trainer wearing tire?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by wnowak06, Sep 1, 2006.

1. wnowak06

wnowak06 New Member

after working out on my trainer, i noticed the tire loooked really slick and worn.....is this ok? is it actually getting worn down? or is the heat just melting it a little causing it to look so slick....i just want to make sure i'm not damaging/ weakening my tire by using it on the trainer......

any help is appreciated

Tags:

2. lennyk

lennyk New Member

yeah, the friction from the roller does wear the tire, especially if it is a softer compound.
    Continental makes a trainer specific tire, or you can use old tires.
    This is a good excuse to buy a new rear wheel or wheelset so you can just swap rear wheels when going on the trainer.
    Its good practice also, I can change my rear wheel in seconds now without getting my hands dirty.

3. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

The trainer will wear tires faster than the road, but I personally think the shiny look is a polishing effect due to wearing the tire surface against the ultra-smooth trainer roller. An outdoor ride will make it look 'normal' again.

4. capwater

capwater New Member

Go buy a Specialized Armadillo for your rear trainer tire. These suckers are vurtually indestructable and pretty reasonably priced. Great suggestion having a trainer specific wheel, also a good backup.