Trainer Resistance

robertjuric

Nov 25, 2012
I just got a new trainer, it's an entry level magnetic trainer. I'm just not sure how to tell if I'm setting the resistance correctly. Is there some way to tell? I wonder how off my speed and distance measurements are if I'm at a lower than average resistance.

Originally Posted by robertjuric .

... I wonder how off my speed and distance measurements are if I'm at a lower than average resistance.
Off relative to what? Trainer resistance is not calibrated to any standard and does not in general mimic riding outside in terms of things like power required to hold a given speed on flat terrain or for riders of varying weight on a certain climbing grade. The Kurt Kinetic trainer attempts to emulate something close to a 168 pound rider on a 1% uphill grade with some assumptions about aerodynamics, rolling resistance and the like but even that won't replicate outdoor conditions on variable terrain or variable weather conditions or for riders of varying weight. Some trainers publish power vs. speed curves but even these curves vary from model to model and brand to brand.

Bottom line, use the trainer to provide resistance and choose a combination of mag settings and gear choices to get the training load you're after for a particular kind of workout. But there is no 'correct' setting or setting that will make your trainer speed vs. effort curves agree with outdoor riding on in general agree with other trainers.

-Dave

If you want to try and make some sense of the your power output, calories burned etc. try charting your HR against time spent on the trainer at the same resistance and gearing.
As stated, trainers vary.