trailing spokes

Pageshiner

Guest
Up till now I have built wheels by put the trailing spokes on the inside of the flange.I'm thinking
of putting the trailers on the outside and the leaders on the inside,pretty sure this will be ok if
someone could confirm it ?

page-<< Up till now I have built wheels by put the trailing spokes on the inside of the flange.I'm
thinking of putting the trailers on the outside and the leaders on the inside,pretty sure this will
be ok if someone could confirm it ? >><BR><BR>

Built both ways and it means nothing in terms of the build quality. The gent that taught me to build
wheels said to build 'outside pulling', as on these more stressed spokes, it makes a triangle with a
bigger base, but in reality, it doesn't matter.

A shy person wrote:

> Up till now I have built wheels by put the trailing spokes on the inside of the flange.I'm
> thinking of putting the trailers on the outside and the leaders on the inside,pretty sure this
> will be ok if someone could confirm it ?

Yep. It really doesn't matter in most cases. You can even do one side one way and t'other side
t'other way if that strikes your fancy. That makes lacing a bit more tedious, but some wheelbuilders
believe it imparts some magickal power to the wheel.

Or, you could do up a pair of POWerwheels...that works too!

Sheldon "http://sheldonbrown.com/power_wheel.html" Brown +-----------------------------------------+
| Immigration is not a problem to solve, | but a sign of a successful nation. | --George W. Bush |
+-----------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

pageshiner wrote:
> Up till now I have built wheels by put the trailing spokes on the inside of the flange.I'm
> thinking of putting the trailers on the outside and the leaders on the inside,pretty sure this
> will be ok if someone could confirm it ?

Yes. I do this for the drive side of the rear wheel.

thanks for the confirmatiom Peter/Sheldon its going to be a powerwheel with outside trailers

I learned (and in my experince) that the the trailers (that is if I understand you correctly - the
spokse that from head to nipple point backwards...) go on the outside of the wheel...

nopt for some magical powers - but for the rear, drive side. so if you ever toss the chain inside,
it doesn't get jammed beyond repair...

I just do all the others that way too to make my life easier...

FWIW.

[email protected] (pageshiner) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> thanks for the confirmatiom Peter/Sheldon its going to be a powerwheel with outside trailers

gave the powerwheel a go the only slip up being when I came to do the leading/pushing spokes I first
went 2 under 2 over WRONG soon changed to 3 under 1 over,much better.Still not convinced that the
pushers retard the rim but hey I don't care either everyone I've spoken to liked the idea that
increased pullers make the wheel faster ?

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:33:58 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]>
wrote:

>pageshiner wrote:
>> Up till now I have built wheels by put the trailing spokes on the inside of the flange.I'm
>> thinking of putting the trailers on the outside and the leaders on the inside,pretty sure this
>> will be ok if someone could confirm it ?
>
>Yes. I do this for the drive side of the rear wheel.

I changed my factory laced Schwinn road bike after having a lot of broken spokes under the
freewheel. With the the trailing spokes on the outside I can adjust the tension evenly sweet as a
harp. No broken spokes for the last 1300 miles so I am tempted to say that is the way to go.

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> A shy person wrote:
>
> > Up till now I have built wheels by put the trailing spokes on the inside of the flange.I'm
> > thinking of putting the trailers on the outside and the leaders on the inside,pretty sure this
> > will be ok if someone could confirm it ?
>
> Yep. It really doesn't matter in most cases. You can even do one side one way and t'other side
> t'other way if that strikes your fancy. That makes lacing a bit more tedious, but some
> wheelbuilders believe it imparts some magickal power to the wheel.

are you talking 'identical'? nnnnnooooooobbbbbbbooooooodddddddddyyyyyy does identical. (i know
you're not but that's the way i reading.)

On 8 Jan 2004 04:07:03 -0800, [email protected] (pageshiner) may
have said:

>[email protected] (pageshiner) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> thanks for the confirmatiom Peter/Sheldon its going to be a powerwheel with outside trailers
>

>gave the powerwheel a go the only slip up being when I came to do the leading/pushing spokes I
>first went 2 under 2 over WRONG soon changed to 3 under 1 over,much better.Still not convinced that
>the pushers retard the rim but hey I don't care either everyone I've spoken to liked the idea that
>increased pullers make the wheel faster ?

Presumably, you *did* note that the PowerWheels page is in the humor section of Sheldon's site...

So, once you get that wheel laced up and on the bike, are you going to order one of Sheldon's Real
Man Saddles?

it's also possible that I'm busy.