Trainers are easy on tyres

"Göran Thyberg" <[email protected]> wrote:

> http://medlem.spray.se/tuben7/galleries/030212/

That tyre has pretty much rubber to begin with.

I have a 23-622 Ritchey slick on my road bike, which I used for about 3200 kilometres in the rear,
riding on the street. It developed a fairly flat center section during those kilometres, but there
was still reasonably much rubber left, so I kept using the tyre on the trainer.

In the winter I've used the same tyre on the trainer for about 1500 more kilometres. I haven't
noticed any significant additional wear on the tyre, and it looks like it's good for at least
another winter on the trainer. I don't know what's up with this, as some people insist that trainers
eat tyres rapidly.

The tyre has developed a shiny, polished surface in the center where the tyre touches the metal
roller, and it's an old-fashioned black tyre with a carbon black rubber compound. Also, I always
pump it pretty hard (9 bar / 130 psi) and don't push the roller of the trainer against the tyre
any harder than is necessary. The tyre doesn't deform much, as I don't need that much friction
because I have a fairly fast, smooth pedaling style. This also helps keeping the noise and
vibration to a minimum.

-as

Mycket bra, G=F6ran. Men, 5 bar =3D 73.5 PSI, ja? Varf=F6r =E4r det inte 6 - 6.5 bar? Mera hoyt
skulle vara mera bra, ja?

Steve McDonald

"Steve McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Mycket bra, Göran. Men, 5 bar = 73.5 PSI, ja? Varför är det inte 6 - 6.5 bar? Mera hoyt skulle
vara mera bra, ja?

Steve McDonald

Hi Steve, nice swedish :)

The tyre is rated 5 bar, I suppose I could a little higher but haven't had any real reason to do so.

Göran

Det är väll inte ofta man råkar ut för svenska här. Förhoppningsvis blir det varm i sverige snart så
ni kan cycla...här i Utah, USA ver det 19 grader idag.

Hej på dej!!

[email protected] (Steve McDonald) wrote:

> Mycket bra, Göran. Men, 5 bar = 73.5 PSI, ja? Varför är det inte 6 - 6.5 bar? Mera hoyt skulle
> vara mera bra, ja?
>
>Steve McDonald

"Steve McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Det var 19 grader C in Utah i dag? Det var "bara" 17 grader C här i Oregon. En dag perfekt för
att åka cykel. I Sverige, kanske i dag var bra för att åka skidor? Finns det där ett cykel med
ett ski på framsiden?

I thought you guys were using Babel Fish there for a while, but your Swedish is much better than the
Fish would do. Today I took the winter tires off my hybrid and rode to work in a pleasant
temperature of +7 C. March 30 we will be bringing our roadbikes along for the clubrides. Spring is
getting nearer although not quite here yet. We just wish.

--
Perre

Replace the DOTs to reply

"Göran Thyberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> http://medlem.spray.se/tuben7/galleries/030212/
>
> Currently 2400km and it looks like I have much more than that left on the tyre.
>
> Regards Göran

I have been using a trainer for almost ten years now, riding anywhere from several hundred to two
thousand miles per year. So far I have worn out one tire and am starting on a second. But I have a
bike dedicated to the trainer so I can let my rear tire go farther that I would if I rode outdoors
on the same bike.

Tom

-- "Ultra-conservative thought" is an oxymoron --