Trainer advice

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dja, Feb 19, 2003.

  1. Dja

    Dja Guest

    I've just begun research on a trainer for my hybrid so I can keep active when it's lousy outside.
    Already I'm confused by the different types of trainers available: Magnetic, Fan and Fluid. I'm
    sure there are pros and cons associated with each type. Can anyone give me some advice on why one
    type is preferable over another? What should I be looking for in a trainer? I'm looking to spend
    under $150US.

    TIA, Dave

    Tags:

  2. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >I've just begun research on a trainer for my hybrid so I can keep active when it's lousy outside.
    >Already I'm confused by the different types of trainers available: Magnetic, Fan and Fluid. I'm
    >sure there are pros and cons associated with each ty

    >pe. Can anyone give me some advice on why one type is preferable over another? What should I be
    >looking for in a trainer? I'm looking to spend under $150US.
    >
    >TIA, Dave

    This topic is covered here and on RBT on a regular basis. A google search will turn up lots of info.

    Personally I think MAG trainers are just fine, they are reasonably quiet, reliable, adjustable and
    simple to use. I have a Blackburn Trackstand that I got at a yard sale for $10, I had long thought
    those were the best but the others work fine too. Wind trainers are noisy and lack adjustable load,
    work good though, fluid trainers are OK , not noisy like a wind trainer but cost more and are more
    complicated, the old ones were failure prone.

    My thinking: They're all decent, find a cheap one and ride it, thats what important.

    Nashbar has one on sale for about $90 or so.

    jon isaacs

  3. > My thinking: They're all decent, find a cheap one and ride it, thats what important.

    They may all be "decent" but there are huge differences in how the various brands are supported.
    Customers looking at trainers should ask the dealer what happens if, three years down the road, they
    need a part that's not available anymore. Blackburn and CycleOps have gone to extraordinary lengths
    to take care of customers in such situations, while we've had other "name brands" that just say
    tough, it's out of warranty, not our problem. We don't carry those brands anymore.

    Of course, if you can find one for $10 at a yard sale...

    news:[email protected]...