Trainers?

orive002

Nov 15, 2007
I don't really know anything about trainers so I'm looking for suggestions.
I'm looking to ride anywhere from 30-90 minutes a day.

I just called my local bike shop and they have the Cycleops. He has the wind trainer and fluid for 150 and 300 respectively.

Theres a few more shops I plan on calling tomorrow. So any advice is appreciated.

If you are going to use a trainer and bike for 30 to 90 minutes a day, make sure you get the cheapest and most durable tires you can get. Because you are stationary, your tires will burn out a lot faster than if you were riding on a road. Personally, I have an old Giant wind trainer....does the job.

orive002 said:
I don't really know anything about trainers so I'm looking for suggestions.
I'm looking to ride anywhere from 30-90 minutes a day.

I just called my local bike shop and they have the Cycleops. He has the wind trainer and fluid for 150 and 300 respectively.

Theres a few more shops I plan on calling tomorrow. So any advice is appreciated.

90 minutes a day on a trainer? Man, you need some urgent psychiatric intervention! ;)

First, you'll likely want a fluid trainer, instead of a wind trainer. There's a significant noise level reduction with fluid over wind trainers. That's important, especially as you'll need some music, video, or summat to keep from having a psychotic break while on the trainer for 90 minutes. Of all the stationary trainers, I think the Rock & Roll by Kinetic by Kurt is the best option, as it would at least quasi simulate bike movement on the road better. Kinetic by Kurt has a great rep for quality chit.

Of course, rollers provide the best simulation, and they sharpen your bike handling skills. However, rollers ain't everyone's cuppa.

As Alienator says, if you can do 90 minutes on a trainer regularly you are either a superhuman or braindead. Think 30~60 minutes of very structured training to keep you going.

And consider investing in a fluid trainer, a couple of towels, a fan, and your favorite mp3 player. Oh, you can purchase trainer specific tires that will last a heck of a lot longer than any old clincher and will (usually) make less noise and not slip as much.

Enjoy, if you can. And for the record, I do use a trainer 4~5 times a week during the winter, for about 45 minutes a session. And it is useful, but it really, really sucks.

Ditto on the fluid trainer, fan, towels, music, water, etc.

I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine - very good imo. I was on it 4 times a week in the winter (plus a once a week spinning class). It did make a difference, but I can't stand even looking at the damn thing now the weather is nice.

orive002 said:
How bad is the sound on the Cicyleops Wind trainer?
Have you ever been one deck below an F-14 winding up for a take-off? It's a little quieter but not by much.