Training and Racing with Power meter book

Woofer said:
I have a criticism of the book - I don't understand the microstructure of some of the workouts in Appendix B and I might have missed where they explain to macro structure of the whole program. My FTP is pretty close to the example given and I have a weak sprint but the intensity of the L7 workouts seems low and it's based on your FTP - that doesn't seem right. Also for one L6 workout there are 2 minute/1 minute/30 second workouts as Andy recommended in another thread but with just one minute rest between main intervals, then five minutes between sets, and the wattage targets are again based on FTP which seem low to me even though I am weak at L6 time intervals. Is this another case (L4) where one should spend significant time below your max to increase your max?

Actually, there aren't any training programs in the book - only examples specific to hypothetical athletes intended to illustrate application of the ideas put forth. IOW, you shouldn't be trying to apply the workouts directly, even if your abilities are very similar to the examples given.

As for referencing the intensity of level 7 intervals to functional threshold power, that shouldn't be the case...so either the example workouts aren't described clearly enough, or perhaps you're misinterpreting something that was written (not having a copy of the book in front of me, I can't be sure).

One final note: while Hunter and I have worked closely together the last few years, we don't necessarily agree 100.00% of the time on the best way to approach an issue. Thus, if there are apparent discrepancies between opinions that I express online and what seems to be said in the book, it could very well be that it is because he wrote some sections, while I wrote others (in fact, Hunter wrote most of the book, which is why he is the first author...I even suggested that it be "by Hunter Allen, with contributions from Andrew Coggan" since he did most of the work, but he was against that idea).

acoggan said:
Actually, there aren't any training programs in the book - only examples specific to hypothetical athletes intended to illustrate application of the ideas put forth. IOW, you shouldn't be trying to apply the workouts directly, even if your abilities are very similar to the examples given.

As for referencing the intensity of level 7 intervals to functional threshold power, that shouldn't be the case...so either the example workouts aren't described clearly enough, or perhaps you're misinterpreting something that was written (not having a copy of the book in front of me, I can't be sure).

One final note: while Hunter and I have worked closely together the last few years, we don't necessarily agree 100.00% of the time on the best way to approach an issue. Thus, if there are apparent discrepancies between opinions that I express online and what seems to be said in the book, it could very well be that it is because he wrote some sections, while I wrote others (in fact, Hunter wrote most of the book, which is why he is the first author...I even suggested that it be "by Hunter Allen, with contributions from Andrew Coggan" since he did most of the work, but he was against that idea).
Thanks again for your help.

I realize I wasn't exactly clear in my post as to what I meant but you were able to winnow out the meaning of my post without my typing it out!

I also probably should have said my lack of comprehension rather than criticism. :)

On my ride today I was thinking that the book should not have included that generic training plan at all because of the "there is no one size fits all training plan" and there should have been more caveats and explanations for what exactly the theory behind each workout was.

received my copy yesterday...although i was a bit thrown, the one pictured on amazon shows vinokourov on the cover, meanwhile the one i received had someone i didnt recognise!

robkit said:
received my copy yesterday...although i was a bit thrown, the one pictured on amazon shows vinokourov on the cover, meanwhile the one i received had someone i didnt recognise!
if "you are your favorite rider" you should just cut and paste a picture of yourself over it .:) just kidding

I looked at Amazon a couple of days ago, and it looked like it would not ship for months, so I did not order it. I just ordered from Velogear, can't wait to get it.

Old Junker said:
the book will not be out until may, thats what my amazon order told me??? how did you get a copy already?
good news
books are available in canada NOW 3/3/2006 got mine on friday

Great book, I just finished chapter 4. Well written, not overly complicated, considering the relatively complex subject matter. Two thumbs way up!

Old Junker said:
good news
books are available in canada NOW 3/3/2006 got mine on friday
Must be popular. chapters.ca now lists it as 'temporarily not available'...maybe the first run it sold out? You mean I can't get a first edition? ;)

What was your source?

Spunout said:
Must be popular. chapters.ca now lists it as 'temporarily not available'...maybe the first run it sold out? You mean I can't get a first edition? ;)

What was your source?
i used amazon.ca

mloywhite said:
Great book, I just finished chapter 4. Well written, not overly complicated, considering the relatively complex subject matter. Two thumbs way up!
i agree great book i just finished , see page 116 " you can review the data postmortem" great line.

Old Junker said:
i agree great book i just finished , see page 116 " you can review the data postmortem" great line.
Does that mean you can also collect your trophy posthumously? ;)

Old Junker said:

Ouch! Thanks for pointing out the inappropriate word choice...I'll mark it in my master copy to be fixed in any future printing/edition.

acoggan said:
Ouch! Thanks for pointing out the inappropriate word choice...I'll mark it in my master copy to be fixed in any future printing/edition.
hold the presses i LIKE those word choices i think they should stay:)

Old Junker said:
hold the presses i LIKE those word choices i think they should stay:)
i am reading the book it is a must have IMO for anyone who has a power meter!
i think that quote should stay also, especially seeing how i felt after yesterdays workout :)

Another $.06 heading your way, Andy. Don't spend it all in one place. ;)

Flipping through it, the book looks terrific. I can't wait to read it. :)

me too...

it's a freakin great book, I'm still digesting it. It's got more "coaching" ideas than you'll find in the wattage list and some great cyclingpeaks analysis.

This is a must have for any wattage junkie...

when's the book on tape version coming out?