Trainer Tire Vs Old Tires ?

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
Opinions seem mixed in cyberspace - better to use a trainer tire or just blow through old tires then discard?

Some say a trainer tire gives a smoother ride- true?

MotownBikeBoy said:
Opinions seem mixed in cyberspace - better to use a trainer tire or just blow through old tires then discard?

Some say a trainer tire gives a smoother ride- true?
FWIW. While I am inclined to simply use OLD tires which are no longer roadworthy, many recommend against it ...

The caveat is that they will disintegrate (not a problem, per se) ...

BUT, that means that you'll want to put something under the rear wheel because of the inevitable debris (think about what happens when you use a pencil erasure) ...

Also, there will probably also be a slight odor (i.e., "burning" rubber) from a regular tire which apparently won't be created with a "trainer" tire.

I have 8-10 "old" tires I saved as "emergency use" tires - I know this would burn them up etc / no problem there.

I saw one good suggestion online / use a spare wheel and keep your good wheel ready to go in case you ride outdoors - no tire change needed.

I always used old tires when I used that type of trainer. I generally had a steady supply of them. I just don't have any use for them anymore.

MotownBikeBoy said:
I have 8-10 "old" tires I saved as "emergency use" tires - I know this would burn them up etc / no problem there.

I saw one good suggestion online / use a spare wheel and keep your good wheel ready to go in case you ride outdoors - no tire change needed.
Right ...

Whenever possible, you should use a spare rear wheel when using a trainer ... if nothing else, to save wear-and-tear on your "good" wheel(s) ...

Also, if possible, use one of your lesser bikes to save wear-and-tear on the frame.

I use nothing but old tires on my Fluid 2 for the last 13 years and no problems, it's a waste of money to go by a special tire. HOWEVER, if you use an old tire you have to inspect the tire real closely and pick out any objects imbedded in the tire, then you have wash the tire with a scrub brush to make sure all the dirt is off. Any dirt or embedded objects can ruin a drum on a trainer.

The big problem with people thinking they have to use a special tire is the problem with regular tires shredding bits of tire everywhere and a trainer tire won't do that, and this is what you're reading on the internet as to why it's best to use a special trainer tire. But the issue isn't with the tire, the issue with tires shredding is the fact people don't have their trainer drum adjusted correctly against the tire! They put too much pressure against the tire and go off riding it only to see tire bits everywhere, so a couple of tire companies recognized that people were having this issue and they could make money selling a tire that wouldn't shred.