Training 100 miles & hills

MattiusH

Aug 1, 2011
Hi all,

Late last year I completed a 115 mile ride for a physical and mental challenge. I managed to complete the ride without preparation but suffered with cramps and the inability to walk straight the next day.

Since then I have become hooked on riding and recently completed a 65 mile ride. I'm due for another 100 mile ride in a months time but not entirely sure on the best approach to training.

Would riding three times a week, increasing the distance each time work? Or short rides with sprints inbetween? I'm looking at putting a training plan together but not entirely sure where to begin.

If anyone can provide some assistance on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Matthew.

Originally Posted by MattiusH ....Would riding three times a week, increasing the distance each time work?...
Yes, but if you can make that at least 4 days per week so you're training on more days than you're resting.

...Or short rides with sprints inbetween? ...
That's not likely to get you where you want to be for the hundred mile ride. Increasing the intensity is great, but focus on 'steady hard' and roll faster on the open stretches of road and longer steady climbs not short bursts and sprints. Ideally find continuous sections of road and longer moderate climbs that take you at least 10 and preferably 20 or more minutes to complete and ride them with focus and effort but don't just sprint and rest. You don't need to ride hard like this every time you get on the bike but if you push yourself with steady sustained efforts that require concentration and get you breathing deeply and steadily (but not ragged and gasping) a couple of times a week your fitness will improve.

So basically:

- Ride frequently each week without too many rest days
- Push yourself to ride further on some of those rides, you don't need to train the full hundred but work up to 70 or more if you can
- Take some of those rides easier just to enjoy being on the bike and to let your body recover a bit
- Push some of those rides harder but do so in sustained 'steady hard' sections, not all out sprints or minute long make ya puke intervals

Recover well between rides, feed yourself well and your body will adapt to riding further, faster and with fewer adverse after effects like overly sore legs the day after your big ride.

Good luck,
-Dave

Hi Dave, Thanks for the great feedback. I've been winging things so far and would really like to begin some constructive training. Yet again, cheers!

Originally Posted by MattiusH .

Hi all,

Late last year I completed a 115 mile ride for a physical and mental challenge. I managed to complete the ride without preparation but suffered with cramps and the inability to walk straight the next day.

Since then I have become hooked on riding and recently completed a 65 mile ride. I'm due for another 100 mile ride in a months time but not entirely sure on the best approach to training.

Would riding three times a week, increasing the distance each time work? Or short rides with sprints inbetween? I'm looking at putting a training plan together but not entirely sure where to begin.

If anyone can provide some assistance on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Matthew.
I think you should determine why you had cramps and had difficulty walking last year. And solve that problem.

If your 65 mile ride went well, you should be set for this year. Just take your event easy and enjoy yourself.

I am riding 55 miles a day. As soon as it cools off I will kick my mileage up to 67 miles a day. I only say that because I think you will enjoy your event more if you are used to riding longer distances and are not worried about survival. Ride every other day 50 miles - more if you feel like it, and you may be ready for your event. No need to push yourself on your rides. The normal variation in weather and terrain will cause you to work hard enough. (And on your 100 mile ride you really don't want to work hard much.)

Thanks again.

The initial ride was a challenge I set for myself without being regular cyclist. After that event I became hooked and love riding. I think the problem i'm having with cramps is 1) not regular enough dedicated training and my muscles aren't familiar with steep hills. 2) my fluid and food intake wasn't fantastic, especially on the electrolyte side of things as headaches crept in also.

The 65 mile ride was fine with a cramp towards the end. I want to get to a standard where I feel reasonably comfy with hills and can maintain a steady pace throughout the distance.

Yet again, really appreciate all the feedback!

Cramps are usually the result of fluid loss during exertion.

On the one hand you need to get you muscles attuned to working harder for longer but on the other hand you will lose fluid doing so.

Therefore you need to try to take on as much fluid as you possibly can. I tend to sweat a hell of a lot during physical exercise and if I'm doing a long touring ride (+100 miles), I pack a product called
Dioralyte.
Because I sweat so much, this stuff mixed with water helps rehydrate me rapidly and replaces lost salts etc.

I make sure to drink water every 30 mins on the bike - even if I don't feel thirsty, I drink.

Originally Posted by limerickman .

Cramps are usually the result of fluid loss during exertion.

-------

Because I sweat so much, this stuff mixed with water helps rehydrate me rapidly and replaces lost salts etc.
I know that both of those points are widely accepted, but in one of the French bike mags, they recently had an article analyzing existing research, and both of those were debunked. For example, sweat is mainly fluid, and is proportionally lower in salts etc. One study after exercise showed that in participants with cramps, their salts/electrolytes to fluid ratio was actually higher after an event, due to fluid loss but a proportionally lower salt/electrolyte loss.

The conclusion of most of this research seems to be that cramps are basically the result of overdoing it, and of pushing muscles when they're not ready for it or prepared. The only real solution: more training and more focused training.

If anyone's interested, will try and dig out relevant info and references.

bing181 said:
I know that both of those points are widely accepted, but in one of the French bike mags, they recently had an article analyzing existing research, and both of those were debunked. For example, sweat is mainly fluid, and is proportionally lower in salts etc. One study after exercise showed that in participants with cramps, their salts/electrolytes to fluid ratio was actually higher after an event, due to fluid loss but a proportionally lower salt/electrolyte loss.

The conclusion of most of this research seems to be that cramps are basically the result of overdoing it, and of pushing muscles when they're not ready for it or prepared. The only real solution: more training and more focused training.

If anyone's interested, will try and dig out relevant info and references.

Although i'm rather sceptical I'd like to see that article.

Originally Posted by bing181 .

That has been my view for a long time.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Although i'm rather sceptical I'd like to see that article.

Top Velo, (in French), August 2011, no. 173. Article by Guy Thibault Ph.D.

I've sniffed around the net a bit, and there is at least one similar article which seems to refer to the same study or studies:

http://www.twc.bc.ca/storage/Muscle%20Cramps%20in%20Athletes.pdf

"This month a study from the University of Cape Town, South Africa showed that the athlete who is most likely to suffer muscle cramps is the one who runs the fastest and the one who has had previous muscle cramps (British Journal of Sports Medicine, June 2011). Of 210 triathletes competing in an Ironman triathlon, 43 developed severe muscle cramps, while 166 did not.
There were no significant differences between groups in any pre-race or post-race blood mineral levels or body weight changes (a measure of dehydration).
This supports many other studies that show that the most likely cause of muscle cramps in conditioned athletes is muscle damage. The most likely causes of muscle cramps in out-of-shape exercisers are lack of salt or water (1)."

Original BJSM article would appear to be this one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21402566. There are a number of other articles referring to it and to ongoing work in this area by Martin Schwellnus, for example:

http://www.fitnessforhealth.biz/muscle-cramps-in-athletes-and-exercisers.html

And if you want to jump into the debate:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=3185820

FWIW, I have no opinion or expertise in this, just passing on the info. On the other hand, having had cramps last weekend for the first time ever on a bike while doing some strenuous hill repeats on the tail end of a pretty hard 100 km ride (during which I was supposedly well-hydrated and electrolyted ...) I'm more inclined to go with it than not. I might try some longer water-only rides to see what happens.

Someone mentioned this on the Slowtwitch. I have found these articles useful when I was constantly cramping a couple years ago. At that time I was riding with a group over my level and was cramping from riding for extended periods over my level. Everyone was saying I need more electrolytes and water, but no matter how much I used it did not help until I started training better and started to catch up with those in my group. Cramping is less of an issue now and probably will be until I ride with a decent Cat-4 or higher level. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

http://www.sportsscientists.com/search/label/electrolytes

Hi All,

Thanks for the great feedback. I'll aim to absorb as much water and salts as possible, as I tend to get headaches half way through probably due to the low fluid intake. The 100 miles is in two weeks with the southern sportive a week later. My legs aren't ready. I'm going to attempt to crunch in as much training this week as possible.

Yet again, thanks for all the feedback! :)