Trainer, Magnetic or Fluid resistance?

Wally

Jun 28, 2003
I am planing on purchasing a trainer this week. I find lots of magnetic resistance types out there as well as fluid resistance for more money. I have never used a trainer before ( I use rollers often). Will I regret saving money and getting a magnetic type over a fluid type?

What are the pros and cons of each ?

Fluid (and wind) trainers have a more realistic power curve on them. Mag trainers are definitely cheaper but not as realistic. The only disadvantage to a wind trainer is the noise, so if you're going to be using it in a garage or something, it'll save you a bit of money.

ganderctr said:
Fluid (and wind) trainers have a more realistic power curve on them. Mag trainers are definitely cheaper but not as realistic. The only disadvantage to a wind trainer is the noise, so if you're going to be using it in a garage or something, it'll save you a bit of money.
Agree, I still like my old Blackburn wind trainer for the realistic load curve. I use it in an upstairs bedroom. With two layers of carpet under it, my wife says it's not loud at all downstairs. Don't know if fan trainers are even made anymore.

I've had a mag trainer, and have been using it relgiously with spinervals videos. I've gotten a great workout. My one friend had a fluid trainer and said he and some other people had problems with the fluid leaking.

I've recently purchased a mag trainer and I am very happy with it.
It is relatively quiet, easy to set up and gives a great work out.

I have used a fluid trainer but, whilst they are definitely better, could not really justify the extra cost for my humble needs.

If you do get a mag trainer make sure it has a remote to control the resistance.

I suppose the bottom line is - if you are after realism then take the bike out and don't use a trainer ;)

Wally said:
I am planing on purchasing a trainer this week. I find lots of magnetic resistance types out there as well as fluid resistance for more money. I have never used a trainer before ( I use rollers often). Will I regret saving money and getting a magnetic type over a fluid type?

What are the pros and cons of each ?

A trainer that's not mentioned much is the Cateye CS1000. It has both mag and fan resistance. It has a very nice road feel to it. I've used this trainer since 1994. The only draw back is that it is loud but I have it setup in the basement so noise is not a problem. I have a "retired" bike mounted on it ready to ride.

greg

As many posts mention, the advantage of fluid or wind is the realistic resistance curve. I have an old TurboTrainer (an early wind trainer) which is simply too noisy for anywhere but the basement, and a CycleOps F2 which is great and I can use in the family room watching tv. What you don't say in your post is your intended use. If you are going to ride it for "general fitness", you could save some money and go mag. But if you are doing any structured training (i.e. specific intervals) you want to go fluid to get the best return for the effort you're putting in. Another way of saying the same thing: if you want to use the trainer for weight loss, mag will burn calories, but if you have a coach and are working towards the racing season, you want to go fluid. By the way, no one has mentioned the computerized "super trainers" (i.e. a CompuTrainer or similar) but they are a lot more expensive!

Thanks for all of the replies. My intention with the trainer is to simply get some time on my bicycle when I do not have enough concentration to ride the rollers. My first race isnt until April 16th and Ill have lots of real miles on before then.........I hope :D

About the remote resistance on any trainer: I think it's a waste of money personally. When I do my spinervals video, I set mine on medium, and coach troy tells you to switch gears. Trust me, going from small ring - 15 to big ring 12 is quite the increase in resistance. Save the money you would spend on a remote, and buy some training videos

Agree. Picked up a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine (fluid trainer) and have been using is 6/7 days a week. With so much I've read on watts of late, decided to get the watt meter for same (awaiting delivery). I certainly expect it's accuracy limited given what I've read, but at least it will be useful for relative differences in performance from week to week since the rider, bike and trainer are all the same.

palewin said:
As many posts mention, the advantage of fluid or wind is the realistic resistance curve. I have an old TurboTrainer (an early wind trainer) which is simply too noisy for anywhere but the basement, and a CycleOps F2 which is great and I can use in the family room watching tv. What you don't say in your post is your intended use. If you are going to ride it for "general fitness", you could save some money and go mag. But if you are doing any structured training (i.e. specific intervals) you want to go fluid to get the best return for the effort you're putting in. Another way of saying the same thing: if you want to use the trainer for weight loss, mag will burn calories, but if you have a coach and are working towards the racing season, you want to go fluid. By the way, no one has mentioned the computerized "super trainers" (i.e. a CompuTrainer or similar) but they are a lot more expensive!

joule said:
Agree. Picked up a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine (fluid trainer) and have been using is 6/7 days a week. With so much I've read on watts of late, decided to get the watt meter for same (awaiting delivery). I certainly expect it's accuracy limited given what I've read, but at least it will be useful for relative differences in performance from week to week since the rider, bike and trainer are all the same.
I contacted Kurt about that watt meter and it's just a regular cyclo-computer that turns the speed into watts based upon interpolations against their published power curve. It's not hooked into the fluid unit itself. So it's just a different number for your speed. I was going to buy it but after I found that out I bagged the idea.

Interesting. Well seeing I don't have speed (sensor on the front wheel of both bikes) I guess it will still be worth it. Least it's not expensive. If only Polar's speed sensor worked on the rear wheel then things would be a good deal simplier.

in.10.city said:
I contacted Kurt about that watt meter and it's just a regular cyclo-computer that turns the speed into watts based upon interpolations against their published power curve. It's not hooked into the fluid unit itself. So it's just a different number for your speed. I was going to buy it but after I found that out I bagged the idea.

Well got the Kurt trainer computer. Not the best thing I've seen. Wired sensor on the back wheel hooks to a readable display on the front. Does the basic stuff (adjust time, wheel diameter, time, speed, distance, watts, max speed, max watts) but no cadence. Course watts is computed based on current speed. Cadence is not an issue for me since I have the Polar S520 hooked up also. But since that uses the front wheel for everything other than cadence, I have no information when burning miles on the trainer.

Battery cover and compartment pretty cheesy. Has a connector between the display unit and rear wired sensor that probably would not last very long in the elements. They give you some heat wrap to shrink over it to keep the sweat etc out. Won't bother with that since I'd rather be able to take it off when the weather gets better. But works for what I wanted, namely to get speed, distance and watts while hooked up to the trainer. Installation was not hard.

Short of it, if you have a Kurt Road Machine and are dying to get some stats, it's probably worth the $50 to you. But I'd not use it outside if I was you.

in.10.city said:

I always figured these contraptions would be a simple "bike stand" to simply convert a bicycle to a stationary bike.

I'm finding the cheapest one is around $90-$120. (Magnetic)

I'm simply looking for a change in working out, I'm not training or anything.

Is this the standard price?

moonlight369 said:
I always figured these contraptions would be a simple "bike stand" to simply convert a bicycle to a stationary bike.

I'm finding the cheapest one is around $90-$120. (Magnetic)

I'm simply looking for a change in working out, I'm not training or anything.

Is this the standard price?

That is around normal pricing. You might find better on line with a closeout or clearance.

A normal bike stand would not offer you any resistance so these units have ways to give you resistance such as mag, wind or fluid with the wind and fluid units usually giving the most realistic type resistance.