Training Advice for athlete with weak legs

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by dfsbwc, Jan 18, 2007.

1. dfsbwc

dfsbwc New Member

I have been searching the forums and can't seem to find an answer to my question.

I come from a running background, I have fairly recently run a 4:05 road mile. I'm trying to make the switch to duathlons.

My max HR running is 197 with HR at LT being 185.
    Biking my mx HR is 188, with LT HR being about 175.

I have been doing 2x20 at various percentages of my FTP.

When I am at the lower levels of L4, my HR is only about 150. But my legs get very tired. My HR only gets up into the LT range when I push the 2x20 to about 100% of FTP.

When I'm going L3 power the HR is only 140 but my legs still get very tired.

It seems to me that my limiter is leg "strength" or "muscular endurance".

The $64,000 question is. What is the best way for me to improve? I don't think it's fitness. I've been running 100+ miles per week for years. But I can't seam to push a big gear.

Any advice is appreciated.

Tags:

2. Jim R

Jim R New Member

Let me add a followup question since I seem to be in a similiar situation. My current FTP is only about 240 depite riding about 3000 miles last year (but without a structured power training program).

How much improvement in FTP is possible (or commonly seen) with an appropriate power training program (for example in the first year). I would like to know how much other people have improved.

3. benkoostra

benkoostra New Member

You run a 4 minute mile? Good god, that's fast.

The easy answer is that you need to ride a lot more. 100 miles of running won't really help much with the specific requirements of cycling, although your fitness is already amazing. Right now you have runners legs and a runners physiology, and that will not directly translate to the bike without conditioning.

Talk to a tri coach about making the transition and training for both sports.

4. rmur17

rmur17 New Member

What cadence are you employing? I've seen runners here try cycling and say they can't get a good workout as their HR is too low. That aside, I often see them grinding along at 60-70 rpm on the flats!

How long have you been cycling for that matter? Still running and working thru residual fatigue? There are lots of possible reasons. And HR is pretty much irrelevant once you have a PM.

Search for posts here regarding a certain Chris Boardman & leg strength. He could push some 440W for an hour despite what I recall as quite low leg strength. It's highly unlikely to be a limiter.

5. dfsbwc

dfsbwc New Member

My cadence is around 88-94.

I have done some cycling in the past. But I have just started again a couple of months ago. I'm currrently riding 5 days per week, with 2 L4 workouts, the other are L3.

I am still running, but have cut the volume in half.

My 1 minute power is just under 400 watts, which using Andy Coggans power chart is only at the upper range of untrained based on my weight of 132 lbs. My 20 minute power is 240 watts by the way.

Thanks for the input.

6. benkoostra

benkoostra New Member

Yeah, I wouldn't be woprried. Once you train hard for 6 or 8 months you'll be flying by people.

7. kmavm

kmavm New Member

Just ride. If you've run a 4:05 mile, you'll be eating people alive by year's end. My god in heaven, you're fast.

8. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

Not quite back to the old value of weight training for cycling ideas but...I find that doing lower leg weights helps me - I don't have strong leg muscles so need all the help I can get:eek:
    I do(but not regularly enough...) seated calf raisers, calf raisers, and two types of dumbbell squats - they really get my heart going and I can feel it(sore) the next day.
    When I get into them consistently - even for two weeks I feel stronger on my bike.
    Riding much more will help but may be you need to look at doing leg weights too:)

9. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Believe you're experience is typical of runners moving to cycling. You've got a strong central cardio motor, but the legs are developed for running, not cycling.

Agree with kmavm. Just ride; no need to push too hard now. Give your body time to develop the cycling-specific muscles and adapt your elite c-v system. In 4-6 months and a few thousand miles, you'll be taking no prisoners.

10. dfsbwc

dfsbwc New Member

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm just in too much of a hurry and need to give it time to develop the cycling muscles.