Training Block

tbrown524

Jun 20, 2005
I'm planning on taking a cycling vacation next month with the intention of doing 80-100mi rides a day for five days straight in San Diego,Ca. I'm considering this to be my poorman's training camp. My plan is to do those rides in 7-8 hours at moderate intensity so I can recover for the following days workout. Besides riding long distance daily I'm planning on partaking in at least two race type group rides of 25mi each.

Two weeks after my vacation there is a race here in SoCal that I would like to do well in.
There isnt' much information on the web regarding training blocks. Although I have read about runners/cyclist improving after they have recovered from a training block.

Now for the questions.

#1. Anyone have experience with training camps/blocks? Was there an noticeable increase in fitness followlling it.

#2. Advice on methods to help me recover for the follwoing day's workout. I figure that I'll need drink recovery drinks, drink whey protein, eat a decent size meal, get a massage(anyone recommend a cheap place in SD), yoga, and the sauna at the local gym.

#3. I've found a few rides in SD that I will like to do.. Of course the Tour of California route. Any other routes that is a must do in SD. I need at least two flat routes to do between tough rides. Please also list group rides that are during the week(M-F)

Any other helpful advice...

Thanks

tbrown524 said:
I'm planning on taking a cycling vacation next month with the intention of doing 80-100mi rides a day for five days straight in San Diego,Ca. -snip- Besides riding long distance daily I'm planning on partaking in at least two race type group rides of 25mi each.

Two weeks after my vacation there is a race here in SoCal that I would like to do well in.
There isnt' much information on the web regarding training blocks. Although I have read about runners/cyclist improving after they have recovered from a training block.

Now for the questions.

#1. Anyone have experience with training camps/blocks? Was there an noticeable increase in fitness followlling it.

#2. Advice on methods to help me recover for the follwoing day's workout. I figure that I'll need drink recovery drinks, drink whey protein, eat a decent size meal, get a massage(anyone recommend a cheap place in SD), yoga, and the sauna at the local gym.

#3. I've found a few rides in SD that I will like to do.. Of course the Tour of California route. Any other routes that is a must do in SD. I need at least two flat routes to do between tough rides. Please also list group rides that are during the week(M-F)

Any other helpful advice...

Thanks

1. Yes, there can be an increase in fitness following a training camp (where the assumption is that you are doing more than your regular training). However, whether you will do well at a race 2 weeks later would depend on factors like how well you recovered, and what type of training led up to the camp, besides what was actually done at the camp. It would also depend largely on how much of a "hole" you dug and where you are at 2 weeks later - this is difficult to quantify without a power meter and software like WKO, where you can see how your Training Stress Balance was affected.

2. Sure, all of the above + be careful to maintain energy levels on the bike so as to avoid a bonk, which will affect you the next training session. Also don't forget the timing of your re-fueling, which, if you have a ride planned less than 24 hours afterwards, means you should eat as soon as possible after comleting that day's workout.

3. Sorry, can't help you here.

Besides the above, I would add:
What do you plan to accomplish during your camp? What are your objectives, and how do they help you to reach them, as well as your goals for the season? Those objectives will tell you what you need to work on during your camp. Simply riding miles for the sake of riding miles probably isn't very productive - but this depends on your situation.

Good luck, San Diego sounds pretty nice from where I'm sitting at now (still in the midst of winter!)

The goal of my personal training camp is to just to get in around 400+miles. No "real" goals but I'd like to improve my climbing and endurance. I'm not a very good climber and usually avoid climbing during my weekly rides. So majority of the rides I will be doing are climbing rides.

My races are criteriums so most of my training is geared towards doing well in them. I'll be including a few race pace training rides while in SD but the majority of my rides will just be miles at moderate intensity.