Training after a Fever

numminummi

Oct 12, 2010
How long should one take off after a fever? -or is it even possible just to train trough without harm?

I'll train sick if there's no fever and it's 'above the neck'. IOW, no training for elevated temps or sore throat/chest infections. Just went through that a couple of weeks ago with a fever and flu that cost me a few days. I didn't ride till the fever broke and then I started back with some easy riding working back to Tempo for about a week before trying anything more serious.

-Dave

I have ridden easy with a low grade fever and even did some moderate training with a fever when my teammates needed me for a TTT practice. I ended up with a head cold, and was forced into a low volume week or so where I was mostly focused on getting well. This ended up being an unplanned taper leading to my best peak of the season!!! My first weekend back racing after being sick, I had my only win of the season.

So, listen to your body, if you are sick and need time off, take it, or just ride easy. Don't be afraid that it will derail your training altogether, because sometimes the body just needs a little break to come into form.

Reactions: numminummi
If you have a cough, don't ride. I made that mistake last year. I went out about 2 miles, had to turn around and by the time I was home, I ended up hacking for two hours straight. I think I ended up taking 10 days or so off after that to make sure my lungs were clear.

Jason

We are all so different in a lot of ways but I think ridding and our health can be affected adversely by pushing at the wrong times. For instance, at this time in the Arizona desert the citrus are in full bloom and boy do I know it. Todays ride performance was very much affected by it. If one changes there eating habits a change can be noted too.

I think after having a fever, before taking a long ride I would "feel it out" so to speak. Go around the block a few times and see how it goes. At any rate I think I would not try for a century right off. Good luck.