Trainers

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim

I know it's late in the season, but I've been thinking an indoor trainer would cure my bug to get
out and ride. Any suggestions as to what to or not to look for? I've heard good things about the
Cycleops Fluid and the 1 UpUSA CPR. I'm a new mtb'r that hasn't yet built up the stamina but am
anxious to do so. Thx, Jim

Jim wrote:

> I know it's late in the season, but I've been thinking an indoor trainer would cure my bug to get
> out and ride. Any suggestions as to what to or not to look for? I've heard good things about the
> Cycleops Fluid and the 1 UpUSA CPR. I'm a new mtb'r that hasn't yet built up the stamina but am
> anxious to do so. Thx, Jim
>
>
Spinner. If you're not familiar, they have a heavy flywheel (I think mine is 38 lbs) and direct
drive from pedals to wheel-no coasting. To me it feels more like real riding than putting a bike on
a mag or wind trainer, or rollers. Spinners are pricier, but cheaper than a couple years dues at a
club (worked for me YMMV). Oh yeah, a good pair of headphones filled with head banging music.

Cheers, Shawn

Jim wrote:
> I know it's late in the season, but I've been thinking an indoor trainer would cure my bug to get
> out and ride. Any suggestions as to what to or not to look for? I've heard good things about the
> Cycleops Fluid and the 1 UpUSA CPR. I'm a new mtb'r that hasn't yet built up the stamina but am
> anxious to do so. Thx, Jim
>
>

The latest issue of Bicycling mag. had an article on a handful of trainers.

-Zilla

bomba wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:20:37 -0500, Jim wrote:
>
>> I know it's late in the season, but I've been thinking an indoor trainer would cure my bug to get
>> out and ride. Any suggestions as to what to or not to look for?
>
> Pretty face, good figure, oh, and probably some relevant qualifications :)
>
> On a more serious note: http://www.concept2.com

Actually that is a nice complement in the off season. I do at least one rowing session a week
throughout winter. Great for the aerobic performance.
--
Perre

You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

> out and ride. Any suggestions as to what to or
not
> to look for? I've heard good things about the Cycleops Fluid and the 1 UpUSA CPR. I'm a new mtb'r
> that hasn't yet built up the stamina but am anxious to do so. Thx, Jim

I've only owned one...a Cycleops Fluid. I like it.

I bought it on eBay after after I broke my wrist in Nov. When I purchased it I told myself I would
keep it while I was in a cast and sell it on eBay afterward. Well, I've been out of the cast for
weeks but I have no intention of selling it now. It's nice to have around when riding outdoors is
not an option.

Also, you don't have one already, get a cheap slick tire to go with it....the knobby tires make a
lot of noise.

S

Well, I bought a Cycleops Magneto and took it back after an hour of use. It felt very inconsistant
as far as resistance goes. I paid the extrat $70 and came back with the Cycleops Fluid and am very
happy with it. Thanks for the tips.

"Scott G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2G5Vb.193614$6y6.3737951@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > I know it's late in the season, but I've been thinking an indoor trainer would cure my bug to
> > get out and ride. Any suggestions as to what to or
> not
> > to look for? I've heard good things about the Cycleops Fluid and the 1 UpUSA CPR. I'm a new
> > mtb'r that hasn't yet built up the stamina but am anxious to do so. Thx, Jim
>
> I've only owned one...a Cycleops Fluid. I like it.
>
> I bought it on eBay after after I broke my wrist in Nov. When I purchased it I told myself I would
> keep it while I was in a cast and sell it on eBay afterward. Well, I've been out of the cast for
> weeks but I have no intention of selling it now. It's nice to have around when riding
outdoors
> is not an option.
>
> Also, you don't have one already, get a cheap slick tire to go with it....the knobby tires make a
> lot of noise.
>
> S

Status
Not open for further replies.