Trainer choice

voodoo wrote:

> Fluid trainers are best as they are very quiet. Get yourself a slick, and a spare rear wheel, but
> be warned, trainers are the most boring devices ever invented. I lasted less than a week with
> mine. It still sits in the closet.

Voodoo has it right. Normal trainers are really boring and never motivational. I understand you're
looking for cheap, but for others reading this thread might take note...

Moving up the food chain you'll get a lot more use out of an electronically controlled trainer which
can help you zero in on specific workout zones & types (heartrate, power, or slope). In addition, a
few trainers connect directly to your computer and store the workout info there. This can be handy
for incorporating the data into your year-long training diary. Some trainer brands (in $US):
Performance Axiom $400, Cyclops eTrainer $450, Tacx I-Magic $550, and Computrainer $1400. Prices
include the software that make them fully functional. No sense arguing over what the base cost is,
if it doesn't do anything without all the necessary add-ons.

If you have enough cash for a very large piece of cheese, a virtual reality capable trainer setup is
the ultimate choice for indoor training, especially when it's sub-zero outside and there's 3 feet of
snow piled up. The VR stuff is fun enough and keeps the mind a little more occupied than watching I
Dream of Genie reruns.

We hooked up our iMagic trainer to a laptop w/internet connection, bought a bunch of NetAthlon VR
courses from Fitcentric.com and rode throughout the winter with guys from all over the US and
Europe. That's what got me out of bed early or off the couch at night... online rides with the guys.
Come springtime, I had actually lost weight over the winter and hit the early season rides with lots
of power. Compared to the last few seasons with a "dumb" trainer, the electronic trainer was a vast
improvement in indoor miles and 3" less on the belt.

A couple of links: NetAthlon screenshots: http://bryan_im.home.comcast.net/netathlon/ NetAthlon
software site: http://www.fitcentric.com/ NetAthlon user's group:
http://www.tacx.nl/frameset.cfm?id=311&l=en

BTW: I have no affiliation with any product mentioned here.

Used to have one when I lived in Gualala, CA....Mendocino County. 12 volt TV hooked up to a car
battery, hooked up to car generator, hooked up to bicycle.

"Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Ifg_a.10270$2g.8193@fed1read05...
> > <snip>
> >
> > A trainer that powers you television or PC.
> >
> Used to have one when I lived in Gualala, CA....Mendocino County. 12 volt TV hooked up to a car
> battery, hooked up to car generator, hooked up to bicycle.

Motivation to train.

"Bryan Boldt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> A couple of links: NetAthlon screenshots: http://bryan_im.home.comcast.net/netathlon/ NetAthlon
> software site: http://www.fitcentric.com/ NetAthlon user's group:
> Tacx iMagic trainer: http://www.tacx.nl/frameset.cfm?id=311&l=en
>
> BTW: I have no affiliation with any product mentioned here.

The fitcentric site hasn't been updated since 09 January 2003 and a lot of the links don't work.

Do you have to pay extra to use Web Racing?

Dashii

Bryan Boldt <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> voodoo wrote:
> > >
> > Fluid trainers are best as they are very quiet. Get yourself a slick, and a spare rear wheel,
> > but be warned, trainers are the most boring devices ever invented. I lasted less than a week
> > with mine. It still sits in the closet.
>
> Voodoo has it right. Normal trainers are really boring and never motivational. I understand you're
> looking for cheap, but for others reading this thread might take note...
>
> Moving up the food chain you'll get a lot more use out of an electronically controlled trainer
> which can help you zero in on specific workout zones & types (heartrate, power, or slope). In
> addition, a few trainers connect directly to your computer and store the workout info there. This
> can be handy for incorporating the data into your year-long training diary. Some trainer brands
> (in $US): Performance Axiom $400, Cyclops eTrainer $450, Tacx I-Magic $550, and Computrainer
> $1400. Prices include the software that make them fully functional. No sense arguing over what the
> base cost is, if it doesn't do anything without all the necessary add-ons.
>
> If you have enough cash for a very large piece of cheese, a virtual reality capable trainer setup
> is the ultimate choice for indoor training, especially when it's sub-zero outside and there's 3
> feet of snow piled up. The VR stuff is fun enough and keeps the mind a little more occupied than
> watching I Dream of Genie reruns.
>
> We hooked up our iMagic trainer to a laptop w/internet connection, bought a bunch of NetAthlon VR
> courses from Fitcentric.com and rode throughout the winter with guys from all over the US and
> Europe. That's what got me out of bed early or off the couch at night... online rides with the
> guys. Come springtime, I had actually lost weight over the winter and hit the early season rides
> with lots of power. Compared to the last few seasons with a "dumb" trainer, the electronic trainer
> was a vast improvement in indoor miles and 3" less on the belt.
>
> A couple of links: NetAthlon screenshots: http://bryan_im.home.comcast.net/netathlon/ NetAthlon
> software site: http://www.fitcentric.com/ NetAthlon user's group:
> http://www.tacx.nl/frameset.cfm?id=311&l=en
>
> BTW: I have no affiliation with any product mentioned here.

You don't have to spend that kind of jack to get a good workout and enjoy the fun with your friends.
The past couple of winters we have set up training rides in basements for several team mates. Using
regular trainers and rear wheel mount computers we had our own competition while following either
Spinverals videos or Train Right videos.

Sure you can't slice and dice your results like you can with all the extra doo-hickeys, but you can
still get a great workout, lose weight, and have fun with your friends.

Just be sure you find a basement that isn't carpeted....

So do I, but the reception is ****.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Bob M <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> On 11 Aug 2003 13:29:02 GMT, Andrew Thorne <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >> AI know it's early for this one, but this year i want to finally buy
one
> >> of these, and would like to do it without rush. last year was horrible: parts, manteinance
> >> time, awful temperatures,
all
> >> added to reduce to almost nothing my winter riding, i still think it
was
> >> worth it but not enough to keep fitness and weight in check, so this year at least i will try
> >> to train more indoors. i am almost sold out for a hydraulic trainer, performance's travel track
> >> with intensity control is very appealing with it's cheap price and sturdy construction. any of
> >> you guys has experience with them? alternatives? is it woth buying a cheap slick tire? thanks
> >>

> > You'll have waaay more fun if you spend your money on winter clothes, studded tires (depending
> > on where you live) and lights.
> >
> > Riding indoors is hell. Go outside regardless of the weather.
> >
> > -Andrew

Indeed - last year I put studded tyres on (made 'em the year before.....just before the
thaw......heheheh.) and rode to work no matter (had been too ill for trail riding). Made them myself
outa old tyres and hardened machine screws with help from common sense and tips from the 'icebike'
web-site. Before that, well, I just rode in snow and ice anyway (yeah, I have the scars to prove it
(heheheheh.....) but never fell off road).

Just stud-up (or not), layer up, shut the hell up, and ride!

Shaun aRe - trainer-schmainer.

"voodoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Ifg_a.10270$2g.8193@fed1read05...
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > A trainer that powers you television or PC.
> > >
> > Used to have one when I lived in Gualala, CA....Mendocino County. 12
volt
> > TV hooked up to a car battery, hooked up to car generator, hooked up to bicycle.
> >
> Motivation to train.

Not really, seeing the current level of programming now available on TV.

Mike - 'Reality' what a concept! ;^)

> "voodoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > > Used to have one when I lived in Gualala, CA....Mendocino County. 12
> volt
> > > TV hooked up to a car battery, hooked up to car generator, hooked up
> > > bicycle.
> > >
> > Motivation to train.
> >

> Not really, seeing the current level of programming now available on TV.

My dish is fuxored right now.