Trainer skewers for normal use?

monkeymagic

Jul 23, 2007
Hi all,

I recently bought an indoor trainer to use on the insanely hot summer days in Oz. My question is, is it typically okay to use the skewer that comes with the trainer for normal road usage or do i need to change it every time with the one that is on my bike (from the shimano 105 set)??

Thanks in advance :)

monkeymagic said:
Hi all,

I recently bought an indoor trainer to use on the insanely hot summer days in Oz. My question is, is it typically okay to use the skewer that comes with the trainer for normal road usage or do i need to change it every time with the one that is on my bike (from the shimano 105 set)??

Thanks in advance :)
I do it all the time with no problems - lucky you with the heat it's below 0 here in Canada.
Bill.

BILLYHOLMES said:
I do it all the time with no problems - lucky you with the heat it's below 0 here in Canada.
Bill.
Well I'm in Melbourne, the weather can change from hot and fine to cold and showers within an hour... Stick with Canada! :D

I've been using my trainer skewer. I kind of wish i didn;t have to use it but i go on and off the trainer several times a week and don't want to swap. Its about as heavy as any average skewer so i just accept it.

I'm not sure that I understand your concern about a skewer. They are about the easiest thing to swap out on a bike. Three minutes tops and no tools required, what is easier or quicker than that?

I just leave the trainer skewer on all the time. The only downside is they are a tad heavier. Trainer skewers are generally overbuilt to withstand the side clamping force of the trainer.