Indoor and virtual cycling · Public discussion

Trainer or road for intervals?

Started by ambal · · Last activity · 5 posts · 5 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Indoor and virtual cycling
Published
25 September 2026
Last activity
28 September 2026
Original author
ambal
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Controlled intervals are easier to execute indoors: no junctions, no descents, no traffic. That makes the trainer a strong option when the point is to keep the effort uninterrupted. Still, a cleaner session is not automatically a better one; the setup should serve the session, not become the point of it. I would choose indoors when interruptions would get in the way of the work, rather than making every hard day an indoor day by default. The useful distinction is the purpose of the session, not whether one setting looks more serious on paper. For hard structured intervals, do you put them on the trainer by default, or decide session by session?

  2. For intervals where I want steady power and controlled recoveries, I’d default to the trainer. If the session is meant to practise repeated climbs, corner exits, or race-specific efforts, I’d decide based on whether I can do that work properly outside. So: trainer for controlled intervals, session by session when the riding itself is part of the workout.

  3. Repeated climbs aren’t automatically an outdoor job: if the target is sustained power with controlled recoveries, I’d do that indoors. Save the road for pacing on real gradients and corner exits; the trainer won’t teach you where to put the bike.

  4. matt s said:

    Repeated climbs aren’t automatically an outdoor job: if the target is sustained power with controlled recoveries, I’d do that indoors. Save the road for pacing on real gradients and corner exits; the trainer won’t teach you where to put the bike.


    For MTB, I’d save the trail, not just the road. A steady road climb gives you gradient pacing, but getting the pedals back up to speed through a tight switchback without losing traction is trail practice. High-cadence intervals help with the burst; they don’t replace doing it on dirt.

  5. Watts and cadence can tell you whether you hit the physical target, not whether the rear tyre stayed hooked up through that turn. I’d keep controlled power repeats on the trainer and use dirt reps for the traction and timing; a high-cadence set doesn’t reproduce that practice.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.