Training Bike?

Trek

Guest
Hi all

I am looking to buy a second bike which I can use for training when I don't wanna trash my main
bike, which is a Trek 5200. I have heard people refer to 'Winter training bikes' and wondered if
anyone would be kind enough to make comments on the kind of spec/features these typically have.

The trek is what I use when I want to ride at a higher rate of exertion (I don't race) but there's
no way I'd take it out in some of the weather in the winter or when I wanted a more
leisurely/social/less intense ride.

All comments welcome. Budget about £500.

Thanks a lot.

Originally posted by Trek
Hi all

I am looking to buy a second bike which I can use for training when I don't wanna trash my main
bike, which is a Trek 5200. I have heard people refer to 'Winter training bikes' and wondered if
anyone would be kind enough to make comments on the kind of spec/features these typically have.

The trek is what I use when I want to ride at a higher rate of exertion (I don't race) but there's
no way I'd take it out in some of the weather in the winter or when I wanted a more
leisurely/social/less intense ride.

All comments welcome. Budget about £500.

Thanks a lot.

A trek 5200 eh? you lucky jammy jammy sod! I want one of them. Boooooo!

davebee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Trek wrote:
> > Hi all I am looking to buy a second bike which I can use for training when I don't wanna trash
> > my main bike, which is a Trek 5200. I have heard people refer to 'Winter training bikes' and
> > wondered if anyone would be kind enough to make comments on the kind of spec/features these
> > typically have. The trek is what I use when I want to ride at a higher rate of exertion (I
> > don't race) but there's no way I'd take it out in some of the weather in the winter or when I
> > wanted a more leisurely/social/less intense ride. All comments welcome. Budget about £500.
> > Thanks a lot.

500 will get you a good but not super lightweight alloy frame; probably Sora or the equivalent
Campag groupset, most of the dealers in CW will do one at that price. Make sure it has mudguard eyes
/ clearance. There are not many mainstream road manufacturers left in the UK now; Claud Butler and
Carrera tend towards the _racing_ market, but are good value if they do what you want.

"davebee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Trek wrote:
> > Hi all I am looking to buy a second bike which I can use for training when I don't wanna trash
> > my main bike, which is a Trek 5200. I have heard people refer to 'Winter training bikes' and
> > wondered if anyone would
be
> > kind enough to make comments on the kind of spec/features these typically have. The trek is
> > what I use when I want to ride at a higher rate of
exertion
> > (I don't race) but there's no way I'd take it out in some of the weather in the winter or when
> > I wanted a more leisurely/social/less intense ride. All comments welcome. Budget about £500.
> > Thanks a lot. T
>

> A trek 5200 eh? you lucky jammy jammy sod! I want one of them. Boooooo!

Dave

I must confess I did get very very lucky when I bought it a few weeks ago and it was far more than I
ever intended to pay for any bike - I fell in love with it though. It's a 2003 model so the shop had
reduced it by 300 quid and then gave me a very generous 500 quid trade in for my 18 month old trek
1200. The 5200 is a stunner, hence the reason I'm treating it like a baby and want a second bike
that I can use a bit more broadly. Someone suggested a Giant OCR/FCR would fit the bill.

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:14:32 +0000 (UTC), "Trek"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I must confess I did get very very lucky when I bought it a few weeks ago and it was far more than
>I ever intended to pay for any bike - I fell in love with it though. It's a 2003 model so the shop
>had reduced it by 300 quid and then gave me a very generous 500 quid trade in for my 18 month old
>trek 1200. The 5200 is a stunner, hence the reason I'm treating it like a baby and want a second
>bike that I can use a bit more broadly. Someone suggested a Giant OCR/FCR would fit the bill.

I've never understood why someone with a nice bike would want to spend extra to use a shitty bike
most of the time.

"Yeah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:14:32 +0000 (UTC), "Trek" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I must confess I did get very very lucky when I bought it a few weeks ago and it was far more
> >than I ever intended to pay for any bike - I fell in love with it though. It's a 2003 model so
> >the shop had reduced it by 300 quid and then gave me a very generous 500 quid trade in for my
> >18 month
old
> >trek 1200. The 5200 is a stunner, hence the reason I'm treating it like
> >baby and want a second bike that I can use a bit more broadly. Someone suggested a Giant OCR/FCR
> >would fit the bill.
>

> I've never understood why someone with a nice bike would want to spend extra to use a shitty bike
> most of the time.

Then you obviously haven't thought about it have you? In my case it's because I want my nice bike to
stay nice.

Yeah <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:14:32 +0000 (UTC), "Trek" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I must confess I did get very very lucky when I bought it a few weeks ago and it was far more
> >than I ever intended to pay for any bike - I fell in love with it though. It's a 2003 model so
> >the shop had reduced it by 300 quid and then gave me a very generous 500 quid trade in for my 18
> >month old trek 1200. The 5200 is a stunner, hence the reason I'm treating it like a baby and
> >want a second bike that I can use a bit more broadly. Someone suggested a Giant OCR/FCR would
> >fit the bill.
>

> I've never understood why someone with a nice bike would want to spend extra to use a shitty bike
> most of the time.

Because shitty bikes cost a lot less to replace after 3 or 4 lovely British winters. It's not _most
of the time_, just half of it. ;-)

Trek <[email protected]> wrote:

: I am looking to buy a second bike which I can use for training when I don't wanna trash my main
: bike, which is a Trek 5200. I have heard people refer to 'Winter training bikes' and wondered if
: anyone would be kind enough to make comments on the kind of spec/features these typically have.

Your basic "training" bike is usually just a road bike with (ideally) a smidge extra clearance so
you can get 25mm tyres and mudguards on.

THat's it.

Lots of people use their old race bike in the winter when they've bought a new one and bodge
mudguards on somehow.

If you want new, Fort do some nice winter bikes.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

"Yeah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've never understood why someone with a nice bike would want to spend extra to use a shitty bike
> most of the time.

It isn't usually "most of the time", in my case it's from when the roads are first gritted with
salt (November?) until about March. That's about 30% of the year but in fact my road mileage is
less during shitty weather so greater than 80% of my road riding is on the best bike. And I'm quite
happy to use a £1400 mtb to ride in the shitty, gritty peat of the Peak National Park all year
round but it is maintenance heavy and buggers the paint. Anyway, it's another pleasure when spring
arrives to get on a lightweight, responsive, clean and shiney bike and put some miles in, and it
won't be long now :)
--
Regards, Pete

"Trek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all
>
> I am looking to buy a second bike which I can use for training when I
don't
> wanna trash my main bike, which is a Trek 5200. I have heard people refer to 'Winter training
> bikes' and wondered if anyone would be kind enough to make comments on the kind of spec/features
> these typically have.
>
> The trek is what I use when I want to ride at a higher rate of exertion (I don't race) but there's
> no way I'd take it out in some of the weather in
the
> winter or when I wanted a more leisurely/social/less intense ride.
>
> All comments welcome. Budget about £500.
>
> Thanks a lot.

Try and get something as close to the fit and geometry of your Trek.

Graham

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Trek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi all
> >
> > I am looking to buy a second bike which I can use for training when I
> don't
> > wanna trash my main bike, which is a Trek 5200. I have heard people
refer
> > to 'Winter training bikes' and wondered if anyone would be kind enough
> > make comments on the kind of spec/features these typically have.
> >
> > The trek is what I use when I want to ride at a higher rate of exertion
(I
> > don't race) but there's no way I'd take it out in some of the weather in
> the
> > winter or when I wanted a more leisurely/social/less intense ride.
> >
> > All comments welcome. Budget about £500.
> >
> > Thanks a lot.

> Try and get something as close to the fit and geometry of your Trek.
>
> Graham

Thanks to all who replied. I managed to get my hands on a 2003 model Giant FCR2 for 250 quid less
than RRP today. It will really suit my needs and if I go touring I can stick one of those seatpost
clip on racks on the back. Mudguards may be a bit tricky but I'll live.

Not what I entended to get but it was a bargain at the price and I have to say it just 'felt right'
when I rode before buying - which is always the best indicator to me. I am chuffed to bits - whilst
not anywhere near the Trek it's a decent enough bike in its own right and I reckon I got it for a
steal. Should suit me for years.

Cheers

Trek <[email protected]> wrote
> Thanks to all who replied. I managed to get my hands on a 2003 model
Giant
> FCR2 for 250 quid less than RRP today. It will really suit my needs and
if
> I go touring I can stick one of those seatpost clip on racks on the back. Mudguards may be a bit
> tricky but I'll live.

May be better with a saddlebag than a seatpost rack. For mudguards, try the SKS raceblades. They'll
at least keep the **** down to knee level