Training at HRMax

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Raptor, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Having just gotten my first HR monitor, and done more reading, I've concluded that I was being
    REALLY hard on myself the last 40 years or so.

    A couple weeks ago I did an interval session in a spin class that I feel pegged my HR several times.
    It hurt, literally, felt like a heart attack for a few seconds which nearly scared the piss out of
    me. This was before my recent monitor purchase.

    Questions: Is there any benefit to training at/near HRMax? Is this generally contra-indicated from a
    safety basis, and/or a training effect basis? Under what conditions should we be willing to allow
    our HR to max out?

    I'm going to be going "much" easier on my body from now on. It's rather refreshing.

    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "Let me tell you what else I'm worried about. I'm
    worried about an opponent who uses nation building and the military in the same sentence. See, our
    view of the military is for the military to be properly prepared to fight and win war and therefore,
    prevent war from happening in the first place." George Bush, Nov. 6, 2000
     
    Tags:


  2. Sparks

    Sparks Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Questions: Is there any benefit to training at/near HRMax?

    it's called zone 5, do a web search

    > Under what conditions should we be willing to allow our HR to max out?

    intervals.

    > I'm going to be going "much" easier on my body from now on. It's rather refreshing.

    but very boring

    ________________________________

    Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com
    ________________________________
     
  3. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Having just gotten my first HR monitor, and done more reading, I've concluded that I was being
    > REALLY hard on myself the last 40 years or so.
    >
    > A couple weeks ago I did an interval session in a spin class that I feel pegged my HR several
    > times. It hurt, literally, felt like a heart attack for a few seconds which nearly scared the piss
    > out of me. This was before my recent monitor purchase.
    >
    > Questions: Is there any benefit to training at/near HRMax?

    First do two or three years of aerobic training and in the second year introduce some intervals near
    your Lactic Threshold. In the late second or third year decide which two to three weeks of the
    season you want to be at top peak and in preparation for that you could do some intervals that end
    up about 5 bpm below your actual max HR.

    -WG
     
  4. Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Questions: Is there any benefit to training at/near HRMax?

    There can be some benefit to training at a very high HR.

    : Is this generally contra-indicated from a safety basis, and/or a training effect basis?

    It is not crucial for training to reach your HRmax. See
    http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/train_types.html for starters. Going wildly anaerobic can
    involve some risks.

    : Under what conditions should we be willing to allow our HR to max out?

    If you have a healthy heart, why not. Also the harder you push the faster you can go, so it can make
    sense for races or tests. If you die, it apparently means your heart wasn't healthy.

    --
    Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi
     
  5. [email protected] wrote:
    > If you die, it apparently means your heart wasn't healthy.

    Is your real name Väinö Linna ;)

    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...