Trainers

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by RapDaddyo, Jul 14, 2006.

1. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Obviously, yellow is not one of your team colors.;)

2. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

indeed it's not (or at least at present it isn't). not knocking yellow, it just would have been better to make them in a more neutral colour.

ric

3. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Isn't the SRM computer day-glow orange, or maybe I'm thinking of the Ergomo? It seems they all want they products to be noticed... :rolleyes:

4. park

park New Member

After the unit has warmed up, which usually takes about 20 minutes with some fairly good wattage, I calibrate the rolling resistance. I do this each time I use the unit. I also use that new trainer specific tire from Continental. I also make sure that the rolling resistance is close to 2.7. (I can't remember where I got that nugget, but using this rolling resistance with the CT is supposed to give you the most accurate watts readings.)
    Anyway, I realize that drift can still occur but I never notice a change. Man, I wish those intervals would get easier as they go. I just keep suffering more with each interval.

5. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I think Ric wants red/black IIRC.:D

6. Squint

Squint New Member

That's the Ergomo. It's also about 3 times the height of any other powermeter CPU and has a mount that places it so high on the bars that if you hit a bump, it could take out an eye.

I've seen a few people who have them on those multi-pivot computer mounts for winged carbon bars just to get them in front of and level with the handlebars.

I have both a black and red PCV so I can choose depending on my mood.

7. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Now, that's a plan.:D

8. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

That's correct :). But, black would be a good neutral colour for most bikes. Or maybe they could produce PTs (and other computers) in a range of colours. I can't be the only person who detests that yellow!

ric

9. shawndoggy

shawndoggy New Member

So what was the ultimate decision... does the 1up or the KK fit the bill, RDO?

10. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

The KK is a good choice. I don't have enough input on the 1up, so I can't really say one way or the other. The KK has a little drift, but if you warm it up pretty well (>=5mins) before you start an effort it seems to be pretty stable based on several ride files I have looked at.

11. wiredued

wiredued New Member

Aren't you spliting hairs with this drift issue I don't warm up more than a minute on the KK and got 13 watts improvement in FTP in one month on your plan. That's way better than HRM based training drift or no drift.

12. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

LOL. It's really just in the interest of full disclosure (even though I don't make or sell the trainer and have no financial stake in it). For those without a PM, I unequivocally advocate using a trainer for workouts (year-round) and, at least as important, for periodic performance benchmarks. I think it is much, much more reliable than any other non-PM method I know of. But, this approach hinges on a consistent power/speed relationship and the specific attributes of the trainer that determine the accuracy of this approach are: (1) power/speed repeatability from ride to ride and (2) power/speed drift. So, I think people should be aware that there is still a slight drift with the KK (e.g., 5W) even after a short warmup. But, you're right, when compared with almost any other non-PM approach, it is infinitely better.

BTW, congrats on your FTP improvement.:D

13. wiredued

wiredued New Member

You know I almost got the KK wind trainer but their site said it wasn't recommended if you plan on training at 18mph or above with no explaination why. I imagined it was one of two reasons either the thing would explode or it would sound like an F18 landing in my basement so I ordered the fluid.

14. wiredued

wiredued New Member

Oh disclosure like "your mileage may vary" I just thought you were being neurotic...did I mention I improved 13 watts in a month.:) Those club riders won't be kicking sand in my face next year (or what ever they do).

15. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

FWIW, you may be interested to know that I am starting a new cycling club for serious cyclists and racers in my town. I intend to negotiate two major equipment purchase deals for our members. One is with Saris for PTs. The other is with KK for their Road Machine trainer. We're also going to do quarterly FTP tests (based on 20min trainer rides -- AP*.95) and W/KG (obviously interrelated). We will publish the results to the members. I'm hoping it will create a little friendly competition among our members for "FTP and W/KG bragging rights." I guess I better get off my a** and get my numbers up before the first test.:D

16. wiredued

wiredued New Member

I wish you well ...striveth for the mastery...

17. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I presented my plan to the first meeting of my new club. There was only one question: How quickly can we get them? It was unbelievable! The word is getting out.