Trailers

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by WAGGZ, Jun 22, 2010.

1. WAGGZ

WAGGZ New Member

Since I just started cycling I am setting a goal to do a charity ride next year. It just happened a few weeks ago so I gotta wait a year for that and it gives me a year to get in shape. And if I get addicted there is a bike club pretty close by that takes part in a lot of races and charity rides near by.

So my wife has the great idea of buying one of these, and me pulling the kids and her riding solo. We live close Shiloh National Military Park and the kids love going there and picnicing and stuff. I think its a great way for us to spend time and to involve them in my hobby.

My question is; Will pulling this trailer with 50 lbs. worth of children in it be a good form of training to get in shape for these rides?

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Good depends on frequency of the exercise, the intensity of the exercise, and so on. Frankly, though, I can't see pushing hard with the kids on the back. I think that'd be a great way to tarnish time on the bike with the kids and wife.

3. Rocket_Man

Rocket_Man New Member

I'm in the same boat you are. I have a charity ride coming up at the end of August. I, finally, talked my wife into riding with me this year...but, she needs a bit of training. I'm fine for doing the ride, so, I end up pulling the kids. There is quite a bit of weight...I don't know exactly how much, but I'd guess upwards of 100 lbs (if not more), going up hills are FUN!!!

Anyway, I'd recommend getting out on your own also. Just to your own training the way you want to do it. I normally get out early in the morning before the wife/kids are awake. After I get home, they'll normally get ready and out we go.
    ...When the kids and wife are along, its a really relaxed slowish pace (for me). We've also had my In-Laws watch the kids so that my wife and I can get out for some rides w/out the kids.

4. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Alienator hit the nail on the head - bike time, training time = my time.

However, there's also time for going for a ride with the kid to the local park as well.

There's always time for a bike ride, it's just that actual training time is limited... and besides, dragging your kids along in a crappy contraption inches off the ground behind a vehicle (bike) that was never really designed for towing seems like it's destined to end in tears at some point. I'd say that one of those seats that bolts on a bit like a pannier rack, over the back wheel, would be a much better idea - just gotta have a bike with seat and chainstays that are designed for load and not rider comfort.