Trainers/rollers

sparknote_s

Jun 13, 2004
I've got one road bike I use for training/racing. Is it ok to use that bike on the trainer? I'm just wondering if it would wear out tires or anything especially fast. I know some people have a cheap bike put together for the trainer, but if I don't have to I don't want to put another bike together...

Thanks.

sparknote_s said:
I've got one road bike I use for training/racing. Is it ok to use that bike on the trainer? I'm just wondering if it would wear out tires or anything especially fast. I know some people have a cheap bike put together for the trainer, but if I don't have to I don't want to put another bike together...

Thanks.

YOu do not have to buy a brand new bike to ride on your trainer. You can just use your current bike and just change the rear tire because it can get worn out and perhaps buy one of those sweat guard things so you don't get your salty sweat on the frame, which could damage the paint. plus, you probably want to train on the bike that you race on, just so you don't have to get used to training on a different bike.. but yeah, don't waste your money by buying a whole new bike just to put on your trainer

As previous replies have said, no problem using your race bike on the trainer. But trainers can eat up rear tires. If you have a spare set of wheels, put an old tire that you no longer trust for the road on it, and use that as a trainer wheel. If you ride both inside & outside during the winter, constantly swapping a tire on one wheel gets to be a drag! (The trainer doesn't put any extra wear on the wheel itself, so for example if you have a set of race wheels, you can use the race rear wheel as your trainer wheel, just use an old or cheap tire.)