Training advice for time trial

allenpg

Jul 6, 2004
I've got my first time trial in 3 weeks (10 miles) and am wondering how much time percentage wise I should spend training in the aero position vs my standard riding position. I'm mainly just worried about getting my legs used to the aero position (I'm using clip-on bars and have a separate saddle/seatpost to swap out so it's not too hard to change by bike around to alternate training positions).

Thanks for the help!
-Pete

P.S. I'm currently averaging about 150 miles per week at a mix of endurance/tempo/LT pace (I haven't started VO2 intervals yet, as I'm mostly in base after starting in January).

allenpg said:
I've got my first time trial in 3 weeks (10 miles) and am wondering how much time percentage wise I should spend training in the aero position vs my standard riding position. I'm mainly just worried about getting my legs used to the aero position (I'm using clip-on bars and have a separate saddle/seatpost to swap out so it's not too hard to change by bike around to alternate training positions).

Thanks for the help!
-Pete

P.S. I'm currently averaging about 150 miles per week at a mix of endurance/tempo/LT pace (I haven't started VO2 intervals yet, as I'm mostly in base after starting in January).

It depends. I usually suggest a minimum of say 90-mins/week all year round at or around TT intensity to stay adapted to position. I'm not sure what you mean by "base" (as it may mean different things to different folks), but i always suggest some intensity work all year round (except in a couple of specific situations).

ric