trailsource.com was a disappointment

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by [email protected], Jun 24, 2008.

  1. I subscribed trailsource.com because it listed some mountain biking
    trails in some areas in Europe where maps and trail descriptions are
    hard to find, for example on Crete.

    To my disappointment, these trail descriptions are not detailed enough
    to ride the trails. Far from it. Or what do you think of the following?
    This is actually one of the more detailed trail descriptions on
    Crete...

    COUNTRY: GREECE
    PROVINCE: Crete
    REGION: Hania
    TITLE: Theriso Gorge
    NOTES: From the northwest coastal town of Hania, a long mountain
    bike ride (60 km) cruises through a 10 km section of the popular
    Theriso Gorge from Perivolia. Next, continue onto Zouvia in the
    hills, then descend radically, and pass through Fournes on the way
    back to Hania. Other good rides are the new trail to Lakki, and
    isolated trails on the Rodopou peninsula with its impressive
    wilderness.
    FOR MORE INFORMATION: Hellas Bike Travel (30) 831-53328; Greek
    Tourism, US (212) 421-5777.
    BREAKFAST JOINT: Unknown
    BASE CAMP: Amalthia Bungalows
    LUXURY LODGE: Hotel Geraniotis Beach; Porto Elounda (30) 284-106-8000
    ADDITIONAL READING: Rough Guide To Crete from John Fisher
    SEASON: Apr. - Oct.

    A 60 km mountain bike trail in less than 50 words (Notes section until
    they start to talk about other trails not described anywhere.) That's
    brevity!

    Trailsource.com advertises trail maps and GPS data, but at least on
    the destinations that I was interested in (Crete, Cyprus, Portugal) I
    did not see any. The search facilities are also poor, and trails are
    not classified based on length, difficulty, terrain, etc. The site
    does not offer any example trail descriptions on user selectable areas
    before subscription (obviously for a good reason!).

    One more suspicious thing about trailsource.com is that the
    subscription is automatically renewed, and canceling the automatic
    renewal requires you to make a support request. The request is handled
    automatically, but only after several days you get a URL where you
    can cancel the subscription renewal. Why can't they give the URL when
    you get the subscription confirmation? It seems to me that by stalling
    the renewal cancellation this way they hope to get some accidental
    renewals; this is just some kind of sick game. (For those interested
    the cancellation URL was
    https://www.trailsource.com/secure/cancel.asp)

    Be careful with trailsource.com.

    --KN

    Tags:

  2. MattB

    MattB Guest

    [email protected]ldomain wrote:
    > I subscribed trailsource.com because it listed some mountain biking
    > trails in some areas in Europe where maps and trail descriptions are
    > hard to find, for example on Crete.
    >
    > To my disappointment, these trail descriptions are not detailed enough
    > to ride the trails. Far from it. Or what do you think of the following?
    > This is actually one of the more detailed trail descriptions on
    > Crete...
    >
    > COUNTRY: GREECE
    > PROVINCE: Crete
    > REGION: Hania
    > TITLE: Theriso Gorge
    > NOTES: From the northwest coastal town of Hania, a long mountain
    > bike ride (60 km) cruises through a 10 km section of the popular
    > Theriso Gorge from Perivolia. Next, continue onto Zouvia in the
    > hills, then descend radically, and pass through Fournes on the way
    > back to Hania. Other good rides are the new trail to Lakki, and
    > isolated trails on the Rodopou peninsula with its impressive
    > wilderness.
    > FOR MORE INFORMATION: Hellas Bike Travel (30) 831-53328; Greek
    > Tourism, US (212) 421-5777.
    > BREAKFAST JOINT: Unknown
    > BASE CAMP: Amalthia Bungalows
    > LUXURY LODGE: Hotel Geraniotis Beach; Porto Elounda (30) 284-106-8000
    > ADDITIONAL READING: Rough Guide To Crete from John Fisher
    > SEASON: Apr. - Oct.
    >
    > A 60 km mountain bike trail in less than 50 words (Notes section until
    > they start to talk about other trails not described anywhere.) That's
    > brevity!
    >
    > Trailsource.com advertises trail maps and GPS data, but at least on
    > the destinations that I was interested in (Crete, Cyprus, Portugal) I
    > did not see any. The search facilities are also poor, and trails are
    > not classified based on length, difficulty, terrain, etc. The site
    > does not offer any example trail descriptions on user selectable areas
    > before subscription (obviously for a good reason!).
    >
    > One more suspicious thing about trailsource.com is that the
    > subscription is automatically renewed, and canceling the automatic
    > renewal requires you to make a support request. The request is handled
    > automatically, but only after several days you get a URL where you
    > can cancel the subscription renewal. Why can't they give the URL when
    > you get the subscription confirmation? It seems to me that by stalling
    > the renewal cancellation this way they hope to get some accidental
    > renewals; this is just some kind of sick game. (For those interested
    > the cancellation URL was
    > https://www.trailsource.com/secure/cancel.asp)
    >
    > Be careful with trailsource.com.
    >
    > --KN

    That looks really crappy. Sounds pretty shady to me. I'd never sign up
    for a pay site like that unless it was Google Earth or something as well
    known and respected.
    Thanks for the warning!

    Matt

  3. NotaKnob

    NotaKnob Guest

    On Jun 25, 12:41¬†am, [email protected] wrote:
    > I subscribed trailsource.com because it listed some mountain biking
    > trails in some areas in Europe where maps and trail descriptions are
    > hard to find, for example on Crete.
    >
    > To my disappointment, these trail descriptions are not detailed enough
    > to ride the trails. Far from it. Or what do you think of the following?
    > This is actually one of the more detailed trail descriptions on
    > Crete...

    <snip>

    Try this: http://www.gps-tour.info/de/touren.html. Use your mouse to
    move the map to Crete (aka Kreta in German). Or enter Griechenland
    in the "suchbegriff" (search) box.