50 pound bags of feed for the chickens
(it has a 100 pound max. safe capacity)

I pull it behind the bike to the market, unhitch it and it becomes my shopping cart. Hitch it back
up to the bike when I'm done shopping and ride home.

Because my groceries go from the shelves to the trailer to the cashier and back into the trailer, I
don't need bags, paper or plastic. So it's "greener' too.

Sam Ford wrote:

> Does anyone here use a shopping trailer? Any comments about them?

I use them to transport my Doberman, and about 150# of water softener salt sometimes; mostly for
shopping I use a milk crate atop a luggage rack, which holds two paper shopping bags almost exactly.
Double bag if you want to build for height. The crate is there permanently.

You need to reenforce and extend the rack rearwards, if you're serious about carrying real weight.

My favorite setup is a Bell seatpost rack for the core: remove the plastic (one allen bolt, get a
longer (5mm) one and screw a piece of wood atop the metal core of the rack to run the length of the
milk crate for side-to-side stability and weight support. Run two sturdy enough wooden supports from
the rear dropouts to the bottom of this wood, to carry the real weight. The Bell rack stabilizes the
thing from side to side but can't carry much weight itself. The result is surprisingly sturdy, much
better than metal frame racks.

Trailers: the Burley without the seat can carry a good deal of stuff; I like the Tanjor Cargo
http://www.lodrag.com which has noticeably less wind resistance and is better shaped for a dog, but
possibly would not be as suitable for square boxes as the Burley.

Both the Burley and the Tanjor leave you having to navigate for three wheel tracks around potholes,
and take too much space on highway shoulders if it's the narrow-lane variety of highway, using up
the space that trucks normally give you in opposing traffic.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

Looking to get a custom wheelset, liking to support the LBS

If you highly recommend an LA area wheel builder, please send info

On-list or off-list is OK

Used to have the BOB, but now have the Burley Nomad. Much prefer the Burly: easier to attach,
less weight on the wheel, easier to store, doesn't affect handling as much when loaded, higher
weight limit.

- Dan