trainer - flat tires

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Laura, Feb 2, 2003.

  1. Laura

    Laura Guest

    In 6 weeks of using an indoor trainer (mag), I've gotten two flat tires. Is this a common problem?
    Do I need to inflate tires more, less? Thanks for any suggestions.

    Tags:

  2. Robertf

    Robertf Guest

    Hi laura,

    I have a mag trainer two. I was told tha it could be hard on the tires and the bike. I have had mine
    for about a month and didn't get a flat yet. I may not have used it as much as you have. I filled
    the rear tire with the same pressure I use on the road, 100 PSI. There is a tensioner that puts
    pressure on the tire, either you have it two tight or to loose. To loose and the tire heats up, to
    tight with low pressure could cause a snake bite (where the tube gets pinched between the rim and
    the inside surface of the tire) and you'l notice when you repair the flat there are two holes.
    That's the best I can offer. Bob "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:gG9%[email protected]...

    > In 6 weeks of using an indoor trainer (mag), I've gotten two flat tires. Is this a common problem?
    > Do I need to inflate tires more, less? Thanks for any suggestions.

  3. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:gG9%[email protected]ink.net...

    > In 6 weeks of using an indoor trainer (mag), I've gotten two flat tires. Is this a common problem?
    > Do I need to inflate tires more, less? Thanks for any suggestions.

    I've never heard of it. It's quite possible you have a wire or piece of glass in your tire. If you
    haven't already, carefully examine the spot on the tire that lines up with the hole in the tube,
    often these things (especially little bits of wire) are hard to spot.

  4. Laura <[email protected]> wrote let it be known in
    news:gG9%[email protected]:

    > In 6 weeks of using an indoor trainer (mag), I've gotten two flat tires. Is this a common problem?
    > Do I need to inflate tires more, less? Thanks for any suggestions.

    1) The next time you have the tire off, look inside the wheel and make sure the tape that covers the
    inside ends of the spokes is still in place and not punctured by any of the spokes, or pushed
    aside. If the metal end of a spoke is showing, it can easily poke a whole in the tube. If you are
    in doubt, pick up some replacemet tape at your LBS and re-tape the wheel.

    2) You can also look very carefully at the tire. Maybe you picked up a piece of glass last summer
    and it is still embedded in the tire. Before taking the tire apart after the next flat, mark the
    tire and wheel so after you find where the flat is on the tube you can relate it to a specific
    part of the wheel or tire and examine it more closely.

    3) If you are sure that there is no foreign object puncturing the tire, it MIGHT be a problem with
    the tube not being seated well in the wheel when you inflate it. You may be assembling it not
    noticing a pinch or fold in the tube when you put it together.

    Good luck. I have a friend who had so may 'unexplainable' flats with one set of wheels that he
    finally got rid of them. Every 20 miles he would flat, and he never found the cause, which is
    probably why he found them so cheap on Ebay in the first place!

    --

    Curt Bousquet [email protected] < Reverse for email

    Road biking in Southern VT and Western Mass.

    My 2002 bike log: http://www.scanline.com/bikelog/2002.html

  5. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >In 6 weeks of using an indoor trainer (mag), I've gotten two flat tires. Is this a common problem?
    >Do I need to inflate tires more, less? Thanks for any suggestions.

    What was the cause of the flats?

    Jon Isaacs