trainer - mag or fluid?

genedoc

Aug 15, 2006
Which type is more road like, quieter, or ? Example: CycleOps fluid 2 vs mag

The question you haven't asked is the most important question (or at least it would be for me): which trainer can be used to ride high-intensity efforts at a consistent and predictable intensity? The reason this question is important is that if one doesn't have a power meter, a trainer can be used to ride high-intensity efforts at appropriate levels of intensity based on a simple speedometer. For this purpose, I would buy the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. If one does have a PM, this is less important, but I would still buy this trainer.

I have to agree with RD. Not only do I own the Kinetic, but I've been following his notes on LT workouts for a couple of months now - I therefore feel morally obliged to agree with his opinions!! *grin*

Re your original question: anecdotally, the Kinetic is one of the quietest (or should I say least noisy) trainers on the market. The tyre resistance feels realistic; rolling motion is very smooth, especially compared to a rim-drive trainer. I can't provide any advice on rollers - presumably you should be able to try before you buy, in any case.

RobM said:
I have to agree with RD. Not only do I own the Kinetic, but I've been following his notes on LT workouts for a couple of months now - I therefore feel morally obliged to agree with his opinions!! *grin*
Heads up, Tyson, you've got guys on your wheel!;)