Training and Racing with Power meter book

Bob Edberry

Feb 8, 2006
Hi-
I am new to the forum and have just ordered the book by Allen and Coggan on velogear.com . Has anyone gotten this book yet? What do you think? I am new to power training and this book was recommended to me. Is this the only book out there on Training with Power?
Thanks for any help.
Bob

Bob Edberry said:
Hi-
I am new to the forum and have just ordered the book by Allen and Coggan on velogear.com . Has anyone gotten this book yet? What do you think? I am new to power training and this book was recommended to me. Is this the only book out there on Training with Power?
Thanks for any help.
Bob

AFAIK it is the only book on the topic. As for what I think of it, I'm a bit too close to tell. :D

Bob Edberry said:
Hi-
Thanks for any help.
Bob
the book will not be out until may, thats what my amazon order told me??? how did you get a copy already?

Bob Edberry said:
Hi-
Thanks for any help.
Bob
the book will not be out until may, thats what my amazon order told me??? how did you get a copy already?

Old Junker said:

That's odd, since the books were all printed last month. Anyway, you can n order it straight from the publisher:

http://www.velopress.com/cycling.php?id=213

Yeah, it'll cost you a bit more than buying it from Amazon, but you won't be waiting four more months to get it.

(Disclaimer: as one of the coauthors, I get $0.22 for every copy sold at list price...which is why I've been giving away my 50 copies.)

Old Junker said:
I ordered mine from Amazon last month and was told it shipped yesterday (2/7)

TMD said:
Got mine yesterday from Velo.
Now leave me alone. I've got to get back to reading it.:)

acoggan said:
That's odd, since the books were all printed last month. Anyway, you can n order it straight from the publisher:

Yeah, it'll cost you a bit more than buying it from Amazon, but you won't be waiting four more months to get it.

(Disclaimer: as one of the coauthors, I get $0.22 for every copy sold at list price...which is why I've been giving away my 50 copies.)
how come shipping to canada is 20 $ and you only get 22cents, this book is going to end up costing me about fifty dollars

You guys did a great job with the book.
I wish I'd had it awhile back. It would have saved me hours of research on the web, just trying to decide which power meter to buy.

acoggan said:

My cost wasn't far off. I had mine FedEx'd.
It'll be worth it.

Old Junker said:
how come shipping to canada is 20 $ and you only get 22cents, this book is going to end up costing me about fifty dollars

Old Junker said:
how come shipping to canada is 20 $ and you only get 22cents

I have no idea why shipping to Canada is so much, but the reason that I get so little is that is just how the book business works: the publisher takes all the risks, and in return controls practically everything about how a book looks, is priced, promoted, etc., as well as reaps the lion's share of any profits. But, the goal was simply get the word out there out power-based training, not to try to make any money, so I'm not sweating it.

TMD said:
Same here, just got my email notice of shipping. I've got my evening plans for tomorrow.

good news it's out.

I'll order it ASAP. PRobably going to buy a powertap SL with my tax return. I need to know how to use it...

I guess when I pre-ordered from Amazon months back, I selected Super-Saver shipping. Shipped on 6Feb for 22Feb delivery. Even *I* could ride it here faster on my bike!

Even delivery of electronic versions of books takes several hours from Amazon...

cbjesseeNH said:
I guess when I pre-ordered from Amazon months back, I selected Super-Saver shipping. Shipped on 6Feb for 22Feb delivery. Even *I* could ride it here faster on my bike!

Well, sounds like I made the right decision then! Got some reading to do, when my book gets here.

Great to hear about the reviews and it's amazing that one of the authors even posts in this forum!
Holy cow, even though I am new to training with power and this forum, I hope everyone realizes how fortunate you guys are. I come from the financial world and have read tons of finance books, and frequent forums in that world, but have never seen one of the top guys in the field actually posting there. That's really incredible. Even though I don't know you Dr. Coggan, thanks for your time and energy. That's quite over the top.

Bob

cbjesseeNH said:
At least yours shipped - I pre-ordered from Amazon in November and mine hasn't even been shipped yet!

Bob Edberry said:
Hi-
Thanks for any help.
Bob
I just got mine and I learned something in the first chapter even after reading all the FAQs on power. :) In the intro Joe Friel states this is the only book in print he knows about and he's been waiting years for it or something like it to come out.