Training Books

mattjf

Jul 31, 2005
I'm looking to buy a book on cycling training. I've been riding for a few years now, so I have a base built, but I want to start racing next spring. The thing I probably need to work the most on is sprinting. I've done some searches and it seems Friel's book is generally considered the best? I've also seen references to Charmichael's books. Any other suggestions?

-Matt

I have them all....and all are incomplete because they want you to get personal training from them.
BY FAR the best book is Greg Lemonds Complete Book of Bicycling......old but good. Just doesn't have info on power training. www.amazon.coim

Well in addition to the ones you mentioned...there's also been some mentioning about "Serious Cycling" by Edmund Burke. I just picked up this book during my lunch period today...since I didn't see any others mentioned here.

High-Performance Cycling edited by Asker Juekendrup

Tons of research, Asker works with Pro teams and National teams in Europe and the book has several chapters written by some of the top researchers from the US, Europe and Australia. A good companion text to High-Tech Cycling.

Nothing on technique or racing but a good set of guidelines. Most of the books on coaching riders is pretty basic. Stuff you can learn by doing group rides. LeMonds book is one of the better ones as is Eddie Borysewicz. Both tell you what to do in a sprint and give some examples from racing on what happens in the real world.

Cheers

Hamish Ferguson

I'm interested in everyone's opinion on this too. I would like more info on proper conditioning and workout strategies/techniques as opposed to riding skills esp. in competition.

I just got an indoor bike with a power meter so I want to be able to train right.