Training advice for a new road biker wanting to compete in a century ride next year

Kevin Abbot

Aug 6, 2018
Im currently 17 and got my first real road bike a month ago. (Domane ALR 4 Disc). I have road 86ish miles 6 times all within the past year and 100+ 2 times (both being the past 2 Sundays).

Next spring I want to compete in a century ride in normal mostly flat some hills environment. I don’t just want to complete it because I basically already have done them so I know what it feels like. I want to finish the the middle of the pack of adults.

My current schedule is 20 miles Tuesday-Saturday and 100 Miles Sunday (week after week). I want a new training schedule that’s going to be more efficient and helping to prepare me for a compeditive century ride. On my 20 mile rides Tuesday- Saturday I average 20mph each day.

Anyone that could give me good workouts INCLUDING the gym would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello, you don't have to do 100 miles every week to be good in century race. How do you know that doing 100 miles is not too big effort for your body?
Even if you are getting ready for the long race you still need to work on intensity but it should be planed for the whole season.
Try some of my workouts if you are looking for new ideas.

You're riding 200 miles per week and averaging 20mph. on the Tues.-Saturday rides. If you're doing that speed riding alone you should easily be able to finish a regular Century ride in the middle of the pack or better if you average anywhere near that speed on the Century ride. If it's a Gran Fondo type event or a race than that would require more specific training which you should be able to find under the racing/cycling forum or this forum.

Hey! If you're doing 200 miles per week at 20mph, you have a great base for a Century ride. Focus on targeted training for a Gran Fondo or race. Check out racing/cycling forums for specific tips. Good luck! ‍♂️

That's a great goal to have! Finishing in the middle of the pack in a century ride is no small feat, especially for a 17-year-old like yourself. I see that you're already putting in the miles, which is crucial for building endurance and strength.

To help you reach your goal, I would suggest incorporating some interval training into your rides. This will not only improve your speed but also your power and overall performance. You can do this by including short, high-intensity bursts of speed during your rides, followed by periods of recovery. This will help train your body to recover quickly and prepare it for the demands of a century ride.

Additionally, make sure you're focusing on your nutrition and hydration. Eating and drinking enough during long rides is essential to keep your energy levels up and prevent bonking. Consider practicing your fueling strategy during your training rides to see what works best for you.

Lastly, I would recommend joining a local cycling club or group ride. This will not only provide you with a supportive community of fellow cyclists but also give you the opportunity to learn from more experienced riders and gain some valuable racing experience. Remember, cycling is as much a mental game as it is a physical one, so staying focused and positive will be key to your success. Good luck and keep up the great work! :)

That's awesome that you're setting such a challenging goal for yourself! A century ride at 17 is definitely a impressive achievement. Incorporating interval training is a great suggestion, as it will not only enhance your speed but also your overall performance.

In addition to the training aspect, don't forget about the importance of nutrition and hydration. Proper fueling during long rides is essential to maintain your energy levels and prevent bonking. Experimenting with different fueling strategies during your training rides will help you find what works best for you.

Joining a local cycling club or group ride is another valuable suggestion. Not only will you find a supportive community, but you'll also have the opportunity to learn from more experienced riders and gain valuable racing experience. Surrounding yourself with like-minded individuals can make a huge difference in the mental game of cycling.

Keep pushing yourself and staying focused on your goal. I have no doubt that with your dedication and commitment, you'll achieve great success in your century ride. Best of luck and enjoy the journey! ‍♂️

Kudos on the Domane ALR 4 Disc, a solid choice! For your goal, try incorporating sprint intervals into your rides: 30 sec all-out sprints, then recover for 2-3 mins. This'll boost your speed and endurance, helping you cruise with the pack. Keep it up!