Training and music

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Burak Ilter, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. Tom Phillips

    Tom Phillips Guest

    > jogger wrote:
    > > > There was also the Epicurean "Eat, drink, for tomorrow we
    > > > die."

    > > If you truly believe (and I actually think you just enjoy b.s'ing about
    > > this stuff the way I also do)

    Actually everything I mentioned about the greeks is
    historical fact. They did not have a one dimensional
    society, philosophically or otherwise. We may
    romanticize Alexander; in reality he was a violent,
    murderous drunkard...

    We've just been brainwashed to think of the Greek
    culture representing the "pure" ideals of western
    civilization. Yes and no.

  2. jogger

    jogger Guest

    Tom Phillips wrote:

    > Again, I never said listening to music was right or wrong.

    I don't have time to write a long reply, but I wanted to make sure you
    know that I wasn't really thinking of you when I brought up the "right
    or wrong" issue :)

    -J

  3. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    "Tom Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > All I know is I lived the 60's. Running just doesn't
    > produce the same sort of "highs." :)

    I can't say I ever experienced a running high whatever that is. I have
    had some great runs where I have zoned out for hours. High, nah, in good
    shape such that I'm enjoying the inner me or the birds and trees, yup!

    > If it did I probably
    > would have joined the track team in '68. But as it was
    > I never had a jock come up to me and say "why don't ya
    > try running instead, pot head?"

    I was also in the 60's but did play sports with some recreational weed
    on the weekend. How many boxes of Cheerios can you eat at one
    sitting?Rhetorical. ;) Fact, I did hate to run.

    > I didn't say I was for or against it. I just said I
    > didn't and those headsets would drive me nuts.

    I love my music(books on tape also) and I love my running but in their
    respective spaces.

    -Doug

  4. > I have
    >had some great runs where I have zoned out for hours.

    It's the same with his posts, so it must be true.

  5. >> I think people shouldn't run while
    >> listening to music because running is just a distraction from the
    >> natural state of music listening!

    >I know you intend this partly in jest, but it does not contradict the
    >idea that you shouldn't distract yourself with music while running.

    Yeah...I guess headphones could prevent someone from hearing a car coming
    behind them.

    The idea
    >of mindfullness in buddhist philosophy basically involves doing one thing at
    >a time, focusing on the here-and-now, and not being distracted. Eating is
    >OK, listening to music is OK, running is OK, having a phone conversation is
    >also just fine -- but attempting to do all of these things at the same time
    >is not recommended!
    >
    >Cheers,
    >--
    >Donovan Rebbechi
    >http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  6. Try "Music for Airports,"
    By Brian Eno.
    Good lift off...
    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  7. Tom Phillips

    Tom Phillips Guest

    Doug Freese wrote:

    > "Tom Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > All I know is I lived the 60's. Running just doesn't
    > > produce the same sort of "highs." :)

    > I can't say I ever experienced a running high whatever that is. I have
    > had some great runs where I have zoned out for hours. High, nah, in good
    > shape such that I'm enjoying the inner me or the birds and trees, yup!
    >
    > > If it did I probably
    > > would have joined the track team in '68. But as it was
    > > I never had a jock come up to me and say "why don't ya
    > > try running instead, pot head?"

    > I was also in the 60's but did play sports with some recreational weed
    > on the weekend.

    I figured you for a recreationsist :)

    >How many boxes of Cheerios can you eat at one
    > sitting?Rhetorical. ;)

    Loaves of hot steaming french bread...

    >Fact, I did hate to run.

    In cow country being fast runner was a necessity.
    Whether you liked it or not was irrelevant if you
    wanated to keep your hair.

    > > I didn't say I was for or against it. I just said I
    > > didn't and those headsets would drive me nuts.

    > I love my music(books on tape also) and I love my running but in their
    > respective spaces.

    Correction: loaves of french bread while listening
    over and over to Sgt. Pepper...

  8. Phillips

    Phillips New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2013
    One of the best songs for me to workout to is Goldfrapp - White Horse I love both the rhythm and the lyrics. Also there are such sings as David Guetta - The World Is Mine, Rune RK - Teacup and house music in general.

  9. Morion

    Morion New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2014
    One of the songs that really gets me going nowadays is ‘Brother Ali’ with – ‘Not A Day Goes By’. Really good beat and the lyrics are actually uplifting as well. Especially if I find that I need a boost when I first get started or if I really feel like my energy is low, that is my song. I could not run or walk without music anymore

  10. Mored1966

    Mored1966 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2014
    I find it interesting that you feel as though running with music is somehow a ‘purer’ experience for you. I feel the exact opposite so I rather like to know what makes you feel that way. I feel as though being one with the music helps move me forward even more.