Training at HRMax

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Raptor

Having just gotten my first HR monitor, and done more reading, I've concluded that I was being
REALLY hard on myself the last 40 years or so.

A couple weeks ago I did an interval session in a spin class that I feel pegged my HR several times.
It hurt, literally, felt like a heart attack for a few seconds which nearly scared the **** out of
me. This was before my recent monitor purchase.

Questions: Is there any benefit to training at/near HRMax? Is this generally contra-indicated from a
safety basis, and/or a training effect basis? Under what conditions should we be willing to allow
our HR to max out?

I'm going to be going "much" easier on my body from now on. It's rather refreshing.

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "Let me tell you what else I'm worried about. I'm
worried about an opponent who uses nation building and the military in the same sentence. See, our
view of the military is for the military to be properly prepared to fight and win war and therefore,
prevent war from happening in the first place." George Bush, Nov. 6, 2000

In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

> Questions: Is there any benefit to training at/near HRMax?

it's called zone 5, do a web search

> Under what conditions should we be willing to allow our HR to max out?

intervals.

> I'm going to be going "much" easier on my body from now on. It's rather refreshing.

but very boring

Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com

In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

> Having just gotten my first HR monitor, and done more reading, I've concluded that I was being
> REALLY hard on myself the last 40 years or so.
>
> A couple weeks ago I did an interval session in a spin class that I feel pegged my HR several
> times. It hurt, literally, felt like a heart attack for a few seconds which nearly scared the ****
> out of me. This was before my recent monitor purchase.
>
> Questions: Is there any benefit to training at/near HRMax?

First do two or three years of aerobic training and in the second year introduce some intervals near
your Lactic Threshold. In the late second or third year decide which two to three weeks of the
season you want to be at top peak and in preparation for that you could do some intervals that end
up about 5 bpm below your actual max HR.

-WG

Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
: Questions: Is there any benefit to training at/near HRMax?

There can be some benefit to training at a very high HR.

: Is this generally contra-indicated from a safety basis, and/or a training effect basis?

It is not crucial for training to reach your HRmax. See
http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/train_types.html for starters. Going wildly anaerobic can
involve some risks.

: Under what conditions should we be willing to allow our HR to max out?

If you have a healthy heart, why not. Also the harder you push the faster you can go, so it can make
sense for races or tests. If you die, it apparently means your heart wasn't healthy.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

[email protected] wrote:
> If you die, it apparently means your heart wasn't healthy.

Is your real name Väinö Linna ;)

--
Perre

You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.