Trainer Dilemma

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
Alright, here's the deal. I had a Cycleops fluid trainer a few years ago. I didn't really care for it, it's the only trainer i've ever rode, but I felt like a didn't get a lot from it. It never felt like it got harder the faster I pedaled. Anyway, I ended up selling it. Now that its winter i've started looking again. I've looked at the Proform Tour de france bike which looks pretty cool but is very expensive and has crappy reviews. I've also looked at the Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll Trainer which looks to be a better value, but I'm worried it will be just like the Cylceops. Any Opinions? Should I be looking at something else?

Are you only interested in resistance trainers? You may want to look into rollers as well.

Originally Posted by jwroubaix .

Alright, here's the deal. I had a Cycleops fluid trainer a few years ago. I didn't really care for it, it's the only trainer i've ever rode, but I felt like a didn't get a lot from it. It never felt like it got harder the faster I pedaled. Anyway, I ended up selling it. Now that its winter i've started looking again. I've looked at the Proform Tour de france bike which looks pretty cool but is very expensive and has crappy reviews. I've also looked at the Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll Trainer which looks to be a better value, but I'm worried it will be just like the Cylceops. Any Opinions? Should I be looking at something else?
You really need a power peter of some type to know if the resistance goes up or not. I usually ride on my Kurt fluid trainer at 180-200w (50/20 gearing). But it certainly gets up to 300w when I feel like it.

So far I love the Proform TDF trainer. Most of the pre loaded stages are challenging but stage 12 and 18 are so hard I don't even want to comment on how I did on them.
Maybe I have been lucky and got a good one but so far so good.

There is plenty of growing room for me using the standard Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer and the e-Motion rollers (has resistance settings). I cannot imagine me being able to out perform either of these. Plus I get to use the same road bikes equipped with power meter indoor and outdoor.

just another opinion that the lower cost KK fluid should keep one challenged for indoor training.

Kurt Kinetic. Just recently started using one. Very good at giving resistance. Just be sure to tighten the roller up against the wheel for good contact. I started to light and was getting tire slip when pushing hard.