Trainer tyre wear

LT

Guest
Hi All,
I just recently bought a Mag Trainer second hand, and I've used it for a
couple of workouts, and I was wondering what the tyre wear is meant to be on
these. The reason I ask, is it looks like I've just about worn through an
almost new tyre in 5 workouts, and the amount of rubber left on the floor is
just ridiculous. As I said, I bought it second hand, and I didn't have the
instructions, but I didn't think there could much you could do wrong in the
set-up - am I wrong? Is this normal for most trainers? I don't know if I
like the idea of wearing through tyres quite this quickly!!
Thanks
Luis

I find it wears the tyres.

For this reason, I often use old crappy ones for the trainer. Or cheapie
tyres. If I have 'retired' a road tyre, I sometime can squeeze a few uses
out of it on the trainer (not a safety issue when you dont have corners or
other riders near you).

Paul

"LT" <luis_the at NOSPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All,
> I just recently bought a Mag Trainer second hand, and I've used it for a
> couple of workouts, and I was wondering what the tyre wear is meant to be

on
> these. The reason I ask, is it looks like I've just about worn through an
> almost new tyre in 5 workouts, and the amount of rubber left on the floor

is
> just ridiculous. As I said, I bought it second hand, and I didn't have

the
> instructions, but I didn't think there could much you could do wrong in

the
> set-up - am I wrong? Is this normal for most trainers? I don't know if I
> like the idea of wearing through tyres quite this quickly!!
> Thanks
> Luis

"LT" <luis_the at NOSPAM.yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hi All, I just recently bought a Mag Trainer second hand, and I've used it for a couple of workouts, and I was wondering what the tyre wear is meant to be on these.The reason I ask, is it looks like I've just about worn through an almost new tyre in 5 workouts, and the amount of rubber left on the floor is just ridiculous. As I said, I bought it second hand, and I didn't have the instructions, but I didn't think there could much you could do wrong in the set-up - am I wrong? Is this normal for most trainers? I don't know if I like the idea of wearing through tyres quite this quickly!!

Thanks
Luis
I am not that familiar with the mag trainer but if any trainer has been left for any peroid of time it can become "sticky" in any moving part.
If the bearings have been sitting for some time, they can get a "tight" spot, check they roll easily as very little extra drag increases wear considerably.
Secondly check how much weight is on the rollers as too much weight will kill a tyre at about the rate you describe.
Hope this helps.
Ro

"LT" <luis_the at NOSPAM.yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hi All,
>I just recently bought a Mag Trainer second hand, and I've used it for a
>couple of workouts, and I was wondering what the tyre wear is meant to be on
>these. The reason I ask, is it looks like I've just about worn through an
>almost new tyre in 5 workouts, and the amount of rubber left on the floor is
>just ridiculous. As I said, I bought it second hand, and I didn't have the
>instructions, but I didn't think there could much you could do wrong in the
>set-up - am I wrong? Is this normal for most trainers? I don't know if I
>like the idea of wearing through tyres quite this quickly!!
>Thanks
>Luis

Just had a mate read this post and he says to check and see if the mounting of the bike is level. It appears he had one that was worn on one side of the mounting screws and he shot through tyres like nothing.
Might be worth a look.(Something about not lining up square with the roller)
Cheers
Ro

> I just recently bought a Mag Trainer second hand, and I've used it for a
> couple of workouts, and I was wondering what the tyre wear is meant to be

on
> these. The reason I ask, is it looks like I've just about worn through an
> almost new tyre in 5 workouts, and the amount of rubber left on the floor

is
> just ridiculous. As I said, I bought it second hand, and I didn't have

the
> instructions, but I didn't think there could much you could do wrong in

the
> set-up - am I wrong? Is this normal for most trainers? I don't know if I
> like the idea of wearing through tyres quite this quickly!!
> Thanks
> Luis

I have used a Mag Trainer for a couple of winters now, and while I have tyre
wear I don't get anywhere near the amount of wear you describe. I wore out
one tyre last winter riding 1 1/2 - 2 hour sessions 4 times a week, and this
was a fairly worn tyre to begin with. This winter looks to be the same,
although the roller is starting to pit (get rough) and this I expect would
be causing more wear. Friends of mine bought a Mag Trainer recently and
suffered horrendous tyre wear in only one use (exactly the same tyre I use).
The only difference I can see is that they wound the roller so that it was
pressed very hard against the tyre, whereas I set mine so that the tyre is
only slightly deformed. Basically I wind in the roller so that it touches
the tyre, and then wind it in a bit more so that it squashes the tyre a
little bit. I also make sure the pressure in the tyre is about 100 (don't
know what pressure my friends use). The wheel may slip a bit when I begin,
but after a couple of minutes it warms up and stops slipping. After this it
will slip if I try to quickly accelerate, but because my roller training is
steady cadence stuff I don't find this an issue.
I don't have any proof of my theory, just know that this is what I do, and I
don't suffer very much tyre wear as a result.
Hope this helps.
BJ