Training and Racing with Power meter book

Woofer said:
:) In the intro Joe Friel states this is the only book in print he knows about and he's been waiting years for it or something like it to come out.
Having just read one of his, I'm sure that's true.

Velo News Store has them and shipped mine about 2 weeks. Great book. Highly recommended.

cbjesseeNH said:
I guess when I pre-ordered from Amazon months back, I selected Super-Saver shipping. Shipped on 6Feb for 22Feb delivery. Even *I* could ride it here faster on my bike!
Pre-ordered Amazon & SuperSaver like you, email said to expect it Feb 18th, it arrived today, Feb 9th, I think it shipped 2 days ago, so you might get lucky! Only had time to skim through, but already reset some of my CyclingPeaks graphs per suggestions in the book, will go to work with my highlighting pen over the next couple of days!

had this book since Feb 3 and seems to give some really good insight into the world of power! Does a good job on explaining things to let you understand how things work.

spooled said:
had this book since Feb 3 and seems to give some really good insight into the world of power! Does a good job on explaining things to let you understand how things work.
Happened to get one of the first editions signed by "the cog" himself and Hunter ofcourse. If your self coached, this is the best book I've come across. I'm sure it's a great reference for professional coaches as well. It fills two needs for me. What is important to know and how to do it. Some of the content of this book is familair if you've lurked the wattage forum and other sites, but it has been masterfully pieced together and is approachable by us non propellerheads:) . Even the deep chapter entitled "beyond average power" could make sense to the average athelete. However, it does smack of some heavy duty science which underscores the credibility of the authors. Can't go wrong with this one.

palewin said:
Pre-ordered Amazon & SuperSaver like you, email said to expect it Feb 18th, it arrived today, Feb 9th, I think it shipped 2 days ago, so you might get lucky! Only had time to skim through, but already reset some of my CyclingPeaks graphs per suggestions in the book, will go to work with my highlighting pen over the next couple of days!
Joy! Mine too has arrived. Now, if it were only PDF available, I could read while on the trainer.

BRET

22 cents? You guys deserve a better deal than that! The publisher makes money from YOUR talent and expertise. What a crock. Speaking of crocks, here's my gripe: I ordered from Hunter's website on 1/18, figuring that my best bet for getting the book first would be to get it from the source. I'm still waiting for it. I know that it was only just released from the publisher, but it looks like I would have been better off ordering from Velo Press and rush shipping it.

At any rate, it's great to have a compendium of power training info available. Thanks Hunter and Andrew for the service that you provide the cycling community!

dieselpower said:
22 cents? You guys deserve a better deal than that! The publisher makes money from YOUR talent and expertise. What a crock. Speaking of crocks, here's my gripe: I ordered from Hunter's website on 1/18, figuring that my best bet for getting the book first would be to get it from the source. I'm still waiting for it. I know that it was only just released from the publisher, but it looks like I would have been better off ordering from Velo Press and rush shipping it.
This depends on where you live and where the particular retailer is. I ordered with the slowest shipping possible and got the book two days after it was shipped.

Woofer said:
This depends on where you live and where the particular retailer is. I ordered with the slowest shipping possible and got the book two days after it was shipped.
My mailbox is still snowed in :(

Got mine on Saturday. Amazon tricked me by never sending a notice that it had shipped.

It's the best "general interest" book I have read to date on training. It's hard to do a book that is serves both the new person and the old hand but it does a very good job of meeting the needs of each without driving the other nuts. Very nice organization and progression, and largely fluff free. I would have left out the buyer's guide portion since it will be outdated in a month and could have been done with a link to an internet site (better self promotion opportunity that way too).

Now if Dr. Evil (Ferrari) would just do a book...

acoggan said:
I have no idea why shipping to Canada is so much, but the reason that I get so little is that is just how the book business works: the publisher takes all the risks, and in return controls practically everything about how a book looks, is priced, promoted, etc., as well as reaps the lion's share of any profits. But, the goal was simply get the word out there out power-based training, not to try to make any money, so I'm not sweating it.
chaching you just got another 22 cents... delivery date march 15th:)

acoggan said:
AFAIK it is the only book on the topic. As for what I think of it, I'm a bit too close to tell. :D
Andy,

In the level 6 workouts (pages 90-91) there is a discrepancy between the exibit and the text description of ride C. The exibit leaves out the "three efforts of 1 minute each, striving for 150 percent of FTP, with a 1-minute rest between each."

Kind Regards,

Matthew

Old Junker said:
how come shipping to canada is 20 $ and you only get 22cents, this book is going to end up costing me about fifty dollars
For all those Canadians out there that want to get a hand on this book...

I was able to take the ISBN to Indigo/Chapters and order it - they said about 5 days - $24.98 Canadian.

Bob Edberry said:
Hi-
I am new to the forum and have just ordered the book by Allen and Coggan on velogear.com . Has anyone gotten this book yet? What do you think? I am new to power training and this book was recommended to me. Is this the only book out there on Training with Power?
Thanks for any help.
Bob
I have a criticism of the book - I don't understand the microstructure of some of the workouts in Appendix B and I might have missed where they explain to macro structure of the whole program. My FTP is pretty close to the example given and I have a weak sprint but the intensity of the L7 workouts seems low and it's based on your FTP - that doesn't seem right. Also for one L6 workout there are 2 minute/1 minute/30 second workouts as Andy recommended in another thread but with just one minute rest between main intervals, then five minutes between sets, and the wattage targets are again based on FTP which seem low to me even though I am weak at L6 time intervals. Is this another case (L4) where one should spend significant time below your max to increase your max?

Pureshot78 said:
Andy,

In the level 6 workouts (pages 90-91) there is a discrepancy between the exibit and the text description of ride C. The exibit leaves out the "three efforts of 1 minute each, striving for 150 percent of FTP, with a 1-minute rest between each."

Kind Regards,

Matthew

Thanks for pointing out the error, Matthew!