Trainers

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jim, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I know it's late in the season, but I've been thinking an indoor trainer would cure my bug to get
    out and ride. Any suggestions as to what to or not to look for? I've heard good things about the
    Cycleops Fluid and the 1 UpUSA CPR. I'm a new mtb'r that hasn't yet built up the stamina but am
    anxious to do so. Thx, Jim

    Tags:

  2. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    Jim wrote:

    > I know it's late in the season, but I've been thinking an indoor trainer would cure my bug to get
    > out and ride. Any suggestions as to what to or not to look for? I've heard good things about the
    > Cycleops Fluid and the 1 UpUSA CPR. I'm a new mtb'r that hasn't yet built up the stamina but am
    > anxious to do so. Thx, Jim

    Spinner. If you're not familiar, they have a heavy flywheel (I think mine is 38 lbs) and direct
    drive from pedals to wheel-no coasting. To me it feels more like real riding than putting a bike on
    a mag or wind trainer, or rollers. Spinners are pricier, but cheaper than a couple years dues at a
    club (worked for me YMMV). Oh yeah, a good pair of headphones filled with head banging music.

    Cheers, Shawn

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  4. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > I know it's late in the season, but I've been thinking an indoor trainer would cure my bug to get
    > out and ride. Any suggestions as to what to or not to look for? I've heard good things about the
    > Cycleops Fluid and the 1 UpUSA CPR. I'm a new mtb'r that hasn't yet built up the stamina but am
    > anxious to do so. Thx, Jim

    The latest issue of Bicycling mag. had an article on a handful of trainers.

    -Zilla

  5. bomba wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:20:37 -0500, Jim wrote:
    >
    >> I know it's late in the season, but I've been thinking an indoor trainer would cure my bug to get
    >> out and ride. Any suggestions as to what to or not to look for?
    >
    > Pretty face, good figure, oh, and probably some relevant qualifications :)
    >
    > On a more serious note: http://www.concept2.com

    Actually that is a nice complement in the off season. I do at least one rowing session a week
    throughout winter. Great for the aerobic performance.
    --
    Perre

  6. Scott G

    Scott G Guest

    > I know it's late in the season, but I've been thinking an indoor trainer would cure my bug to get
    > out and ride. Any suggestions as to what to or
    not
    > to look for? I've heard good things about the Cycleops Fluid and the 1 UpUSA CPR. I'm a new mtb'r
    > that hasn't yet built up the stamina but am anxious to do so. Thx, Jim

    I've only owned one...a Cycleops Fluid. I like it.

    I bought it on eBay after after I broke my wrist in Nov. When I purchased it I told myself I would
    keep it while I was in a cast and sell it on eBay afterward. Well, I've been out of the cast for
    weeks but I have no intention of selling it now. It's nice to have around when riding outdoors is
    not an option.

    Also, you don't have one already, get a cheap slick tire to go with it....the knobby tires make a
    lot of noise.

  7. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Well, I bought a Cycleops Magneto and took it back after an hour of use. It felt very inconsistant
    as far as resistance goes. I paid the extrat $70 and came back with the Cycleops Fluid and am very
    happy with it. Thanks for the tips.

    news.ops.worldnet.att.net...