Trainer or outdoors for fitness testing? Newbie need help

82zman

Mar 27, 2006
I am new to using a PM. I purchased an PT Pro+. I can not seem to find a suitable location to do the testing recommended in Coggans book.

I have a KK Pro trainer and I am thinking it best to do at least the longer stuff on it for lack of a suitable outdoor area. (too many stops, varying terrain etc.)

My question is will the results of an indoor test predict outdoor results accurately? I am getting ready to do my first TT and wanted the data for pacing. I understand Watts are Watts but in general where will I produce the most watts, Indoor or outdoor? I can see it going both ways. For instance I might have a better fitness test indoors because of the consistency of the trainer which would result in better pacing. Or I could have a better result outdoors because of increased cooling and a more interesting stimulus.

Thanks for your help

82zman said:
... I am getting ready to do my first TT and wanted the data for pacing. ...
As Alex say's many if not most folks find they can put out more power outdoors, the exceptions seem to be folks that lack suitable long unbroken or steadily graded roads and possibly those who have high inertia trainers like Velodynes (or Alex's custom trainer).

For the purpose of estimating TT power for pacing, I'd strongly recommend finding an outdoor training venue where you can do at least 10 minute steady efforts and preferably longer even if you have to travel a bit to get there. Indoor vs. outdoor power is typically different and road bike vs. TT position power is typically different. Put them together and your pacing estimates based on indoor rides will probably be quite different than what you can do on the TT bike. Beside's there are important pacing skills to develop on the TT bike, especially figuring out how to pace from a standing start without going too hard. Try to find a venue where you can get better power estimates for sustained efforts and where you can work on your starts and pacing.

Good luck in your TT,
-Dave

Outdoors for a test no question. Fortunately there is an 8 mile park loop around a wellfield close by that I use for all of my form tests. Perfect for 20 min intervals- completely flat.

My fluid trainer "loosens up" as it heats up and I find it very hard to do 20 min intervals on because of this. Cadence rises steadily, but slowly enough to where I don't notice it until panting like a dog. On/off type stuff it's perfect for.

The rollers are my choice if I have to do sub-threshold indoors. Cadence stays steady and it's much easier for me to stay inside my prescribed wattage.

Well before I got to read these replies I did the test indoors. I was able to hold 296 W for 20 minutes. I have done some sprints on the road and max 5 sec effort is 733W. That's pathetic but I weight only 129 lbs so while I am bummed with the 733W 5 sec effort I am quite happy with the 296 Watt Threshold test. I am already learning a lot about my strengths and weaknesses with this new gizmo

I tried some smaller threshold efforts on the road and found I have a lot to learn about pacing. I am hitting over 400 watts on hills and then finding I have to recover a bit to get to FT pace

For the time trial I am doing I will be using a road bike as it actually suits the course better as as there is a very wicked final climb plus I do not even own a TT bike. This TT course is more about climbing than aero.

This is going to be my first competition of any sort on a bike so although I wish to do a decent effort it will be more of a learning experience.

Thanks for all the help and good advice