trailing a bike from a trailer (trailing a bike)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kyler Laird, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. Kyler Laird

    Kyler Laird Guest

    I'm planning to meet my wife in San Carlos/San Mateo next weekend. She's flying in commercially and
    I'm flying in later with dogs, bikes and a trailer. It would work out nicely if I could haul
    everything from the airport to the nearby hotel where we're staying.

    So...my first thought was to use one of the mounted quick-release hubs that I've seen attached to
    pickup beds. I would bolt this to the back of my Burley Cub (plastic floor pan) trailer and then
    secure the front fork of her bike to it, allowing it to trail along on its own back wheel.

    Can it be that easy? Will a bike mounted like this track correctly? I'm reluctant to just start
    poking holes in my trailer to test it.

    Thank you.

    --kyler

    Tags:

  2. Frank Miles

    Frank Miles Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Kyler Laird <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'm planning to meet my wife in San Carlos/San Mateo next weekend. She's flying in commercially and
    >I'm flying in later with dogs, bikes and a trailer. It would work out nicely if I could haul
    >everything from the airport to the nearby hotel where we're staying.
    >
    >So...my first thought was to use one of the mounted quick-release hubs that I've seen attached to
    >pickup beds. I would bolt this to the back of my Burley Cub (plastic floor pan) trailer and then
    >secure the front fork of her bike to it, allowing it to trail along on its own back wheel.
    >
    >Can it be that easy? Will a bike mounted like this track correctly? I'm reluctant to just start
    >poking holes in my trailer to test it.

    I've done this for short distances, though with a home-made trailer rather than the Burley. It
    worked fine.

    I bet if you're clever enough you could avoid making holes in the floor pan. I tied the handlebars
    to both sides of the trailer. To secure the wheel, you might cut some styrofoam to mate to the floor
    pan, and a slot on top to mate with the wheel. (there are probably better ways-- that took more time
    to write it than to think of it)

    It was _way_ easier toting a bike around than the full size extension ladder I've hauled behind a
    bike (you can do lots of stuff with bikes with a little imagination). That length took some care
    going around corners.

    Good luck!

    -frank