Trainer & Computer

jhuyser

Apr 28, 2004
I just recently started to use my new fluid 2 trainer.(trying to get my butt in shape for outdoor riding) Any how when I purchased my bike i had a flight deck computer installed on it. My problem is, now i think using the trainer would be alot more enjoyable and I would get a better work out if I could use a computer with the trainer. problem is the flight deck feeds off my front tire? and suggestions. They are coming out with a extention for the flight deck later on this year but didn't know what the rest of you do that want a computer trainer combo? Besides purchasing a trainer with a computer.

I've got a similar setup (Trek 5500 w Flight Deck). Suggest you look into a heart rate monitor for cyclists. I have a Polar S520 and at least get cadence in addition to heart rate to use as metrics. Do miss the speed and distance and thought about getting a computer and wired sensor for the real wheel but with everything I've read of recent I decided to go with a watt computer that the manufaturer of the trainer I purchased (Kurt Kinetic Road Machine) instead ($50). I know the computer will only work when connected to the trainer and also know to get accurate numbers, a more expensive setup is needed. But more interested in the week to week changes given the same bike on the same trainer as opposed to comparing average watts generated between riding buddies.

jhuyser said:
I just recently started to use my new fluid 2 trainer.(trying to get my butt in shape for outdoor riding) Any how when I purchased my bike i had a flight deck computer installed on it. My problem is, now i think using the trainer would be alot more enjoyable and I would get a better work out if I could use a computer with the trainer. problem is the flight deck feeds off my front tire? and suggestions. They are coming out with a extention for the flight deck later on this year but didn't know what the rest of you do that want a computer trainer combo? Besides purchasing a trainer with a computer.

thanks to all that posted i ended up putting a cateye on it this weekend that i got off ebay for 30 bucks. just going to use the cateye when i am using the trainer.

This past weekend I installed a cheap Target/Schwinn computer at the rear wheel. I don't know that it's the most accurate but it provides some good numbers to gauge my effort by. I set it up with cable ties so I can easily remove it if and when the weather clears up (supposed to be 52 this weekend clear and sunny...)

leadbutt said:
This past weekend I installed a cheap Target/Schwinn computer at the rear wheel. I don't know that it's the most accurate but it provides some good numbers to gauge my effort by. I set it up with cable ties so I can easily remove it if and when the weather clears up (supposed to be 52 this weekend clear and sunny...)
You live in NC!

Are you doing the Assualt on the Carolina's?