Trainer damage?

Joel Rose

Guest
Is there any validity to the idea of a bike being damaged when used on a stationary trainer? I have
read several posts on other sites that suggest this possibility and since I have recently started to
use one, I am a little nervous about any damage I could be causing to my bike.

I only ride seated which seems to keep the bike pretty straight while on the trainer. A friend
of mine gets out of the saddle and really puts in a big effort on his and I wonder if that is a
good thing?

Thanks for any advice or opinions.

Joel R

"Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Kmy%[email protected]...
> Is there any validity to the idea of a bike being damaged when used on a stationary trainer? I
> have read several posts on other sites that suggest this possibility and since I have recently
> started to use one, I am a
little
> nervous about any damage I could be causing to my bike.
>
> I only ride seated which seems to keep the bike pretty straight while on
the
> trainer. A friend of mine gets out of the saddle and really puts in a big effort on his and I
> wonder if that is a good thing?

We touched on this subject a while ago here. I recall a roller manufacturer casting aspersions (
without an actual accusation which would have needed some backup) on trainers offhandedly in an ad,
something like,"Won't twist your frame as trainers may" or some such.

Having sold literally a couple of thousand of the old style trainers (into which one clamps the bike
by the fork and behind the BB) and even more ofthe modern ones ( which support the bicycle across
the rear axle) I have never seen a case of frame damage from a trainer.

Consider for a moment that even a careful rider subjects the bike to a magnitude more impact on any
Sunday morning than a trainer ever could. I can't see how a trainer could be a problem for a
bicycle frame.

OK, maybe except for possibly clamping the old style clamp on the chainstays until you crimp them -
but it would take real work to do that.

Thanks. I know personally it does not seem that any harm is being done to my bike while I'm on the
trainer. I must have seen a similar ad that stated that trainers are great but...

Bye for now, J Rose "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Kmy%[email protected]...
> > Is there any validity to the idea of a bike being damaged when used on a stationary trainer? I
> > have read several posts on other sites that
suggest
> > this possibility and since I have recently started to use one, I am a
> little
> > nervous about any damage I could be causing to my bike.
> >
> > I only ride seated which seems to keep the bike pretty straight while on
> the
> > trainer. A friend of mine gets out of the saddle and really puts in a
big
> > effort on his and I wonder if that is a good thing?
>

> We touched on this subject a while ago here. I recall a roller
manufacturer
> casting aspersions ( without an actual accusation which would have needed some backup) on trainers
> offhandedly in an ad, something like,"Won't twist your frame as trainers may" or some such.
>
> Having sold literally a couple of thousand of the old style trainers (into which one clamps the
> bike by the fork and behind the BB) and even more
ofthe
> modern ones ( which support the bicycle across the rear axle) I have never seen a case of frame
> damage from a trainer.
>
> Consider for a moment that even a careful rider subjects the bike to a magnitude more impact on
> any Sunday morning than a trainer ever could. I can't see how a trainer could be a problem for a
> bicycle frame.
>
> OK, maybe except for possibly clamping the old style clamp on the
chainstays
> until you crimp them - but it would take real work to do that.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

The special front-wheel QR skewer that came with my Tacx trainer bent pretty good while I was using
the trainer. I had both the skewer and the stand screwed in pretty tight, so I'm not sure what
happened. I noticed it when I was putting the regular skewer back in. Does this harm the wheel?

Jens

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 13:18:09 -0500, "Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is there any validity to the idea of a bike being damaged when used on a stationary trainer? I have
>read several posts on other sites that suggest this possibility and since I have recently started
>to use one, I am a little nervous about any damage I could be causing to my bike.

I've noticed that some score up the ends of the rear skewer. :-(

> > "Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message>
> news:Kmy%[email protected]...
> > > Is there any validity to the idea of a bike being damaged when used on
> > > stationary trainer? I have read several posts on other sites that
> suggest
> > > this possibility and since I have recently started to use one, I am a
> > little
> > > nervous about any damage I could be causing to my bike.
> > >
> > > I only ride seated which seems to keep the bike pretty straight while
on
> > the
> > > trainer. A friend of mine gets out of the saddle and really puts in a
> big
> > > effort on his and I wonder if that is a good thing?

([email protected]) offered:
> > We touched on this subject a while ago here. I recall a roller
> manufacturer
> > casting aspersions ( without an actual accusation which would have
needed
> > some backup) on trainers offhandedly in an ad, something like,"Won't
twist
> > your frame as trainers may" or some such.
> >
> > Having sold literally a couple of thousand of the old style trainers
(into
> > which one clamps the bike by the fork and behind the BB) and even more
> ofthe
> > modern ones ( which support the bicycle across the rear axle) I have
never
> > seen a case of frame damage from a trainer.
> >
> > Consider for a moment that even a careful rider subjects the bike to a magnitude more impact on
> > any Sunday morning than a trainer ever could. I can't see how a trainer could be a problem for a
> > bicycle frame.
> >
> > OK, maybe except for possibly clamping the old style clamp on the
> chainstays
> > until you crimp them - but it would take real work to do that.

"Jens Kurt Heycke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:lJQ%[email protected]...
> The special front-wheel QR skewer that came with my Tacx trainer bent pretty good while I was
> using the trainer. I had both the skewer and the stand screwed in pretty tight, so I'm not sure
> what happened. I noticed it when I was putting the regular skewer back in. Does this
harm
> the wheel?

I don't see how it can damage the wheel. But a skewer that's bent reflects likley having been
installed not-quite-tight-enough or perhaps askew (maybe on top of a Saf-Tee lip??).

Add a drop of oil on the cam and the threads and ensure you're locking it just as you would any
other skewer - hard enough to see the print of the lever on your palm for a few seconds ( but less
than a purple mark!).

The wheel's surely OK but I would look at the fork tips if the skewer slipped in use. Are they
parallel? That is a concern, but still much less serious than a loose skewer out of the saddle
in traffic!